Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aftermarket Alloy Wheels and TPMS (T6.1)

HectaTheSpecta

HectaTheSpecta

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi all,

I'm in the process of purchasing new wheels.

Am I right in saying that if the new wheels do not have tyre pressure monitors in them, this'll be notified on the dashboard? This is for a T6.1 Ocean Dec 2020 Model.

To avoid this, I would rather purchase new Genuine OEM Tyre Pressure Monitors and install these on the after market wheels prior to adding new tyres. Or I can remove them from my existing wheels and transfer them to the newly purchased ones.

In any case, does anyone know of the Genuine OEM Part Number please?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Am I right in saying that if the new wheels do not have tyre pressure monitors in them, this'll be notified on the dashboard? This is for a T6.1 Ocean Dec 2020 Model.

To avoid this, I would rather purchase new Genuine OEM Tyre Pressure Monitors and install these on the after market wheels prior to adding new tyres. Or I can remove them from my existing wheels and transfer them to the newly purchased ones.

Thanks in advance.
What form of TPMS have you got?
Does your system actually show the individual tyre pressures?

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Two types of TMPS - passive and active.
- Passive relies on the ABS ring and rotational speed to determine if tyre pressure is low. Any wheel will work with passive TPMS.
- Active relies on sensors within each tyre and a central controller mounted in between the two rear tyres to relay data to the central computer and then displays individual tyres pressures on the display. The ones on the T6 are 3AA907275F and are available on eBay - here They do not have to be 'coded' as they rely on the frequency and the controller picks them up based on strength of signal and rotational direction.

What form of TPMS have you got?
Does your system actually show the individual tyre pressures?
Hello, yes my display shows individual tyre pressures on the dash

Two types of TMPS - passive and active.
- Passive relies on the ABS ring and rotational speed to determine if tyre pressure is low. Any wheel will work with passive TPMS.
- Active relies on sensors within each tyre and a central controller mounted in between the two rear tyres to relay data to the central computer and then displays individual tyres pressures on the display. The ones on the T6 are 3AA907275F and are available on eBay - here They do not have to be 'coded' as they rely on the frequency and the controller picks them up based on strength of signal and rotational direction.
Seems as though mine are active then as the tyre pressures are individually displayed on the screen. The valve stems look the same although not sure if they are different in general for the 6.1

Seems as though mine are active then as the tyre pressures are individually displayed on the screen. The valve stems look the same although not sure if they are different in general for the 6.1

Very unlikely they are different. I would be OK to take a risk on those. Not very frequently that VW change things that work well.

Very unlikely they are different. I would be OK to take a risk on those. Not very frequently that VW change things that work well.
Thanks for the link. I may take the existing ones out and see what they are. i'll report back and when I know, I'll order some more just in case.

I seem to remember that you will need some coding doing as the dashboard only gives you the options of factory sized tyres and pressures.
If you fit bigger wheels with lower tyre pressures you will have permanent tyre pressure warnings.

Are they genuine OEM replacements?
No idea. They do say OE specification.
I seem to remember that you will need some coding doing as the dashboard only gives you the options of factory sized tyres and pressures.
If you fit bigger wheels with lower tyre pressures you will have permanent tyre pressure warnings.
They come ready coded for different pressure ranges for differing tyre/wheel size combinations.

You are right - the coding is on the central controller Part number 3AA907273F to tell it the tyre and the pressure sizes.

There is no coding on the TPMS valves themselves.

I retrofitted active TPMS to my T6 and the supplier of the central controller loaded/coded the values for me into the controller.

Hi all.

Does anyone know please whether the spare wheel has a tpms sensor in it?

You are right - the coding is on the central controller Part number 3AA907273F to tell it the tyre and the pressure sizes.

There is no coding on the TPMS valves themselves.

I retrofitted active TPMS to my T6 and the supplier of the central controller loaded/coded the values for me into the controller.

Any more info on the retrofit of the TPMS?

Any more info on the retrofit of the TPMS?

@reserves , fitted mine and working brilliantly. It is a fairly simple system and if you have the right components, plays very well with everything else fitted to the van.

Two threads over on the t6 Form that will give you more information

Any queries, do ask.

Back