Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do I miss the old Split Bus?

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
Having just got back from a vintage VW bus show in Belgium everyone kept asking do we miss our lovely old bus?
And shocked when we say not at all!!!!
Then they realise we get 38 mpg, cruise fast in comfort, getting with no aching arms or back at end of 300 mile trip! And then they look inside.... :eek: :D
Our Belgian friends made a special display for us in the show as we no longer qualify to park in the show -a sort of Old vs New display - us alongside a vintage Split Camper. We actually had more people (including hardcore old bus bus purists) looking all over and taking pics of the Cali than we did when we were there in our 67 Devon last time!!!!!
Rock on!

Nice to hear your comments David expecially from a hardcore splitty owner :thumb or should I say a former owner. A case of head ruling the heart :thumb

I agree David ..... Since selling my 71 westy and getting my Cali more people at shows are interested in it than other old busses around me ....
I don't regret it at all and have used the Cali more in 2 months than my bay in a year ...:)

We saw similar at the IOW show this weekend David. Of course there are purists out there who are old Skool and you'll never change them but there are a new breed of interested people looking for reliability and extra comfort with their families.

We saw quite a few old motors with people crouched down under the back of them tinkering to keep them running as well as a couple of break downs during the Saturday morning drive out.

Also I think people are beginning to realise that the cost of converted vans hovers dangerously close to the price of a Cali now.

You'll still never take away the smile you see when someone sees a Splitty. :thumb

You are right stu .. A splitty does make you smile when you see one and drive one ,so the split & Cali must have something in common :)

choplee said:
I don't regret it at all and have used the Cali more in 2 months than my bay in a year ...:)
likewise!!!!!

Hi David
I've a copy of your book 'VW Camper-The inside story' from my 67 Canterbury Pitt owning days, seems we both went full circle.
Time makes the memory fonder but I do miss that hypnotic air cooled purr as I trundle down the French B roads, I don't miss the roadside mechanics and and the lottery as to whether you'll actually get to your destination though :D

Cheers

Neil

Not quite the same but our friends parents have just bought a Cali in the same spec, age and colour as ours (!) but kept their Bay for the kids to use. They used to drive their Bay to Italy regularly (they have a house there) doing 50ish the whole way on around 20-25mpg!! It's a lovely looking thing but it's full of issues like a leaking roof, engine issues (they throw big money at it to keep it running), etc and it's tiny inside.

Very cool but IMO trying too hard is the new geeky thing to do. :thumb

love the calie .but have had 2 splits in the past .and would still love one more .just got to love seeing a split on the rd :thumb

Back