Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does your T6.1 double skinned Bellows leak?

Does your T6.1 roof bellows leak? please add month of build & colour if possible

• Yes leaks

Votes: 58 71.6%
  • No doesn't Leak

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • October 22 - November 22

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • December 22 - January 23

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • February 23 - March 23

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • April 23 - May23

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • June 23 - July 23

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Replaced & doesn't leak

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Replaced & still Leaks

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Red or Blue canvas, not grey

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters
An incredibly poor, tone deaf response. VW need to take their heads out of the sand and properly own the issue. I’m surprised they don’t retrofit single skin bellows until they have a design fix on the ‘improved’ double skin model. Our MY22 van has had no leakage problems with the single skin bellows.
We had 4 years of no issues with our "MY19" Ocean. (Single skin bellows).

Quick update for you all.
Just had a phone call from vw vans customer services . They have acknowledged there is a design issue with the bellows and are replacing the stock of bellows with modified ones . Sounds like it's early days and I know the new stock is low at the moment,looks like they are just about to roll the bellow replacement out so would suggest you talk to your van centre to get in the queue
Good luck

Quick update for you all.
Just had a phone call from vw vans customer services . They have acknowledged there is a design issue with the bellows and are replacing the stock of bellows with modified ones . Sounds like it's early days and I know the new stock is low at the moment,looks like they are just about to roll the bellow replacement out so would suggest you talk to your van centre to get in the queue
Good luck
Great news. If they’re modified does that mean the original bellows can be modified instead of replaced I wonder? Does your VW contact know anything about this @Joncali2023!! ?

Are we sure these aren’t the C version which are already known to leak?

Are we sure these aren’t the C version which are already known to leak?
I doubt it. He stated that they are in the process of removing all stock and replacing with modified ones.(also said that the reason they are removing existing stock is so that the 4eplacments can be ordered under the original part number. Not the most sensible idea from my experience but I guess that's VW's way.

This all fits with what I was told. As far as I know, the C version gradually replaced the previous suggesting some minor change. This iteration seems significant enough to warrant removing all current stock before releasing the new version.

Remove stock and use the same part number as the old leaking bellows so that no one will know which iteration they have. Brilliant! What!! Bound to get some old ones that slip through that big hole!

Last edited:
Remove stock and use the same part number as the old leaking bellows so that no one will know which iteration they have. Brilliant! What!! Bound to get some that slip through that big hole!
Maybe they’ll just modify all the old stock, so part number will have to be the same. Removing all the old ones first is only way to be systematic so they don’t get them mixed up.

Another leaking 'C' variant replacement bellows from Calibord. Exactly where my original fabric leaks. Owner says he thinks the horizontal seam is slightly less permeable compared to the old one. Not good enough VW. I really hope the 'new' old part thats been discussed here has some major mitigations.

leaks.jpg

Just been called by Gary from VWCV to say that he’s been made aware that my 73 plate California has failed the bellows test (it’s in the dealers now) and there is a modified set of bellows available as of last Thursday. This will be ordered and fitted as soon as possible. He believes the modified part has Taped seams but hasn’t seen one as yet. Will report back on leaking or not quite soon.

I’m pleased at the support from the dealer and VW. I’ve had a Mercedes with issues and had no support at all in the past.

This is all very promising, consistent messaging after several months of silence. Thank you all for keeping the forum updated. Will be interesting to see if these new bellows are visibly different (perhaps with taped seams) as well as better performing out in the field.

I too had a call from VWCV today and was told the same. All the old version 'C' products have been removed from the supply chain (well, within VW at least - can't comment on if the dealers have any).

The newly designed version 'C' is on it's way. When Betsycalifornia says they were available as of last Thursday, that might not mean they were actually physically in stock at the VW warehouse in the UK. It may well mean they have been manufactured, are available for dealers to order and are somewhere between VW Germany and the UK. Customer care weren't sure which.

I too was impressed by the handling of my call today and have some extra confidence that VW are all over this...

Interesting that they still call it a C version.
My Cynical side is telling me that the old C bellows that are being removed from the supply chain are going back to the factory to be seam taped and then released again along with new C bellows that will look the same…

Interesting that they still call it a C version.
My Cynical side is telling me that the old C bellows that are being removed from the supply chain are going back to the factory to be seam taped and then released again along with new C bellows that will look the same…
Yes, it does sound like this might be what’s happening, but I’m not sure it really matters. If the roof becomes watertight within reasonable conditions, and therefore completely usable, then I think that’s ok. And it’ll still be the really top quality feeling 2 layer canvas so will retain the lovely feel inside the van.

Indeed; having used a MY22, the feel of the MY23 canvas is much nicer. Fingers crossed they get it sorted!

Fingers crossed a resolution is in sight.

We realised ours leaked very early on (and flagged this with our dealer and VWCV). Since then we’ve not really let the bellows get wet.

I’ve seen a couple of comments where people have wet the bellows, then put the roof down and experienced dampness inside. If you are one of these people, are you happy that the dampness was as a result of the leaks through the seams, as opposed to the saturated fabric itself?

Fingers crossed a resolution is in sight.

We realised ours leaked very early on (and flagged this with our dealer and VWCV). Since then we’ve not really let the bellows get wet.

I’ve seen a couple of comments where people have wet the bellows, then put the roof down and experienced dampness inside. If you are one of these people, are you happy that the dampness was as a result of the leaks through the seams, as opposed to the saturated fabric itself?
This also makes me nervous about the dealer testing of the bellows, which seems to be part of the current process to getting a replacement. It’s not hard to imagine a dealer causing problems or water stains as a result of their water test.

Just been called by Gary from VWCV to say that he’s been made aware that my 73 plate California has failed the bellows test (it’s in the dealers now) and there is a modified set of bellows available as of last Thursday. This will be ordered and fitted as soon as possible. He believes the modified part has Taped seams but hasn’t seen one as yet. Will report back on leaking or not quite soon.

I’m pleased at the support from the dealer and VW. I’ve had a Mercedes with issues and had no support at all in the past.
Hello, sorry if this is a stupid question, by vwcv do you mean the vw customer care team? Our bellows are booked in to be replaced in 2 weeks, but they've had the replacement bellows since August - just been too busy to install them and would like to raise this post with dealer to make sure the latest version is installed, thank you.

Hello, sorry if this is a stupid question, by vwcv do you mean the vw customer care team? Our bellows are booked in to be replaced in 2 weeks, but they've had the replacement bellows since August - just been too busy to install them and would like to raise this post with dealer to make sure the latest version is installed, thank you.
Yes.

VWCV Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

VWCV Customer Care / Exec office are handling this.

If your dealer already has the bellows they aren't the latest ones so you should sort that out.

VWCV Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

VWCV Customer Care / Exec office are handling this.

If your dealer already has the bellows they aren't the latest ones so you should sort that out.
I would speak to VWCV Customer Care first for advice on how to proceed as the replacement bellows awaiting fitting will not resolve the leaks. The dealer may not be fully up to date on the issue.

I would speak to VWCV Customer Care first for advice on how to proceed as the replacement bellows awaiting fitting will not resolve the leaks. The dealer may not be fully up to date on the issue.
Thank you, we'll get on to them this week...

Tale up the seams on a 70k vehicle, because they can’t be bothered spending anymore money to find a real resolution.
How long before the tape needs replacing? Thee tape certainly won’t last as long as a normal Cali roof …..
it seems a botch job to keep you all quiet!
Most of you are already pretty happy with this fix.

And I can’t see how tape will stop water pooling in the pockets around the windows etc…

VWCV (customer service) seem pretty adamant they're making sure all old stock is recalled and seem to be speaking to each dealer in turn with regards to specific leaking bellows cases to ensure they aren't fitting old stock.

I am reassured - all indications are this is being taken seriously.

Back