Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drain holes on sliding window ??

Chico

Chico

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello all , where are the sliding window drain holes and how do you unblock them ?? Thax

There is some variation but mine only have the round hole and not the narrow slot. There is another towards the back too. covered in the rest of the above thread.

Sorry, you mustn't stop the sliding windows leaking down the inside of the van! It's a requirement of all T5s & T6s to have this fault!;) For those who haven't got it yet please be patient.

• Haha
Reactions: Sad

The drain system is in two pieces which should be bonded/glued together to channel the water to the outside of the metal bodywork and through the glass to body bonding. On all the T5s or T6s that I have had it is the join between the two parts that comes apart and lets the water run inside instead of outside.
The join is immediately below the round home in the runner so if you poke anything down with any force you stand a chance of parting the two pieces.
Easy way to see where the water comes out of the drain channels is to take the lower trim from the lower slide and use a very small funnel to pour some water into the hole. I even sent a video of this to VW many years ago in the hope that they would find a fix and/or modify the parts but even after eighteen years they still haven't done anything about it.
This picture is from a RHD with left sliding door but the same applies for all four drain channels.

Still from video_01.jpg

Hello all , where are the sliding window drain holes and how do you unblock them ?? Thax
The drain is a very bad design and blockage is a common problem

There are two drains on each sliding window. One at the opening end which can be seen easily and one towards the back which is always covered with the sliding section of the window trim.

The round hole is very short and turns sharply towards the outside of the van. It also changes shape to become a slot. This slot then turns again downwards as it exits behind the glass bottom edge outside. The slot can become blocked very easily.

A blast of photographic canned air may well dislodge the blockage or a thin length of electrical cable. possibly 1mm lighting cable could work if you have some about.

If you can find where the drain exits underneath the bottom edge of the window outside, it may be possible to clean this out too.

That is the best I can suggest short of taking the window out!

Alan

I gave up on my Multivan and just silicon sealed the window - but not before the leak had warped the door card and rusted the seat bases. It wasn't clear if the leak was a blocked drain or worn slider pins (or both). I need to sell it next year so will have to replace the damaged bits and probably the window too.

Cut and pasted from previous thread .......
There are 2 sets of drain on each window the 2 slots flush with the glass as in @EddieEagle‘s post #6 (see link below) and two that are hidden at each end of the slot that the window slides in. The hidden ones are part of the window moulding and seem to have a design flaw that (in some cases) allows water to flow down the inside of the door or kitchen unit. My side window had to be replaced due to this flaw.

On the T5s lat least, the round sliding pins wear flat, meaning the window doesn't seal firmly against the felt strip.
When I had a poke around a 6.1, the felt strip was soft rubber and would probably do a better job if kept clean.

That's assuming the drains are clear of course.

On the T5s lat least, the round sliding pins wear flat, meaning the window doesn't seal firmly against the felt strip.
When I had a poke around a 6.1, the felt strip was soft rubber and would probably do a better job if kept clean.

That's assuming the drains are clear of course.
It’s an easy fix Bob, I had similar issue on my T5.1, corrected with the replacement catch kits.
I removed the whole window units on my T5.1, cleaned all the rubbers and treated them with several coats of Gummi Pflege, cleaned all mating surfaces, runners etc, drain holes were flushed out with warm clean water (syringe) whilst the windows were out (black crud come out down the side of the van)
changed the opening mechs for inexpensive new ones (eBay),
silicone spray to the runners and plastic and a drop in each drain hole, (front and rears) job was all good, no more leaks.

there is a vid on YouTube somewhere that shows the removal of the window units ( there is a possibility of breaking the glass, so go carefully)

I’ll have aquick look and post the vid if I can find it

edit:

here you go

Last edited:
It’s an easy fix Bob, I had similar issue on my T5.1, corrected with the replacement catch kits.
I removed the whole window units on my T5.1, cleaned all the rubbers and treated them with several coats of Gummi Pflege, cleaned all mating surfaces, runners etc, drain holes were flushed out with warm clean water (syringe) whilst the windows were out (black crud come out down the side of the van)
changed the opening mechs for inexpensive new ones (eBay),
silicone spray to the runners and plastic and a drop in each drain hole, (front and rears) job was all good, no more leaks.

there is a vid on YouTube somewhere that shows the removal of the window units ( there is a possibility of breaking the glass, so go carefully)

I’ll have aquick look and post the vid if I can find it

edit:

here you go
Excellent thanks! Assuming I don't break the pane when levering it out, it looks easy enough.
My slider pins are worn flat like his, and I can't see any drain holes either. I'll pop a repair kit on before I sell it, but I think I'll leave it sealed up for now.

Hardest part is finding a new inner panel to replace the warped one under the window, I think it'd be easier just to buy a sheet of MDF and make one!

Excellent thanks! Assuming I don't break the pane when levering it out, it looks easy enough.
My slider pins are worn flat like his, and I can't see any drain holes either. I'll pop a repair kit on before I sell it, but I think I'll leave it sealed up for now.

Hardest part is finding a new inner panel to replace the warped one under the window, I think it'd be easier just to buy a sheet of MDF and make one!
Buy a pre cut one from one of the many conversion co. on auction site , pre drilled holes, already carpet lined, simple off with the old on with the new, 10 minutes work :cheers

Back