Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Californian Arctic

Great, thanks Matt. That picture helps a lot.
I'll have look round when we come later in the year. Should be possible to make some brackets up if I can't find any.

Great, thanks Matt. That picture helps a lot.
I'll have look round when we come later in the year. Should be possible to make some brackets up if I can't find any.
I would have thought they would not be of that much use during Summer months with the sun not setting for very long and not at all above the Arctic Circle. Some of the T5's I saw on my travels had 4 fitted with high wattage bulbs.

I would have thought they would not be of that much use during Summer months with the sun not setting for very long and not at all above the Arctic Circle. Some of the T5's I saw on my travels had 4 fitted with high wattage bulbs.

Yes but apparently they scare mooses

Ten years in Norway and the only moose we saw was when walking the dogs in the forest. So extra lights on the car wouldn't have done us much good... But this was in west not northern Norway.
Don't they tend to be out dawn and dusk - in which case, as Welsh Gas is probably alluding to, in mid summer up north you may not need the lights?

I know I won't need them in summer.
The point is that brackets don't appear to be available here in the UK whereas they are a common fitment in Norway so hopefully I can get some there to fit later in the year back here in the UK.
Nice to know that we aren't going to be attacked by prolific moose though :)

Yes but apparently they scare mooses
They probably do, at night. But it's not night for very long during the summer, and above the arctic circle it doesn't set at all for 4 months of the year., and how much night driving are you planning.
Then I was there I saw 1 Elk/Moose in the distance amble across the road. Reindeer are more common day and night, so a Deer Whistle might be of more use to fit.:thumb

My partners parents almost hit one two nights ago coming back a couple a km's from their friends. We've got quite a few little pockets dotted about in the valley at the moment. This one just ran over the frozen river and they only just missed it. The authorities have invested lots of money in some new street lighting that faces away from the road to try and scare them off. Its a big problem up here. The height of them too means you get it right in your windscreen. Good meat though. Better than beef in my opinion :)

They just get covered up in the summer to stop the grit smashing them. In the depths of winter we only get sunlight (not direct) so its dark for the best part of 3-4 months. Its only now were getting back to normal. The lights are very handy indeed. I'm getting a set of Laser LED's for my volvo soon as they are pretty crap headlight at the best of times.

Our dream to go to Norway on winter ) so far 2 summer trips that were amazing. Are you fishing in winter as well?

Our dream to go to Norway on winter ) so far 2 summer trips that were amazing. Are you fishing in winter as well?
Aye we've got the start of the snowmobile track right outside the house that heads up to the only licensed ice fishing lake in our valley. Nobody ever fishes though. They only go to use the snowmobiles legally. There's too many rules in Norway to stop you using them and you can only get around it using these fishing routes

What about sea/fjord fishing? ;)
At the moment where we are, Fjord fishing is ice fishing ;). Give it a few months and it'll be back to normal. Take a look a Saltstraumen on google. A friend of the family goes fishing there and the fish is immense (and I normal dont like fish)
Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

Is that is big bridge or a midget fishermen ....?
Nice pic!

Is that is big bridge or a midget fishermen ....?
Nice pic!
Haha Its quite a tall bridge but not that long. If you click on the photo its a cool little hyperlapse I took on my phone in the dying days of summer. The fastest tidal current in the world apparently.

If you click on the photo its a cool little hyperlapse I took on my phone in the dying days of summer. The fastest tidal current in the world apparently.
Unfortunately. Flickr requires you to login to see it, and then tells you "This video is private"! :headbang

What about sea/fjord fishing? ;)
Hi Sp0_0k
Have you done any sea fishing in Norway? I'm looking for locations and places to stay. Need a bit of advice.

Haha Its quite a tall bridge but not that long. If you click on the photo its a cool little hyperlapse I took on my phone in the dying days of summer. The fastest tidal current in the world apparently.

Went on a RIB into those whirlpools a while ago Matt. Quite an experience, pretty scary at first but they obviously know what they are doing. I guess the fish need to be big to be able to survive in it. :)

The best advice will be "you can catch anything almost everywhere". :)
The huge advantage you don't need a license for sea fishing, but of course have to follow the local rules.
So one day in Geirangerfjord there were guys fishing for 4 hours with motor boats and got nothing. I caught these two from 2 first deep casts from my canoe 5 mins from camp.
20150805_190351.jpg

Then tourists are saying there is no fishing in South Norway. But one day I've got these right from the shore of the camp in Kristiansand. It was insanely huge school of mackerel that got stuck in that Isefjærfjorden due to the tide change.
We actually got twice shown on this image and had to start releasing catch. My wife was angry she'll have to clean all that fish :) It was like each cast near the shore getting you a bite.
11796245_1022215277802542_3729801286873361950_n.jpg

Again Sognefjord isn't considered good for fishing. It has over a kilometer depth in some places.
But still managed to get this over a meter long beast there :) but took 4 hours of fishing.
20150814_145732.jpg

I've read that best fishing is in Western and Northern Norway. We still plan to go to Lofoten, which is considered one of the best places to visit and fish.
But again you might get no fish in most advertised spots and get a ton in those considered bad :)
So again you can seafish in Norway almost anywhere. Just get the basics when the fish is more active during tide changes. Lots of fish might be even near the ports or bridges.
P.S. I love eating fish way more than meat so these trips are a great fun. :)

Fished in Mandal, Randaberg (Stavanger),Bergen and Palm Island (St Vincent and Grenadines).
When the mackerel are in season in Norway you can replicate your pic with every drop of a hand line. We used to get mackerel on top of mackerel (i.e. two on same hook...). The only limit to the fishing is the storage space for the Mackerel. Can be frustrating though if what you're really after is some cod from much deeper...
Did a long line overnight in Bergen fjords once and had masses of lyng (correct spelling in English?).IMG_0144.JPG
We took our rods to the Caribbean every year and apart from the odd day trip fishing would while away an hour or two after dinner on the jetty.
Never thought I would enjoy fishing but my ex was really keen so I gave it a go and loved it. Never say 'never'.

Same, never was into fishing. And accidently tried it on 1st trip to Norway :)

Aye Norway is fish crazy. I'm still not hooked though ;) I do like the Hallibut (kveite) and the Norwegian redfish (Uer) which is a scary looking thing when its caught with is massive pop-out eyes!:shocked

On that famous Atlantic highway there were a lot of people hanging off one of the bridges there bringng quite a few fish in. Quite a lovely place to fish.

IMGP9776 by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

IMGP9778 by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

I might get into it one day. You never know. This was the dude we saw at Saltstraumen in the hyperlapse. I've seen the high speed ribs go up there and its amazing how fast they can go against the current. Might have a go one day perhaps
:bananadance

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back