Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Finding a campsite in the Uk

Nich

Nich

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
We are planning a trip to The UK after easter and would love some advise on finding campsite. Which APP or book gives the best options ? We seek quiet places with toilet and showers all over the country.

Where do I get headlights stickers?

Are there any Covid restrictions for us with 3 injections?

How about Wifi in The UK. Can I buy a sim card with data that I use with my Huawei router.

Looking forward hearing from you
Greetings from Denmark

Your best bet is to probably to join either or both the Caravan and Motorhome Club and/or the Camping and Caravaning Club. Both have large numbers of big and small sites all over the UK.
A data only SIM should work in your router, I use the 3 (Three) network for data only and find it works well. There are other providers of data only SIMs.
Good luck - enjoy.

The ones on sale in the UK will usually be for Brits going to the Continent (with right hand drive vehicles), not the reverse. But I'd guess you can buy them from an online retailer in DK.

Or, you could order them from Amazon UK, I think they will ship to DK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001P5UVTE/?tag=eliteelect-21

At the moment you still have to pre-complete a 'passenger locator form', see: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19

By the time you travel that rule might well have ended of course.

Once you are in the UK... in England all covid regulations have ended and they will end by 30 March in Wales and Scotland too.

We are planning a trip to The UK after easter and would love some advise on finding campsite. Which APP or book gives the best options ? We seek quiet places with toilet and showers all over the country.

How about Wifi in The UK. Can I buy a sim card with data that I use with my Huawei router.

Greetings from Denmark
Agree about Caravan and Motorhome Club and/or the Camping and Caravaning Club. Both have web sites and apps. If you are coming by ferry they may have headlights stickers. When in the UK try Halfords. I buy via ebay you may have the same option in Denmark.

For Covid - https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control

I've been booking sites today on the caravan & Motorhome clubs site & there is very little availability for Easter.

I've been booking sites today on the caravan & Motorhome clubs site & there is very little availability for Easter.
We just do a google search of "campsites near me" when we get to the area we want to stay. its a good way of finding decent sites that aren't particularly well advertised.

Greetings from Denmark
Hi, we have booked a Ferry (and Harry Potter Studios/ Warner Bros. in Warfort & visit to Windsor) for the Easter holidays. We have been using searchforsites for many years or see if we come across a small campsite for a pitch. We are not a member of a caravan club and do not know if this is necessary. You just see if you think it's necessary. We do not have stickers on the front lights. We had to buy a passport for the four of us now and have to fill in a lot more online than before. I shall see how smooth the trip is, but don't expect any hassle. Also none for covid, let’s hope it stays that way (just a passenger location form).
Have lot’s of fun and enjoy! It is a great country and lovely people and it is very beautiful. They have good food and beverages (not so much the beer, sorry people from the UK).
Greetings from Belgium
Calibusje

Last edited:
Searchforsites app for campsites.
Superdrug mobile for a SIM card: get one in any of their stores: no contract . Or else Tesco supermarket do one.
Headlight converters LHD>RHD in the ferry shop or terminal.

Just after Easter you should have no problem finding sites. When you hit summer season many will be booked up although that tends to be the ones with electric hookup. We get quite a few pop-up sites opening up in the summer which adds to the capacity (many listed on Pitchup) which are basic - e.g. farmers field with tap and a portaloo. You can always find these and if needed go shower in a leisure centre. Covid restrictions have pretty much ended.

Hi Nich,
If you avoid the main Easter schools break you should be okay finding what you’re looking for. Like you, we like the ‘full service’ sites with showers, electric, and flushable toilets. We use a variety of sources, from Google Maps / Reviews (usually get recent photos etc plus a link to the site website), Caravan And Motorhome Club, Alan Rodger’s guide, UKcampsite.co.uk and Pitchup.

If you use Caravan And Motorhome Club, I’d recommend looking to take membership if you can, as you’ll quickly get your annual fee back after a couple of weeks’ camping through the reduced rates. Also, I’d look to see what deals are available on the ferries through CAMC - we’ve saved £80 on a booked trip to France, and a semi planned trip to Ireland is over £100 cheaper, although you don’t seem to get so much flexibility as available (at a price) when booking direct.

There’s a free website https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ which lists most of the campsites in the UK. You can search via map or text location and there are lots of filters to refine your search. It also has honest reviews by actual people who’ve visited the sites, so you can get a real feel of what a place is like and whether it will suit you.

How lovely to wake this morning with all yours advices, I enjoy this site and thanks to you all.

I'm member of the VW California Club Denmark and we hope you will use us as much as we use you.
The Headlight stickers are available for sale on most Ferries, in their onboard shop.
Take note however, Ferries from UK to the Netherlands - it is a requirement of the Netherland Government that ALL passengers from UK to the Netherlands , whether fully vaccinated or not, have a Negative PCR test within 48 hrs of travelling at the present time. Hopefully this will be gone by Easter.

How lovely to wake this morning with all yours advices, I enjoy this site and thanks to you all.

I'm member of the VW California Club Denmark and we hope you will use us as much as we use you.
Denmark is definitely on our “to go to” list over the next couple of years. We‘re hoping to visit Denmark, Sweden, Norway. Look out for camping tip requests heading your way!

Denmark is definitely on our “to go to” list over the next couple of years. We‘re hoping to visit Denmark, Sweden, Norway. Look out for camping tip requests heading your way!
Do, I'd say. We were in Denmark in 2014 and it resembles flat Netherlands and you certainly drive around just as beautiful. What we did: Legoland & Lalandia aquadome in Billund, Odense (Hans Christian Andersens birthplace), museum with Viking ships in Roskilde, Tivoli park in Copenhagen, the Christiania district, of course also known Nyhav, Møns Klint, Egeskov castle (unbelievable collection of vehicles, etc.! ), and also a lot of touring and enjoying the scenery.
Have fun looking up!

Last edited:
For the same reason we wait til after easter
We can’t wait until after Easter: two little children. Oh well, It is therefore best that there are also those who choose to go outside the school holidays, otherwise then it will get really busy :D So each has its own holiday period, have a great one!

Bit late in the conversation but I use an app called Archies Campings (yes that's spelt right) which has literally every site in Europe on it and is constantly updated. Type in area and it searches with links to websites and also opens directions in Sygik or which ever Sat Nav you use. If no websites there's a description of it with links to some review websites. App is also free!!

Back