Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Generation 6 wheels (Discus) - some questions?

Yes that's what I thought @andyinluton. Issue with the 235/50 is they tend to be a 101 load which I personally think is a bit low for a full fat Cali.
I agree while 101 looks to be in range just, the door sticker on mine doesn't show anything with less than 103

I agree while 101 looks to be in range just, the door sticker on mine doesn't show anything with less than 103
Have to admit lost now with ‘101 or 103’ - 235/50 or 255/45 Think I have some research/learning to do about tyres, we tow an Eriba and fitted bike rack on the rear (yet to try both - new Cali/lockdown). So I’m sure that will have to be taken into consideration in the tyre choice if we buy the ‘Discus’ alloys (subject to my wife final approval). Realise the wheels will have to be cleaned regularly but I know they will really compliment the two tone paint.

Heart and head job, head says not practical and expensive - heart says they will look great!

Look on your drivers door pillar, that gives suggested tyre sizes & load ratings.
Personally, I wouldn't go below 103 for the load.

Don't forget 255 would give you 10mm more rubber sticking out each side of the rim, thats 10mm more protection from kerbs.

Look on your drivers door pillar, that gives suggested tyre sizes & load ratings.
Personally, I wouldn't go below 103 for the load.

Don't forget 255 would give you 10mm more rubber sticking out each side of the rim, thats 10mm more protection from kerbs.
Thanks like the idea of extra protection from kerbs with 255. Going to look on the door pillar and do some research I think on tyres - not something my wife will want to discuss with me

Thanks like the idea of extra protection from kerbs with 255. Going to look on the door pillar and do some research I think on tyres - not something my wife will want to discuss with me
Ha! I'll happily discuss tyres with you, going through this right now.
Regarding the Discus alloys, go for it!

235/50/18 101 seemed to be a UK VW Dealer option to keep the tyre cost down and aimed at van owners mainly on non production rims.. These are too low a rating for the T32 variant.
OK for T26 & T28 but marginal on T30 which the Cali is based on.

From past searches only 255/45/18 and 235/55/18 had sufficient load ratings, 103 & 104.
235/55/18 104 is available in many versions at less cost than the wider and lower profile 255/45/18 103. Going down to 101 may have Insurance implications.
Also in SUV design which I've found more suited to the Cali. Slightly higher profile puts the speedo reading pretty accurate, if 70 indicated then 70 road speed being done.

235 may, depending on tyre design, give slightly less rim protection than a 255 on an 8" rim.

If you look at tyre size comparisons, starting with the 255/45 18 the 235/55/18 is not a recommended option from what I've seen? It is a more than 3% increase in dia, if I understand correctly.

To save everyone dashing outside in the rain, this is what's on my door pillar:
IMG_2512.jpg

I think 225 are too narrow for those rims. They are 8j which would be 235 / 50 or 255 / 45

If they were 225 it wouldn’t be 45 profile as that would be too small a rolling radius.

In all the accessories brochures Vw recommend 235/50 or 255/45
I was merely quoting the tyre size quoted for the VW 18" "Discus" wheel on Campervantastic's web site. The following company https://www.original-räder.de/en , recommend 255/45 R18s. Presumably, whatever tyres are required they would need to be XL rated? 20210218_101619.jpg

I am thinking of changing the alloy wheels on our T6.1 (our first California) two tone Bay Leaf Green for the 'Discus' Generation 6 wheels. Wondered if any members had them, look fantastic especially with a two tone colour scheme (only seen photos on the internet), just wondered with them being white a nightmare to keep clean, a couple of other questions as well?

Where best to buy them (Campervanastic)?

Would they come with wheel locks or best to buy something like Mcgard locking wheel bolts?

What tyres would be best fitted?

Have 17" Davenports at the moment (so would be selling these) the existing spare could this have a new tyre put on to be used as 'get you home' on the existing wheel (Discus are 18"), what would be required, we have 4Motion?

Thank you for any advise/answers to my questions.
Check with vw about spare, my experience with Audi Quattro was that wheels and tyres have to identical?

Ha! I'll happily discuss tyres with you, going through this right now.
Regarding the Discus alloys, go for it!
My wife has said yes to the alloy wheels, so that is exciting, hope to have them for our summer holiday tour, gives me a few months to save and in the meantime try and work what tyres (confusing) and best place to buy the wheels from!!

That’s great news @Gelato glad your purchase order request has been approved by the finance director!
I would start with VW and get a price for the wheels, that’s likely to be the most you’d have to pay. Then look from there. Even second hand these are expensive so it may make more sense to just bite the bulllet and buy new, for peace of mind and warranty too.
The tyres advertised with these wheels on Campervantastic are the wrong size for sure.

Having looked into tyres for my 18” wheels I have come to the conclusion that the only sensible tyre size choice (in my opinion) is the 255/45 18 103.

Good luck, look forward to seeing the new wheels

That’s great news @Gelato glad your purchase order request has been approved by the finance director!
I would start with VW and get a price for the wheels, that’s likely to be the most you’d have to pay. Then look from there. Even second hand these are expensive so it may make more sense to just bite the bulllet and buy new, for peace of mind and warranty too.
The tyres advertised with these wheels on Campervantastic are the wrong size for sure.

Having looked into tyres for my 18” wheels I have come to the conclusion that the only sensible tyre size choice (in my opinion) is the 255/45 18 103.

I see my factory Springfields will be fitted with 255/45 R18 103H XL (factory code J22).
Is the H the speed rating?
What is the XL?
The description box on the order isn’t long enough to show the rest which ends “supe”...
I guess that might be super low rolling resistance? What does that mean in practice? Higher fuel economy? Lower noise? Which begs the question why aren’t all tyres?

@66tim99 H is the speed rating - max 130mph and the low rolling resistance is supposed to improve fuel economy due to a lower rolling resistance. XL is extra load. Typical for an suv or similar that is heavy, designed to take higher pressures as well.

Thanks for info on tyres and your suggestion (255/45 18 103) do you have the 18” discus alloys? Not sure when I will be getting them, hopefully in time for summer - or at least before the finance director changes their mind!!!

Thanks for info on tyres and your suggestion (255/45 18 103) do you have the 18” discus alloys? Not sure when I will be getting them, hopefully in time for summer - or at least before the finance director changes their mind!!!
No I have Toluca's on my Cali, love the discus wheels though, I'll keep an eye out for any that pop up for sale.

No I have Toluca's on my Cali, love the discus wheels though, I'll keep an eye out for any that pop up for sale.
Thanks for your help/advice on tyres, just posted a question about tyres about which choice - Mitchelin Cross Climate have been mentioned a lot on this forum, but like everything now so much choice and Cross Climate SUV or Agilis or 255/235 etc.

Sticker on driver inside door says 2545 R18 xI 103H

The only part of that I understand is the R18 - that is the wheel size - hopefully!!

We own a T6.1 199 4 Motion which will tow an Eriba and have a bike rack on California with max 3x bikes!

Thanks for your help/advice on tyres, just posted a question about tyres about which choice - Mitchelin Cross Climate have been mentioned a lot on this forum, but like everything now so much choice and Cross Climate SUV or Agilis or 255/235 etc.

The only part of that I understand is the R18 - that is the wheel size - hopefully!!

We own a T6.1 199 4 Motion which will tow an Eriba and have a bike rack on California with max 3x bikes!
Yes the R18 refers to the wheel diameter.
255/45 18 are what is recommended as they maintain the rolling diameter perfectly.
The problem with this tyre size is less choice, particularly for all season tyres.
I've just had a set of continental premium contact 6 fitted. 255/45 R18 103

The tyres on my discs were heavy load van cross climates, so all seemed good and safe. Now on new Coast!
Thanks this is helpful

The tyres on my discs were heavy load van cross climates, so all seemed good and safe. Now on new Coast!

View attachment 74001

View attachment 74002

View attachment 74003

View attachment 74004

View attachment 74005
See you have the retro alloys and think Cross Climate, did you look at other options, someone posted a photo of their Agilis Cross Climate and looks like heavy tread, just wonders if Ok with your alloys?

@Gelato my CC tyres perfect on my alloys, off road tread 100% not for me I have a Land Rover for that, PM me if you want to buy mine, might even leave the tyres on...

Have sent you private message @Gelato
Have sent you a message - hopefully?

Yes the R18 refers to the wheel diameter.
255/45 18 are what is recommended as they maintain the rolling diameter perfectly.
The problem with this tyre size is less choice, particularly for all season tyres.
I've just had a set of continental premium contact 6 fitted. 255/45 R18 103
minor hair splitting

a 255/45/18 has a reduction of 0.52% of circumference compared to a 235/55/17 tyre.

road speed loss 0.31mph + 60mph. would also give a corresponding loss of mpg on actual road miles covered.

Back