Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing wheels and tyre pressure monitors

P

Parkinshaw

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all,

Hopefully someone will have the answer to this query.
I am thinking of changing my existing wheels (Davenports) and have some new alloys in mind, the question is... what is the set up with the tyre pressure monitors on the California? are they on the wheels, if so can I can I take them from the old wheels to the new?

If not on the wheels where are they?

Many thanks
Garry

They are sensors on the axles (I believe). They don't measure the actual tyre pressures, they just monitor for a significant change in rotation speed between one wheel and the others (that would imply a deflation).

Maybe someone else can confirm those specifics, but they're deffo not on the wheels.

The ones i have on some vehicles are fitted in the wheel
they look like this.

images-97.jpegyour tyre man will know, i don't have em on my cali.

Only recent legislation requires individual tyre pressure monitors to be fitted TPMS.
not sure of age of your Cali.

Up to that point VW used the ABS sensor to monitor wheel rotation speed and if there was a change, due to deflated tyre, a warning is given. Nothing in the wheel rim.

Thanks all for input so far.

Ive got a 2016 Ocean 204 DSG 4 Motion, on standard 17" Davenports.

So if there is definitely nothing on the wheel there should be no problem changing the wheels.
Many on here have changed wheels from standard factory ones so just wondered what they have done regarding the TPMS?

Thanks all for input so far.

Ive got a 2016 Ocean 204 DSG 4 Motion, on standard 17" Davenports.

So if there is definitely nothing on the wheel there should be no problem changing the wheels.
Many on here have changed wheels from standard factory ones so just wondered what they have done regarding the TPMS?
definitely nothing in your wheels.

I don't think any Cali's have pressure monitors within the wheels. Are they no all monitored via the ABS speed sensors on the hub?
Certainly my 66 plate T6 is and so is my 63 plate T5.

I don't think any Cali's have pressure monitors within the wheels. Are they no all monitored via the ABS speed sensors on the hub?
Certainly my 66 plate T6 is and so is my 63 plate T5.

Individual wheel TPMS is an option on the 6.1. It can be retrofitted to most 2017+ T6's as well. By standard, it is the ABS-based Tyre pressure monitors.

Hi all,

Hopefully someone will have the answer to this query.
I am thinking of changing my existing wheels (Davenports) and have some new alloys in mind, the question is... what is the set up with the tyre pressure monitors on the California? are they on the wheels, if so can I can I take them from the old wheels to the new?

If not on the wheels where are they?

Many thanks
Garry
Depends which vehicle you have.

A full TPMSystem, ie wheel rim mounted sensors will give an actual tyre pressure on the MFD as opposed to a simple warning with a basic ABS system.

Hi @Parkinshaw I have the same vehicle as you (2016 204 4M) and use the 17” Davenport wheels in winter and change to 17” Cascavels in summer.
When I change I just check the individual tyre pressures are correct with a pressure gauge and then reset the ABS-based tyre pressure monitor on the MFD

It would be interesting to know if the wheel sensor system includes and monitors the spare? I’m guessing not.

this is a good question - I have ordered the full TPMS system on my 6.1(still to be built), but want to also change the wheels to some Supermetals (most likely); question is do you have to code new TPMS sensors (planning to buy new ones from VW parts for the new wheels) to the van - or would it just pick up the signal from the new sensors in the new wheels..?

Back