Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does your T6.1 double skinned Bellows leak?

Does your T6.1 roof bellows leak? please add month of build & colour if possible

• Yes leaks

Votes: 58 71.6%
  • No doesn't Leak

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • October 22 - November 22

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • December 22 - January 23

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • February 23 - March 23

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • April 23 - May23

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • June 23 - July 23

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Replaced & doesn't leak

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Replaced & still Leaks

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Red or Blue canvas, not grey

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters
@andyinluton - This may be better handled using something like SurveyMonkey. What do you think?
Or does it need to be kept within the forum?

Well so far 15 votes, 11 positive for leaks over the period October 22 to July 23.
How many Californias with the new bellows were sold in this period, in the UK?

Well so far 15 votes, 11 positive for leaks over the period October 22 to July 23.
How many Californias with the new bellows were sold in this period, in the UK?
We used to have this all the time (not saying it’s the same here Higgins, before you yell at me). Looking at the forums you would think the world was on fire but then checking the number of actual failures and issues in the field it was < .5% of the vehicle pool and you realised that they were all on the forum.

That said, everyone deserves to have their van in full working order, not be fobbed off by dealers with half truth replies, even if just the one. The slow rolling of all OEMs for any of these issues though has always frustrated me, especially when working in the middle of it.

We used to have this all the time (not saying it’s the same here Higgins, before you yell at me). Looking at the forums you would think the world was on fire but then checking the number of actual failures and issues in the field it was < .5% of the vehicle pool and you realised that they were all on the forum.

That said, everyone deserves to have their van in full working order, not be fobbed off by dealers with half truth replies, even if just the one. The slow rolling of all OEMs for any of these issues though has always frustrated me, especially when working in the middle of it.
Oh don’t get me wrong. I agree it should be sorted, but the degree of urgency shown by VW, and the manufacturer of the bellows, which I very much doubt is VW, is going to be influenced by the % of complaints .

As I’ve said elsewhere, I find it strange that a new “ improved “ component is introduced on the last model of the line.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I find it strange that a new “ improved “ component is introduced on the last model of the line.
Unless a change in supplier (previous gone out of business?), material availability etc..? That said, even if that was the case, you'd expect the bellows design to be pretty much the same, even if made by someone else.

@andyinluton - This may be better handled using something like SurveyMonkey. What do you think?
Or does it need to be kept within the forum?
You are right , it probably does, unfortunately I actually have to do some work over the next couple of days so don't have time to sort something out. I was just going to let this run for now - it's certainly not as clear cut as I thought it was going to be.

I think actually just another poll on here for those whose roofs don't leak asking for manufacturing date might be useful.

Or indeed if your roof doesn't leak has it actually got wet yet!

Last edited:
You are right , it probably does, unfortunately I actually have to do some work over the next couple of days so don't have time to sort something out. I was just going to let this run for now - it's certainly not as clear cut as I thought it was going to be.

I think actually just another poll on here for those whose roofs don't leak asking for manufacturing date might be useful.

Or indeed if your roof doesn't leak has actually got wet yet!
I’m sort of in the last category there; it has got wet but not really at the front, so I’m holding off adding my response until my van has had a drenching.

I’m sort of in the last category there; it has got wet but not really at the front, so I’m holding off adding my response until my van has had a drenching.
Same here. Canvas hasn't seen enough water for long enough to allow me to be on one side of the fence or the other.
And having spent several hours washing and waxing it I'm in no hurry to expose it a heavy downpour voluntarily.

Just spent rainy and windy night near Oban and pleased to see no leaks on my blue bellows. Manufacture date April 23.
So the question here is were you parked tail into the wind? If so, it'll be like my weekend, so the rear and sides of the bellows got a proper soaking, but the front didn't really get anything due to the wind driven rain and the slight overhang of the roof.

Just spent rainy and windy night near Oban and pleased to see no leaks on my blue bellows. Manufacture date April 23.

View attachment 111939
Am curious what the Pers. Nr. is, as yours differs to mine which is 2215 - mine leaked heavily on left hand side (front not really tested so far) and noted that 2215 was the same as another “leaker” on here. Maybe Person who assembled it, maybe a coincidence until we have more tags.

Am curious what the Pers. Nr. is, as yours differs to mine which is 2215 - mine leaked heavily on left hand side (front not really tested so far) and noted that 2215 was the same as another “leaker” on here. Maybe Person who assembled it, maybe a coincidence until we have more tags.
I will "tag capture" mine tomorrow and post it up as I can get to the tag without having to put the roof up.

Speaking of which, I assume everyone else has the same battle to get the sliding cover over the fabric? I know the MY22 Ocean I hired it just slid across with no effort at all but the fabric was less bulky. More notably, it's the front of the bellows that's the bit I have to fold and push around to get the sliding cover to close . . . I wonder if there's any effect on the seams from this? I also wonder if the "fix" ends up being some sort of seam sealant if it will be up to resisting that kind of repeat stress?

I will "tag capture" mine tomorrow and post it up as I can get to the tag without having to put the roof up.

Speaking of which, I assume everyone else has the same battle to get the sliding cover over the fabric? I know the MY22 Ocean I hired it just slid across with no effort at all but the fabric was less bulky. More notably, it's the front of the bellows that's the bit I have to fold and push around to get the sliding cover to close . . . I wonder if there's any effect on the seams from this? I also wonder if the "fix" ends up being some sort of seam sealant if it will be up to resisting that kind of repeat stress?
Do you unzip the front before lowering?

We are facing West towards the sea and the wind and rain was coming diagonally from the South East predominately onto the passenger side and the front. Not often I go looking for rain ( mind you seems to be wet every atm ) but I had read the post wrt the new bellows and wanted to trial it in the rain as we hadn’t camped in it since we picked it up 3 weeks ago. Here for another couple of days and will continue to monitor ( I am sure there will be lots more rain !)

We are facing West towards the sea and the wind and rain was coming diagonally from the South East predominately onto the passenger side and the front. Not often I go looking for rain ( mind you seems to be wet every atm ) but I had read the post wrt the new bellows and wanted to trial it in the rain as we hadn’t camped in it since we picked it up 3 weeks ago. Here for another couple of days and will continue to monitor ( I am sure there will be lots more rain !)
Sounds promising! For the full test you need to rotate your van by 45 degrees each day . . . ;)

Quick question. Has anyone had their van in to check the leaking roof under warranty and been told there’s nothing wrong with it? I’m worried their rain test will be inadequate and they then try to charge me £354 for the privilege of getting it checked.

Quick question. Has anyone had their van in to check the leaking roof under warranty and been told there’s nothing wrong with it? I’m worried their rain test will be inadequate and they then try to charge me £354 for the privilege of getting it checked.
I think if you've got solid photographic evidence of it leaking, explain to them exactly the conditions it leaked in then if they choose to do their own thing, you might have some comeback? If you wanted to be extra thorough, you could pop the roof in the rain and in conditions you think it's likely to leak in, then when it leaks, do a video too of both the leaking, then pan to the outside of the vehicle to both show the weather conditions and the rain hitting the front of the bellows? Still photos won't really show rain very well so a video would be better.

I will definitely be getting it out when it rains again and will get better evidence prior to my visit. After all, I’ve got almost two months before they can fit me in so plenty of time!

Being honest, the “threat” of a charge to look at it after I’ve spent almost £70k on a van that leaks in two places (roof and tailgate) just feels like a kick in the teeth.

Yes I'm fairly sure I recall seeing another dealer quoting the same "investigation cost"; doubtless because they're panicking VWCV wont' necessarily authorise any remedial work and/or recognise it as a "failure", in which case I assume they can't recharge VWCV for the costs incurred.

I'm in the same boat as you as you know when it comes to timescales, so I am hoping that in the nearly 2 months there will be some progress with VWCV at least recognising the issue if not with a fix.

I’m sure it is because the dealer may not be able to recover any costs of investigation should they not find a fault. I will be calling VW Customer Service before the appointment to see if I can get some kind of assurance they accept there are faulty roofs and will ensure the dealer won’t charge me in any instance.

Adding copy of my bellows tag. If others can do the same then may aid some detective work to find a common thread (no pun intended - given it appears to be the stitching leaking !)

View attachment 111818

Mmmm; That's funny on the tag the date is 290223, which would be February 29th 2023. Right?
This date didn't exist because 2023 is not a leap year... So much for german accuracy :bananadance2

Mmmm; That's funny on the tag the date is 290223, which would be February 29th 2023. Right?
This date didn't exist because 2023 is not a leap year... So much for german accuracy :bananadance2
The poptops could be made outside Germany eg Poland

Back