Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas bottle

JohnCalifornia

JohnCalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hi everyone, just got my new to me Cali and I’m just wondering where you buy your gas from? I’m assuming you take your empty bottle and they give you a new one full of gas? I’ve seen Go Outdoors mentioned and Halfords for the gas re fills

You can buy a new full gas bottle from the places youve listed.

You need to start with an empty bottle first. Get one off ebay or marketplace etc. Then take that to exchange it. Go outdoors etc. I exchange mine at the local boat yard.

Top right of the forum there is a search box. Great for answering the most basic questions and most if not all of the ones you been asking. For this one, as people have said above.
Buy a bottle. Full or empty. Goggle will list hundreds of places you can buy from. Even locally.

Full. Use till empty. Go swap for a new one.
Empty. Go swap for a full one. Repeat when empty.

Yep got it now. I have a bottle in the van so I’ve ordered a digital suitcase scale to weigh it and see how much is on it then I’ll use what’s in it then find a supplier and swap for a full one. This is all new to me but very exiting. How much should I be paying for a full bottle on an exchange basis?

Yep got it now. I have a bottle in the van so I’ve ordered a digital suitcase scale to weigh it and see how much is on it then I’ll use what’s in it then find a supplier and swap for a full one. This is all new to me but very exiting. How much should I be paying for a full bottle on an exchange basis?
It’s pretty dear - £35-£40 for a refill. Cheaper on the continent.

That’s great , thanks
I wouldn’t rely on that website. In my local area 8 of the first 10 retailers listed no longer exist. Gooutdoors is a pretty reliable source but there will be plenty of options local to you if you Google it. 907 and 904 both fit, with the former being most economical. I have both, the larger 907 in the gas locker and the smaller 904 as a reserve for longer trips where I might run out. Enjoy your van.

Wow it is quite pricey isn’t it? Is there a time scale the gas has to be used or can it be left in there for say a year?

Don't forget that most places will not accept a bottle in exchange without the screw in handle. The can be bought on ebay for around a fiver if you haven't got one.

Don't forget that most places will not accept a bottle in exchange without the screw in handle. The can be bought on ebay for around a fiver if you haven't got one.
Mmmm, not to sure I have seen one. There is a gas bottle connected up in the hole where it lives. Where would you store one of these? In the same place as the bottle somewhere? I’ll take it out over next few days and check it…

Mmmm, not to sure I have seen one. There is a gas bottle connected up in the hole where it lives. Where would you store one of these? In the same place as the bottle somewhere? I’ll take it out over next few days and check it…
That’s where I keep my cap.

I've had this problem before. It was then enough for me to take the "screw" of the new one and to give it for the vacuum one, and it was done.

Bought a new (exchange one) yesterday - £46. We had lost the handle but the guy just removed the handle from the ‘new’ one and screwed it on my empty.

The 907 canister weighs in at 6.5 kg when full and 3.8kg when empty. We use two, one of them floats around in the back of the van for bbq and as a back up.

Must be the most expensive butane in history but it is neat and tidy.

Hi everyone, just got my new to me Cali and I’m just wondering where you buy your gas from? I’m assuming you take your empty bottle and they give you a new one full of gas? I’ve seen Go Outdoors mentioned and Halfords for the gas re fills
Hi I got mine from

brilliant serive arrived in 2 days in post and a great price for full container!

The 907 is expensive gas, our local place charges £48 for an exchange cyclinder, whereas he charges £29 for an exchange patio gas cylinder. Go Outdoors in Swindon wanted £55 for an exchange and £90 for a new full 907.

The 907 is expensive gas, our local place charges £48 for an exchange cyclinder, whereas he charges £29 for an exchange patio gas cylinder. Go Outdoors in Swindon wanted £55 for an exchange and £90 for a new full 907.
Newbury gas centre £38.00 for a refill.