Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diff lock price?

It has been discussed here many times: the use for the mechanical rear diff lock on a 4Motion is very limited. ONLY when BOTH front wheels have lost traction AND one of your rear wheels, THEN it could help (but you still have the electronic diff lock breaking your spinning rear wheel in that situation...).
Such a situation is rare and could most probably have been avoided by careful driving. I would invest the money in an off-road driving training. That will benefit you more than the diff lock... ;)

Thank you SusiBus, precisely the info I was looking for.

For information:

I've read through the technical details of the 4 motion transmission and in particular the Haldex coupling, TBH I'm not sure the mechanical lock is really needed..... however that one time I might need it and looking to the future, when I come to sell I suspect for most potential 4 motion buyers not having it might prove to be a deal breaker . So I've decided to add it to my option list.

Thank you to all those who have contributed.

4 motion info found here: Version: https://vwpress.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/ssp_333_e.pdf

That was exactly my take on it. If I ever need it once it will have been worth it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

That was exactly my take on it. If I ever need it once it will have been worth it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Hi all
I have a 2012 4 Motion DSG with electronic diff lock - engaged with the button on the dash.
Here's the thing..... When my 2 yr old grandson is riding shotgun with Grampy ie- sitting in his child seat on the front passenger seat - his right foot/toe is alarmingly close to the EDL button! He sometimes presses the "Hazards" button but as yet hasn't engaged the diff lock. I understand that with 4 wheel drive this will operate up to 50mph. What happens if his toe switches on the diff lock at a higher speed? .......Disaster.....or will it not engage?
Unfortunately the child seat cannot be secured on the rear bench as the seat belts are too short and the seat doesn't have isofix.
Any advice / suggestions welcome

What will happen - expensive bill, very expensive.

I'm very surprised your vehicle does not have a. Isofix in the rear b. Seat belts too short in the rear.

As far as I am aware all Californias post 2010 had Isofix, Look at the rear of the Bench seat from the boot to see if you have the Isofix fittings.

Secondly - all seat belts are of a standard length and on mine rear are as long as front. I have no problem fitting baby seats in the rear with the seat belt.

What will happen - expensive bill, very expensive.

I'm very surprised your vehicle does not have a. Isofix in the rear b. Seat belts too short in the rear.

As far as I am aware all Californias post 2010 had Isofix, Look at the rear of the Bench seat from the boot to see if you have the Isofix fittings.

Secondly - all seat belts are of a standard length and on mine rear are as long as front. I have no problem fitting baby seats in the rear with the s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops, hit the reply button too early. Think he means that his child seat doesn't have isofix.

Oops, hit the reply button too early. Think he means that his child seat doesn't have isofix.

Yes, I see. But it should still fit with the seat belt. My granddaughter uses one of those seats when she is in the Cali and it fits no problem. The seat belts are plenty long enough if you pull them out slowly to stop the inertial lock engaging.

Slightly off topic, but I also got the under engine grounding protection which I was very happy about when I hit a hidden rock in a field with tall grass - That could also have been an expensive bill too!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for your thoughtful reply WelshGas,
I have decided the best option is to attach a 20cm seat belt extender - allowing the child seat to be located on the rear bench seat much more easily.
Regarding the EDL button on the dash - according to a VW dealer the system should only engage when the vehicle is moving slowly - but they were not 100% sure!
I have emailed 'VW technical' to hopefully get a more definitive answer - will post when/if received.

Regarding the EDL button on the dash - according to a VW dealer the system should only engage when the vehicle is moving slowly - but they were not 100% sure!
Any diff lock system can and will only engage (and disengage!) when standing still or with the differential turning very slowly. It may take some time sometimes before the lock engages or disengages properly.

Take care especially when disabling the lock: drive very slowly and don't make turns until the diff lock really disengaged. Many people do take care when engaging the lock, but tend to sort of forget that when disengaging, and try to drive on too fast too soon after hitting their button, thinking: "OK, lock is off!"....

I am puzzled by your naming it an EDL button... The Electronic Diff Lock cannot be engaged/disengaged, it is 'always on' in the Haldex system until a certain speed, and is basically your ABS kicking in and trying to brake a wheel that is spinning. At least that has always been my understanding and is what I have been taught and have experienced in our 4Motion trainings.
I have never seen a button to switch on/off the EDL.... Is that different with you, because you have DSG? Are you sure you are not talking about the mechanical diff lock? That can be engaged/disengaged with a button...

This is what the on line technical documentation says on EDL:
"The electronic differential lock permits smooth, comfortable starts on split-friction road surfaces with differing levels of grip. If one wheel starts to spin, the electronic differential lock will brake the wheel as necessary, directing power to the wheel with better grip in the process. The electronic differential lock reduces tyre wear and operates at speeds of up to around 40 km/h (4MOTION: up to about 80 km/h). As a software function, it forms part of the electronic stability control (ESC) and traction control (ASR)."​

Last edited:
Any diff lock system can and will only engage (and disengage!) when standing still or with the differential turning very slowly. It may take some time sometimes before the lock engages or disengages properly.

Take care especially when disabling the lock: drive very slowly and don't make turns until the diff lock really disengaged. Many people do take care when engaging the lock, but tend to sort of forget that when disengaging, and try to drive on too fast too soon after hitting their button, thinking: "OK, lock is off!"....

I am puzzled by your naming it an EDL button... The Electronic Diff Lock cannot be engaged/disengaged, it is 'always on' in the Haldex system until a certain speed, and is basically your ABS kicking in and trying to brake a wheel that is spinning. At least that has always been my understanding and is what I have been taught and have experienced in our 4Motion trainings.
I have never seen a button to switch on/off the EDL.... Is that different with you, because you have DSG? Are you sure you are not talking about the mechanical diff lock? That can be engaged/disengaged with a button...

This is what the on line technical documentation says on EDL:
"The electronic differential lock permits smooth, comfortable starts on split-friction road surfaces with differing levels of grip. If one wheel starts to spin, the electronic differential lock will brake the wheel as necessary, directing power to the wheel with better grip in the process. The electronic differential lock reduces tyre wear and operates at speeds of up to around 40 km/h (4MOTION: up to about 80 km/h). As a software function, it forms part of the electronic stability control (ESC) and traction control (ASR)."​

The electronic diff lock works atomatically between the front and rear wheels, the mechanical diff lock locks the rear wheels to drive at the same time
So if you were to jack one front wheel and one back wheel of the ground your van would not move because of the front and rear differentials engage mechanical diff lock and you can drive off
If you could have diff lock on two wheel drive you would get out of most situations

I second the opinion that the on off button is for the mechanical diff lock at the rear. Not the EDL. Poster has probably realised their mistake by now. Happy 4 motion adventures.

Btw, our MY2008 Cali had ISO fix fittings in the rear seat. We use these with our two year old and normal seat belt on child seat for our 8 year old. We'd never have either kids riding up front. No need to, and safer in the back.

The electronic diff lock works atomatically between the front and rear wheels, the mechanical diff lock locks the rear wheels to drive at the same time
So if you were to jack one front wheel and one back wheel of the ground your van would not move because of the front and rear differentials engage mechanical diff lock and you can drive off
If you could have diff lock on two wheel drive you would get out of most situations
Not correct, I'm afraid, Rik.

The EDL (which doesn't really exist, it is just a software function having your ABS kicking in trying to brake the spinning wheels) works independently on all four wheels in a 4Motion. If one front wheel and one rear wheel are spinning simultaneously, the system will brake the spinning wheels, and you will still have traction on the other front and rear wheel.

See the 4Motion/Haldex manual (attached to this post), page 17:

100% slip on one wheel at the front and one at the rear
In theory, propulsion is not possible in this situation: There is no driving power at any of the wheels due to the power distribution of the axle differentials.
On the Golf and the Transporter, however, the four- wheel EDL intervenes here and ensures propulsion with the other wheels. The wheels that are slipping are braked and the tractive force is transmitted to the wheels via the differential with a greater positive engagement potential.

Attachments

• ssp_333_e 4MOTION with Haldex Coupling Model Year 2004.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
Back