Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First UK road trip

M

MrsDarcy

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi there
So we now have our Cali, we’re set up and raring to go. In July we plan to do a 7-10 day trip. There’s so many options, I’m wondering what you would advise and which area of the UK? (We live in Kent)
Do we book several days at one campsite or do we book a different one every night/2 nights and go further rather than just one area? Do we have to book anywhere at all? Could we get away with parking up on a quiet road/area of beach on the odd night for example? (Obviously know we will need to hook up at some point)

thanks in advance x

Hi there
So we now have our Cali, we’re set up and raring to go. In July we plan to do a 7-10 day trip. There’s so many options, I’m wondering what you would advise and which area of the UK? (We live in Kent)
Do we book several days at one campsite or do we book a different one every night/2 nights and go further rather than just one area? Do we have to book anywhere at all? Could we get away with parking up on a quiet road/area of beach on the odd night for example? (Obviously know we will need to hook up at some point)

thanks in advance x

Goodness, the world is your Oyster, or east least the M20 out of Kent is :)

I would aim to spend at least a couple of nights on a good facility campsite, until you really understand what you like and don't kite about living in a camper access to showers, washrooms and toilets will be a blessing.

How many are there of you? If only two adults what do you like seeing? Hills, mountains, lakes or ABC tours (Another bloody city, castle, cathedral etc,,,). Do you have any other activities to plan for? (Cycling, running, etc)

If totally free and easy then put a map of the Uk on the wall and throw darts at it ....

You will need a good campsite planner, I use search for sites but there are dozens

Thank you GrannyJen. We actually live 45 minutes from Dover and 20 minutes from eurotunnel so yes Europe is pretty easy for us, cannot wait to get going there, but not this year.
There are 2 of us. Hubby is a keen cyclist, I’m happy to explore with my little dog, read write, chill and just be. I think we will play it safe as this is our first trip and not go tooooo far. Maybe Devon. Like you say, lots to learn!

Thank you GrannyJen. We actually live 45 minutes from Dover and 20 minutes from eurotunnel so yes Europe is pretty easy for us, cannot wait to get going there, but not this year.
There are 2 of us. Hubby is a keen cyclist, I’m happy to explore with my little dog, read write, chill and just be. I think we will play it safe as this is our first trip and not go tooooo far. Maybe Devon. Like you say, lots to learn!

Or keep going straight and North to Norfolk, stopping at Cambridge. Brilliant cycling in Cambridge - Norfolk - Suffolk, beaches, broads, level walking, interesting places (so much to see around Cambridge). Good safe campsites, Caravan club well represented, with nice facilities. I've just come back from the CAMC site at Cherry Hinton, easy cycling into Cambridge, Duxford museum a short drive away, dog would love the chalk pit nature trail just over the road, pub around the corner when trying to cook in a small space gets too much,

Goodness, the world is your Oyster, or east least the M20 out of Kent is :)

I would aim to spend at least a couple of nights on a good facility campsite, until you really understand what you like and don't kite about living in a camper access to showers, washrooms and toilets will be a blessing.

How many are there of you? If only two adults what do you like seeing? Hills, mountains, lakes or ABC tours (Another bloody city, castle, cathedral etc,,,). Do you have any other activities to plan for? (Cycling, running, etc)

If totally free and easy then put a map of the Uk on the wall and throw darts at it ....

You will need a good campsite planner, I use search for sites but there are dozens
All good advice, definitely treat it as a learning curve, as will be the first few trips away. As you are going July, we would recommend staying away from popular areas and going somewhere quieter. Too far for your first trip but give Northumberland a visit when you want to go further afield. Beautiful area and always very quiet.

Have a great time in your new camper. Agree with all the advice on seeing what works for you. I would start with camp sites and see what facilities you use. Also handy to have sites with some sort of public transport option or good walks/pubs nearby if you want to leave the van parked up. Lots of places in the UK are going to get super busy this year and campsites booked up, so maybe think of going off the beaten track a bit? A few years ago (not in the van) we wanted to go away in Aug and instead of the Lake District headed to rural Lancashire, Ribble Valley/Forest of Bowland way. Absolutely stunning and hardly anyone there. Enjoy your trips!

Lovely, thank you everyone. Looking forward to this next chapter of our lives x

By the looks of the number of both DIY and professional van conversions being done currently it will not be a normal year for touring as sites will be very full or fully booked this year.

It may well be wise to spend time planning your trips and booking ahead.

Hi there

thanks in advance x
If not done already, I'd suggest doing a couple of overnighters to make sure you are ok and discover what you need.

Then build up to 2-3 night stays. Do you need a little more space? i.e. an awning? When you go to sites have a look around and check out other camper vans to see what they are using....and be prepared to start a conversation or two.

The temptation early on is to go and spend on all sorts of things, only to find that they take up space and perhaps are more trouble than they are worth.

Many sites will have a min 2 nights policy. So this will give you a chance to look around and try stuff out. Try sleeping upstairs and downstairs. Which suits best?

We started out taking pillows and sheets and quilts from home, but quickly found that they take up so much space and really you can get away with a good quality sleeping bag. I'd recommend that you have separate bags as moving in the confines of the camper inside one bag can be stressful....although fun!!!

Then decide what you are going to do regarding toilet. Having wild slept with a porta potti, we now prefer to book in to a site that has facilities. The porta potti is only used in emergency. But still well worth having....stowed under sink. Strickly no No2's!

And then there is the cooking. Are you happy to prepare and cook inside the van? We have seen many owners have the facilities and only use it to boil water. We tend to eat out one night then cook in the next. Fine having a bbq, but when it is blowing a gale and chucking it down it is no fun. You have the fridge in the Ocean so get used to the controls and use it.

Also remember that to really get to the rear storage area you will need to get outside and open the rear door. So we now use cloth boxes (with zipped lids) from Ikea and place these on the mattress at the rear...one for all things boots and shoes, and one each for clothing. These are easily to get to over the rear seat and means that everything is not on show.

As others have suggested, get out there and enjoy. You'll have some great times I'm sure.

Hi there

thanks in advance x
Hello MrsDarcy,
When we got our first Cali we took off up North. I should also mention that we too, live in Kent, 20 minutes from Eurotunnel.
Night 1 - was wild camping in a remote country lane somewhere in the Midlands. It was well away from any habitation. Unfortunately it wasn't well away from the A1M. It was bl**dy noisy.
Night 2 - was in a C and MH site in the Yorkshire Dales.
Night 3 - was in the Lake District.
Night 4 - was at a Certified site near Blackpool. We think it was so called because you needed to be certified to stay there! Not the nicest site we've stayed at.
Night 5 - Stayed on another Certified site near Ludlow. That site was great.

During our trip we visited some of our favourite areas including:
York.
North Yorkshire Moors.
The Yorkshire Dale's.
The Lake District.
The Long Mynde in Shropshire.
Carding Mill Valley " " " .
Kington in Herefordshire.

It was a lovely shake down trip.

We later did another 7 - 10 day trip around Wester Ross and the Outer Hebrides. If you do that I'd advise booking your ferry crossings in advance.

Last edited:
I think its all a bit trial & error for the first few trips.
Im about to head out on my maiden voyage but only to my brothers in Cheshire parked in his field!
I have booked 2 seperate trips to Devon & Cornwall, & have opted for 2 nights on several different sites as although Im heading for the quieter sites I need to familiarize myself with what I like & dont like on a site! As somebody has said this year is going to be busy so best to book & plan ahead I believe but above all how exciting!!