Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solution for how much gas is left in the bottle

Moakesy

Moakesy

Moakesy
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I stumbled across this tip on the internet to check how much gas is left in a bottle, and it seems to work....

- Boil the kettle
- Remove the gas bottle from your Cali
- Pour the boiled water on the side of the bottle
- Wait a few seconds so as to not burn yourself
- Touch the side of the bottle, the metal is cool where the gas is and VERY hot where there is no gas

I've just tried it with both my Cali bottle and the BBQ bottle, and it works a treat!!

Way less hassle if you simply weigh it.
I am not boiling water to trow away .....pretty useles imo. That way you only are spilling water and gas...:(

Weighing doesn't work unless you have a reference point at least this way he can check it any time.

Weighing doesn't work unless you have a reference point at least this way he can check it any time.
Use a small lugagge hand balance or kicthen balance :
Weight netto / brutto,is on the botlle , balance shows actual content ....what do you think is still missing ?

All bottles do have an empty weight displayed on the bottom of the cylinder. As other we just use luggage weighing scales.

Why not just weigh the new cylinder when you get it, so you can compare it later?

Why not just weigh the new cylinder when you get it, so you can compare it later?

No need to , it's on the botlle ....if not readable ...as per above by @WelshGas ,
Afther a few months in use just weigh it and count it off from the full weight.

How quick are you guys getting through a bottle? I don't think I've ever used a whole one in a year. I keep a spare at home & swap depending on how long we are going to be away.
The current spare is almost empty - I use it for the BBQ at home, so will get that refilled & put in the van before the next long trip & then finish off the current van one using the BBQ.

OK, then what do you do in the middle of nowhere and you can't get a bottle?
I’d have a weeks worth of gas to plan how to get a bottle. Doubt I’d ever be THAT far from civilisation.

Truma sell a devise that tells you how much gas is left in your cylinder and it works...not cheap though but nor is gas

Not civilisation but Campingaz Gas Retailers. In some countries not that common.
Looks like there are plenty in Europe?
Do you carry a spare WG?
I have thought about carrying a smaller (904 or 901?) to fuel a bbq, and act as a spare if necessary but would prefer to just carry one bottle and and if necessary a canister bbq.

Last edited:
Looks like there are plenty in Europe?
Do you carry a spare WG?
I have thought about carrying a smaller (904 or 901?) to fuel a bbq and act as a spare if necessary but would prefer to just carry one bottle
I carry a 904. Virtually no Campingaz available in Scandinavia.

Last edited:
Back