Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coast...

Someone on here the other day described the 6.1 Ocean as an Ocean with a full options pack added. I like that description. So, comparably, a Coast is almost a T5/6 Ocean minus the electric roof.
I agree here.

I think the key is to try to avoid more than one of the big 1k plus options on a Coast. So no LEDs, no fancy alloys, no upgraded satnav, no climatronic. The good thing is that these are all the type of things that are very tempting in the showroom but which fade into the background after months of use. That why you avoid a hit on residuals. Will be interesting to see in several years how the existence of the Coast affects Ocean residuals too.

I think residuals for all the vans are going to face downward pressure in a couple of years though. Higher availability of 2nd hand vehicles; a return to post covid holiday normality and less tolerance of big Diesel engines could be a perfect storm. For me, I’m thinking of our new van as a lifer purchase so not worrying about that.

I agree here.

I think the key is to try to avoid more than one of the big 1k plus options on a Coast. So no LEDs, no fancy alloys, no upgraded satnav, no climatronic. The good thing is that these are all the type of things that are very tempting in the showroom but which fade into the background after months of use. That why you avoid a hit on residuals. Will be interesting to see in several years how the existence of the Coast affects Ocean residuals too.

I think residuals for all the vans are going to face downward pressure in a couple of years though. Higher availability of 2nd hand vehicles; a return to post covid holiday normality and less tolerance of big Diesel engines could be a perfect storm. For me, I’m thinking of our new van as a lifer purchase so not worrying about that.
Residual value has never crossed my mind in my decision on purchasing one.
If that is your main concern, don't buy one.

Residual value has never crossed my mind in my decision on purchasing one.
If that is your main concern, don't buy one.
It’s not for me either. I intend to use it for its full life. If I can get a few hundred quid for scrap metal in 20 years I’ll be happy. However residuals are a big factor for many people who buy the van since it’s so expensive and it’s a sensible consideration to factor into the real cost. Arguably the main consideration.

It’s not for me either. I intend to use it for its full life. If I can get a few hundred quid for scrap metal in 20 years I’ll be happy. However residuals are a big factor for many people who buy the van since it’s so expensive and it’s a sensible consideration to factor into the real cost. Arguably the main consideration.
Depreciation is by far the biggest cost when buying a new vehicle. At the moment at least, Cali’s are one of the better options

My understanding is you have to have 1/4 tank for heater to work. So if you have 70L tank then that’s 17.5L. If you spec the bigger 80L tank then I guess you need now to have 20L ...
Correct, but that doesn’t mean you have to have the 80 L tank to allow effective use of the Parking Heater and that VW have too do a “ Massive “ recall because of this as stated by the OP.:thumb

Correct, but that doesn’t mean you have to have the 80 L tank to allow effective use of the Parking Heater and that VW have too do a “ Massive “ recall because of this as stated by the OP.:thumb
no, you don't need 20 liters to turn on your auxiliary heating with the 80 l tank.. ;) You just have 10 liters more fuel and this for only 76 euros ... and more certainty that you have the so-called necessary 1/4 tank of fuel.

Last edited:
My work van has heated seats and windscreen, it’s chilly further up north...
I might drop the power door now I know it beeps, doh
If the door is self closing it beeps but you can get power latching soft closing side door and the tailgate rear door , that option doesn't beep

Oh I didn’t know it beeped, I was thinking not having to slam door waking up the site etc, I got a quote of 55k from Drive the deal with all the above options, j 57k from a dealer
Go for power latching, not the electric sliding....that’s where the van does the last bit of closing without you needing to slam it. The “beeping” can reverberate through a campsite when nipping out for a beer (wee) late at night!!!

Go for power latching, not the electric sliding....that’s where the van does the last bit of closing without you needing to slam it. The “beeping” can reverberate through a campsite when nipping out for a beer (wee) late at night!!!
Yep power latching is what I need

Don't think you can spec lower latching on a Coast, have tried looking and seems it's either full electric or nothing...

Ok, this will be our first campervan, tried to pick some options that we won’t regret not having in years to come, thoughts..
COAST
Ascot grey
LED front / rear lights
Removable towbar
Privacy glass
Panoramic front window in rooftop
Reversing Camara
Heated windscreen
Heated seats
Power closing side door, soft close?
Mud flaps

So this will be around 6 k cheaper than a ocean with added the options.
My thinking is, the difference can be used to pay for general running costs, insurance, road tax etc etc for a few years..
Soft Close, yes. Power closing, no.

Ok, this will be our first campervan, tried to pick some options that we won’t regret not having in years to come, thoughts..
COAST
Ascot grey
LED front / rear lights
Removable towbar
Privacy glass
Reversing Camara
Heated windscreen
Heated seats
Mud flaps

My thinking is, the difference can be used to pay for general running costs, insurance, road tax etc etc for a few years..

Hi, one option that is sometimes overlooked is 'Climatronic with second evaporator and second heating system', because occasionally there is a misunderstanding of what it actually gives you.

If you have children / dogs etc that will be travelling in the back of the van, this option really is great. It effectively adds a second A/C and heating system in the back of the van with digital temperature adjustment. The rear temperature can also be adjusted from the front control panel too, meaning that if you can hear your dog panting or children moaning they are too hot/cold you can turn it up/down as needed.

Our friends have a T6 Transporter conversion and went across Europe in 2019 and the kids nearly melted in the back as the cab air conditioning just isn't up to cooling the entire van. The climatronic on the Cali really is excellent and does a great job if you need it.

Hi, one option that is sometimes overlooked is 'Climatronic with second evaporator and second heating system', because occasionally there is a misunderstanding of what it actually gives you.

If you have children / dogs etc that will be travelling in the back of the van, this option really is great. It effectively adds a second A/C and heating system in the back of the van with digital temperature adjustment. The rear temperature can also be adjusted from the front control panel too, meaning that if you can hear your dog panting or children moaning they are too hot/cold you can turn it up/down as needed.

Our friends have a T6 Transporter conversion and went across Europe in 2019 and the kids nearly melted in the back as the cab air conditioning just isn't up to cooling the entire van. The climatronic on the Cali really is excellent and does a great job if you need it.
This was the only expensive option I put on my Coast. We plan long summer trips with kids in the back so I consider it essential. Without it there are no rear air vents at all and you only have that little side window to open. The kids would melt hot weather.
Having said that; if you don’t have rear passengers it’s probably something to skip.

COAST
Ascot grey
LED front / rear lights
Removable towbar
Privacy glass
Reversing Camara
Heated windscreen
Heated seats
Mud flaps

Re heated seats/ windscreen: Coast has remote control heater as standard, this clears all window frost in 10 mins and warms the cab nicely too ime.

Used Coast on Fleabay for 50 quid shy of 60k

Used Coast on Fleabay for 50 quid shy of 60k
Yes I saw that too - made me bit sad to think somebody had ordered themselves a lovely 2 tone Coast & now having to sell it :(

I agree with a lot: I also find the price difference unjustifiable. Each his own choise, of course.
Just to clarify: We did not order larger aluminum rims but 17 inch steel rims: we had to take these because we have larger brakes because it is a 5-seater with us (we wanted this because we will be in the california with 5 regularly, it will also be my daily vehicle, the current opel grandland is leaving). So the rims (and larger brakes) are the result of our 5-seater option.
Larger fuel tank: we have been told and read -correct me if I'm wrong- that with the latest generation (perhaps also the T6 but this I do not know) the auxiliary heating does not want to start if there is no certain percentage of diesel present, hence the option 80 liter tank to be sure of sufficient fuel (option of .... 76 euros).
Here, double glazing is reserved for the ocean and we actually wanted this: it certainly has its use (based on our experiences and contacts with campervans without double glazing), but we opted for the next best thing: heat-resistant glass.
We don't want the electro-hydraulic roof: manual works perfectly and no risk of problems during a journey.
The LED lighting: way too expensive, we ordered fog lights for when we end up on a dark road in Wales, Scotland or France ;)
I have ordered an Ocean 6.1 but didn’t see the larger brakes option. Are they standard on Oceans (which have 17” wheels standard)?

Yes I saw that too - made me bit sad to think somebody had ordered themselves a lovely 2 tone Coast & now having to sell it :(
Or cashing in on 2nd hand market now maybe. Either way, people will pay it if they want one enough. That's more expensive than the quote we just had for a brand new Ocean

Or cashing in on 2nd hand market now maybe. Either way, people will pay it if they want one enough. That's more expensive than the quote we just had for a brand new Ocean
Agreed I thought it was expensive but these are the crazy Cali times we live in. Wish I had bought 10 last Christmas ;)

I have ordered an Ocean 6.1 but didn’t see the larger brakes option. Are they standard on Oceans (which have 17” wheels standard)?
I don't know, maybe: we ordered a coast and they come standard with 16 inch wheels in Belgium, if you take the larger brakes (with us the result of the decision that we want a 5-seater) then you have to add the larger front brakes (by the way, these are free together with the 235/55 R17 tires, homologation for 5 seats and maximum permissible mass 3080 kg).
greetings

COAST
Ascot grey
LED front / rear lights
Removable towbar
Privacy glass
Reversing Camara
Heated windscreen
Heated seats
Mud flaps

Hello
We are looking to buy a new Coast, I have a few questions if anyone could help..
Is the glass doubled glazed as in the ocean?
Is the dash the same, apart from the infotainment screens and digital display options.
I got a quote from a vw dealer ( in Liverpool)and the road fund was quoted at 260, is this correct for a Coast as it’s going to be around 55k
Thanks for help, I’ll list our options later and ask what your thoughts are, as trying to keep things under control...
Ta
I am buying a Coast as well from LVC. Good choice of colour. I too have chosen Ascot Grey. My options being Privacy glass,comfort matress,reversing camera and front opening bellows. I consider all other options a waste of time and money. I was thinking of getting the interior lights paxkage but not at over 700 quid. The only difference as regards double glazing is on the rear tailgate. This is single glazed with demister. Nothing a brandrup isolite won’t sort out.

COAST
Ascot grey
LED front / rear lights
Removable towbar
Privacy glass
Reversing Camara
Heated windscreen
Heated seats
Mud flaps

LED lights a good choice
I might swap the heated windscreen for the comfort mattress, and add the 80L fuel tank