Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Booked in

Trojax

Trojax

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
So the Cali is booked din for Monday 22nd May and VW have just called me apparently there is a recall update to the engine management system, does anyone know what its is ?????

So the Cali is booked din for Monday 22nd May and VW have just called me apparently there is a recall update to the engine management system, does anyone know what its is ?????
Booked in for what?
What year and model do you have ?

Hi the stop start is not working and its a 2021 Ocean
Interesting! Maybe the ECU has flagged it as not being available due to battery or alternator issue. ?
You’ll have to let us know what the outcome was. And also what the details of the engine update.
150 or 204 PS ?

So I have been contacted by the Birmingham Van centre and what I thought was a Stop/Start fault has turned in to an expensive visit. Apparently the issue is a none VW battery has been fitted along with the Battery monitoring cable not being connected to the battery and Alternator plug for LIN wire broken. its amazing how fast you can spend 600 pounds as none of the above is warranty work.

Who on earth would change a battery on a 21 6.1…

Who on earth would change a battery on a 21 6.1…
The garage that sold it... was also wondering about the broken wire at the alternator plug !! ...I was going to order a kitchen shelf but not for a bit..

The garage that sold it... was also wondering about the broken wire at the alternator plug !! ...I was going to order a kitchen shelf but not for a bit..
Something feels off. I’d ask for a full service and repair history. Was the selling dealer a VW one? For a two year old van there should be some recompense somewhere.

Something feels off. I’d ask for a full service and repair history. Was the selling dealer a VW one? For a two year old van there should be some recompense somewhere.
So I know the service history of the van"checked it before I brought it" and very happy with it, it would appear that the Garage that sold it to me needed to replace the battery as the van had not been used much 3500 miles not sure about the wires one broken and one not connected. On my drive home with it i did see the stop start error on the vehicle status but just thought as the van has vw warranty left I would just get it booked in. The problem was a 2 month wait to get it in to VW van centre

So I assume selling dealer was not VW. Makes little sense TBH. Lack of use of a battery for a vehicle of that age does not usually mean a new one needed.

John Keeble cars in ipswich, he was selling for a family friend, who should have purchased a beach hut but went in to VW instead LOL...its the trouble with car dealers who have no idea about a very complicated digital vehicle

John Keeble cars in ipswich, he was selling for a family friend, who should have purchased a beach hut but went in to VW instead LOL...its the trouble with car dealers who have no idea about a very complicated digital vehicle
Or buying vans that new from a non VW dealer. Bnggers up your warranty if they mess with it. I’d take the selling for a family friend story with a pinch of salt.

So all it needed was a replacement battery and a wire connected. Trust VW to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Perhaps would have been better off booking replacement battery through AA / RAC with fitting. They would have run a test on the battery, fitted new battery, coded (if required) & reconnected / fixed the wire. If you make them a cup of tea they will usually run a full diagnostic to check for other faults. Can usually get same day fitting at home.

Last edited:
So all it needed was a replacement battery and a wire connected. Trust VW to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Perhaps would have been better off booking replacement battery through AA / RAC with fitting. They would have run a test on the battery, fitted new battery, coded (if required) & reconnected / fixed the wire. If you make them a cup of tea they will usually run a full diagnostic to check for other faults. Can usually get same day fitting at home.
This is good to know thank you, as i did not know the AA could do the coding.

Just checked the AA and the battery is around the 230 to 260 mark, so will let VW do their magic, just a bit pissed as was going to order my kitchen shelf that will have to wait now LOL

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 10.46.21.png

All but £144.36 appears, on the face of it, to be the battery replacement (two middle items just relate to incorrect battery fitting as opposed to separate work or parts required). That’s one expensive battery!!

I would definitely be talking that bill to the garage who sold you the van for consideration.

Or if you haven’t had the work done, give the garage chance to rectify themselves. Looking at their website, they do seem like an established family garage with an “onsite workshop” and “qualified mechanics”.

Why change the new battery, as long as it’s the right spec? Just because it’s not oem doesn’t mean it’s not fit for purpose. Connect it up properly and replace the broken cable and you should be good to go.

So I called in to the Birmingham Van cent yesterday, for some clarity on what’s what and the very kind service manager agreed to hear me and gave me a bit of discount on the pricing..happy days

Worth looking into extended Warranty.
I got a combined 2 years service/warranty deal which I'm not sure if still on offer but worth checking with VW

Worth looking into extended Warranty.
I got a combined 2 years service/warranty deal which I'm not sure if still on offer but worth checking with VW

Thanks I was planning on extending but you can only purchase just before the VW warranty ends..

Thanks I was planning on extending but you can only purchase just before the VW warranty ends..
Took mine out + 5 years 10 months but may have been a 'special' offer last December.

When I took our van in for a service I declined to go ahead with the recall as they couldn’t guarantee it wouldn’t mess up the remapping I had done 3 years ago. Also as the van is running beautifully why would they want to mess with the ECU on a 8 year old van.

When I took our van in for a service I declined to go ahead with the recall as they couldn’t guarantee it wouldn’t mess up the remapping I had done 3 years ago. Also as the van is running beautifully why would they want to mess with the ECU on a 8 year old van.
When I get the van back tomorrow I will let you know how the update is and what the effect if any. But if its the same update and they are also doing older vehicles it has to be something they have in the software and want to remove

Back