Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Generation 6 wheels (Discus) - some questions?

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I am thinking of changing the alloy wheels on our T6.1 (our first California) two tone Bay Leaf Green for the 'Discus' Generation 6 wheels. Wondered if any members had them, look fantastic especially with a two tone colour scheme (only seen photos on the internet), just wondered with them being white a nightmare to keep clean, a couple of other questions as well?

Where best to buy them (Campervanastic)?

Would they come with wheel locks or best to buy something like Mcgard locking wheel bolts?

What tyres would be best fitted?

Have 17" Davenports at the moment (so would be selling these) the existing spare could this have a new tyre put on to be used as 'get you home' on the existing wheel (Discus are 18"), what would be required, we have 4Motion?

Thank you for any advise/answers to my questions.

Some answers and links to other useful threads here

Same bolts and lock nuts/bolts would be used from your Davenports.
Spare can be used as it is no need to change the tyre, emergency use. Punctured wheel would most probably need to be inside Cali as wouldn't fit the spare rack due to rim width.

With post Brexit importing from Germany may not be viable

Same bolts and lock nuts/bolts would be used from your Davenports.
Spare can be used as it is no need to change the tyre, emergency use. Punctured wheel would most probably need to be inside Cali as wouldn't fit the spare rack due to rim width.

With post Brexit importing from Germany may not be viable
Thanks wasn’t sure if different tyre required on the spare as Discus would be 18” wheels, Davenports 17” with 4Motion - system might require same size wheels.

Thanks wasn’t sure if different tyre required on the spare as Discus would be 18” wheels, Davenports 17” with 4Motion - system might require same size wheels.
17” or 18” wheels with correct tyres fitted would have same overall diameter, but if not same size wheel and tyre as fitted to 4 Motion should only be used as a ” get you home/garage “ replacement, limited speed/distance.

An option is to fit 235/55/18 104V tyres instead of normal 255/45/18 103V tyres.

The 235 tyre on a 7.5" x 18" rim fits the spare rack. I've not tried one but I think that a 235 tyre on the 8" x 18" rim would also fit giving a matching spare.
spare rim just needs to be same offset and rim width not an expensive Disc type.

Extra 20mm width of a 255 tyre being the problem in the spare rack. Reduced ground clearance.

I put Michelin Cross Climates on my moondisc alloys. Very happy, comfortable quiet ride, good in wet and dry, awesome on snow, not sure how they wear as early days...am looking at REVO front brake upgrade so might need spacers but the guy in Bognor said best bring it in to check

266d6b96-d77e-4fed-802b-ca536f99c76d (2).jpg

I put Michelin Cross Climates on my moondisc alloys. Very happy, comfortable quiet ride, good in wet and dry, awesome on snow, not sure how they wear as early days...am looking at REVO front brake upgrade so might need spacers but the guy in Bognor said best bring it in to check

View attachment 73576
I wouldn't expect a problem as look similar to 204/199 bigger calipers on casual look at a van near me. Won't show on those disc wheels.

I wouldn't expect a problem as look similar to 204/199 bigger calipers on casual look at a van near me. Won't show on those disc wheels.
Thanks for this, the chap in Bognor said there were two choices 380mm and 355mm, TBH the smaller will do I'm sure, might put spacers on anyway...it might not feel more planted on the road but it'll look it especially as I 100% do not want to mess or lower the suspension.

Thanks for this, the chap in Bognor said there were two choices 380mm and 355mm, TBH the smaller will do I'm sure, might put spacers on anyway...it might not feel more planted on the road but it'll look it especially as I 100% do not want to mess or lower the suspension.
Personally I wouldn't use spacers unless as a means to correct for incorrect wheel offset. ie wheel or tyre inner clearance problem.
They can alter caster angle, change steering characteristics and put extra loading on the wheel bearings.

I have also looked into buying a set of these but have so far resisted due to my not being able to justify the cost. At around £2600 with tyres fitted they are not cheap and my van already sports a perfectly good set of well shod Devenports.

I think all of your questions have been answered above except perhaps the cleaning aspect. As these wheels are white I think they may well look filthy after every short drive. I recall at least one other member, who has/had them, saying as much in a previous thread. Brake dust etc will quickly settle on them encouraging you get your bucket and sponge out after every use. At least they appear to be a simple design that should be easy to clean once the chrome disc hub caps are removed. I agree. they do look fabulous though.

The other slight issue I have are those huge chrome hub discs. In the past various parts of cars have been swiped by young scrotes wanting something to hang on their bedroom walls. Those flashy chrome hub caps could go the same way.

I can answer the question on cleaning, during winter they last about a fortnight like me you'll be tempted to get the bucket out for a quick clean during summer can last a lot longer I leave mine for a month which by then the van would get a clean anyway.

As for the chrome hub caps we have had two sets of these wheels the first one was on our Generations Six and then we fitted new ones on our ocean had no problems with theft as they are a bit hefty to get off but as with everything there's always that chance.

Thank you for everyone’s comments/input, very helpful

I have also looked into buying a set of these but have so far resisted due to my not being able to justify the cost. At around £2600 with tyres fitted they are not cheap and my van already sports a perfectly good set of well shod Devenports.

I think all of your questions have been answered above except perhaps the cleaning aspect. As these wheels are white I think they may well look filthy after every short drive. I recall at least one other member, who has/had them, saying as much in a previous thread. Brake dust etc will quickly settle on them encouraging you get your bucket and sponge out after every use. At least they appear to be a simple design that should be easy to clean once the chrome disc hub caps are removed. I agree. they do look fabulous though.

The other slight issue I have are those huge chrome hub discs. In the past various parts of cars have been swiped by young scrotes wanting something to hang on their bedroom walls. Those flashy chrome hub caps could go the same way.
There are also silver versions available, as well as white. Might not suit Gelato’s 2-tone as well though
https://www.newwavecustomconversions.co.uk/product/vw-caravelle-bulli-edition-18-alloy-wheels/

Does anyone know if the hub caps are metal or just chromed plastic?

The one thing we do with the wheels now is we use our original wheels in winter and put the white ones on for the summer gives you something to look forward and totally transforms the van.

View attachment 73576
Nice wheels! Are the tyres 235/55’s?

They are 225/45 R18s I believe.
Oh really! Thanks. That's another variant then. I am looking to get new 18" tyres, currently they are 255/45 but I have seen recommended 235/55 which seems to have more choice, but now you've thrown 225/45 into the mix!

I think 225 are too narrow for those rims. They are 8j which would be 235 / 50 or 255 / 45

If they were 225 it wouldn’t be 45 profile as that would be too small a rolling radius.

In all the accessories brochures Vw recommend 235/50 or 255/45

Yes that's what I thought @andyinluton. Issue with the 235/50 is they tend to be a 101 load which I personally think is a bit low for a full fat Cali.

Back