Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diff lock price?

itscalledbob

itscalledbob

Home is where you park it
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Apparently the 4 motion doesn't come with a diff lock!

It is an option but it isn't listed in the price list.

Anyone know how much it is?

T6 DIFF LOCK (mechanical)
Option code 1Y4
£470 Inc VAT (List)

Last edited:
That's a tough decision. Seems silly to go 4WD and leave it off but then the chances of it ever being required are almost zero.

Rear Mechanical diff lock - current NZ price $1500.00, was $1650.00 for a VW Multivan 4Motion in 2010. Cheaper now eh. Since buying the Multivan in 2013 I've used it twice. Nice to know it's there but don't seem to need it much. No mech rear diff lock on our new 2008 Cali 4motion. Hoping we don't miss it. Guessing we wont.

Was 700 pounds in our Beach configurator
Cost me 540 after discount. Might be more because it is for Beach.

Apparently the 4 motion doesn't come with a diff lock!

It is an option but it isn't listed in the price list.

Anyone know how much it is?
The 4Motion does come with an Electronic Diff Lock - just like many of the Land Rover 4 x 4's but not a Mechanical Diff Lock.

It is not really locking any differential electronically but classically applying breaks to spinning wheels to boost more torque to other wheels.
Diff lock option is a mechanical locking feature through the electronic control system via a button on a dashboard.

T6 DIFF LOCK (mechanical)
Option code 1Y4
£470 Inc VAT (List)

Thank you SusiBus, precisely the info I was looking for.

For information:

I've read through the technical details of the 4 motion transmission and in particular the Haldex coupling, TBH I'm not sure the mechanical lock is really needed..... however that one time I might need it and looking to the future, when I come to sell I suspect for most potential 4 motion buyers not having it might prove to be a deal breaker . So I've decided to add it to my option list.

Thank you to all those who have contributed.

4 motion info found here: Version: https://vwpress.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/ssp_333_e.pdf

It is not really locking any differential electronically but classically applying breaks to spinning wheels to boost more torque to other wheels.
Diff lock option is a mechanical locking feature through the electronic control system via a button on a dashboard.
Having had a mechanical Diff Lock explode the Transfer Box on my Defender due to transmission wind up, it failed to disengage although both mechanical lever and warning light indicated it had, I'm not a great fan. If the Haldane Coupling and the electronics are good enough for Land Rover then it is good enough for me. Have fun but be very, very careful because it can be very expensive if it malfunctions.

The 4Motion Technical Information is really scary, when you think VW can't even get the options right on their configurator when processing new orders without even getting oily fingers, how the hell they will manage to repair a 4motion is more than a bit concerning!

Anyway a bit late for concern , because we've ordered a new T6 4Motion with diff lock.

The thinking behind it was we do mostly wild camping and when driving off road to access remoter spots, not necessarily thinking that we're going to be mud plugging, it's really reassuring to think that you have all the options to get you out of wherever you might be getting yourself into. This gives you the confidence to explore that little bit further, but I must confess previously we have not needed the diff lock to get us out of where we've accessed, YET! although having a diff lock on SusiBus T5.

If you're having all the other bells and whistles I think a diff lock is worth considering for several reasons, you may want to visit Iceland, travel to the Alps in the winter, enhancing the resale value, or in our case just exploring that little bit further off road!

One of the reasons we have stopped taking part in this forum is the view by some that 'you need 4WD/DSG/a bigger engine' to enjoy your Cali and be 'adventurous' you don't..... the Cali is wonderful peace of kit whatever 'options' you have....for us 'simplest is best' but that's our choice....we 'wild camp', tow boats, carry cycles etc etc with a basic manual 140 Cali...it's brilliant...

If you can get around off-road with the basic spec transmission then that clearly makes you more 'adventurous' :)

That's what I have on order and I'm sure I'll manage fine ...

In some situations difflock might be more useful than built in kitchen :D

If you can get around off-road with the basic spec transmission then that clearly makes you more 'adventurous' :)

That's what I have on order and I'm sure I'll manage fine ...
We had an adventurous day on Sunday at the local point to point - muddy slippy conditions but the standard manual set-up coped well enough. I do plan to get winter / mud tyres when the existing need replacing tho -

if available - a diff lock mechanism on the two wheel drive would be an attractive option - i would have ticked it

After our last skiing trip and my friends struggling with chains and me driving back and force with 4x4 I am 100% sure 4motion was a proper choice )
I bet won't have to use diff lock in years. But the huge advantage of a difflock it that you can clear some ground with almost no spinning, in case you don't want to ruin some nice grass places :)
In order for electronic "kinda of difflock" to work you have to do pretty much of a wheel spin.

At least if you have a basic 2 wheel drive no diff lock camper when you do get stuck you can always get a 4x4 diff locked one to pull you out. If your in a 4x4 and stuck who's going to rescue you?

At least if you have a basic 2 wheel drive no diff lock camper when you do get stuck you can always get a 4x4 diff locked one to pull you out. If your in a 4x4 and stuck who's going to rescue you?
It can soon get tedious for the others on your trip to keep rescuing you..

Probably more appropriate for land rover defenders - the more capable the off roader , the further from help you will be when you do get stuck....

Bear in mind these bits of kit aren't specially developed for the Cali. It's not an off road vehicle. That doesn't mean you can't equip it so and use it.

It's purely marketing, VW selling bits from the generic parts bin.

If you like toys and have the cash, tick the box. I would.

Back