Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying new ocean - 17" wheel tyre options?

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi Everyone

Can anyone help explain what the current tyre options are for a new Ocean?

Am I right in thinking you can choose between Summer, All Weather and Winter?

If so, are the all weather ones legal to take to germany / europe in winter?

Having never had anything other than summer tyres on a car before, is there a big difference in noise levels and MPG between summer and all weather?

Is it feasible for me to use all weather all year round?

Thanks

If I was buying with options to choose tyres (our vans were already built when ordered) I would go myself for all weather tyres, When my summer tyre wear out I will replace with all weather. On our t5 the 1st few years of ownership I rotated between summer and winter wheels but then went for all weather which worked well for my needs.
MPG I have not worried about tyre effect on this and do not travel outside UK in our Cali.

Last edited:
The all season tyres have become so good, that it is a legal option to consider. If you chose Winter tyres, you will need summer tyres for the summer and visa versa.

In my opinion, it depends on where you drive. All Seasons are more convenient, but summer/winter are safer in Nordic conditions. And that is my personal selection.

Winters are often noisier and consume a little more fuel. But as a return, you get a proper handling. Safer driving when cold and snow. Summers are often quieter and with best mpg. All seasons are a compromise between the two.

All tyres have an A-E quality marking: mpg, Grip/Handling, and Noise. You can look up the specific tyres you have in mind and see their ratings.

All weather or 4 season tyres only pass the winter test if they have a snow flake symbol on them (usually as well as the m&s marking for mud and snow). On these they have both a different tread pattern including 'sipes' and are made of a different rubber compound which is optimised to work below about 7 deg. From what I can see the 4 seasons m and s tyres have a much chunkier tread and so will be better for things like grass and mud but won't be counted as snow tyres in the countries which insist on them. The only true 4 seasons ones I'm aware of are the Michelin cross climates but their tread isn't as chunky as for instance the vector cargos and I've seen people mention that they're not available for the Cali? Although at might be out of date by now....

We've had a separate set of winter wheels on our car for years now and I was looking forward to moving to the cross climates to avoid having 2 sets ... that was before getting carried away with the California obsession and getting rid of the car! I've specced ours with the 4 seasons ones anyway because of the tread and the fact that I can see it being really useful for camping and, even though they might not be quite as good as true snow tyres, they must be pretty good to justify the m&s marking.

We got the all season as an option on our T6 Ocean, Goodyear Cargo Vectors with a snowflake on them were supplied, I believe they are legal as winter tyres in Europe, but I am no expert !

We got the all season as an option on our T6 Ocean, Goodyear Cargo Vectors with a snowflake on them were supplied, I believe they are legal as winter tyres in Europe, but I am no expert !
That's really good too hear since that's what we ordered I think (although vw won't commit to which brand they're going to supply apparently)

That's really good too hear since that's what we ordered I think (although vw won't commit to which brand they're going to supply apparently)

I have just taken delivery of a new Ocean 150 DSG 4 motion in Spain. I specified the option fitment of 'all season' tyres:
Came fitted with 5 x Goodyear Vector 4 season M + S with snowflake certification 235/55 R17 103H.

Hi Everyone

Can anyone help explain what the current tyre options are for a new Ocean?

Am I right in thinking you can choose between Summer, All Weather and Winter?

If so, are the all weather ones legal to take to germany / europe in winter?

Having never had anything other than summer tyres on a car before, is there a big difference in noise levels and MPG between summer and all weather?

Is it feasible for me to use all weather all year round?

Thanks
I do. Don’t notice any significant noise difference. Fuel consumption, maybe 1 mpg difference, but winter tyres can be more as they wear more if used outside winter conditions. Hard wearing , after 20,000 miles tread depth has gone from 8 to 5 mm. Much better in the wet than summer tyres and we hardly have dry “ summers” in the UK!

No noise issues with the factory fitted all weather tyres. Wear is also very good. They give a bit more confidence on wet and slippy fields too.
Recommended.

I would recommend them too
We took the options for all weather, I also got a choice to pick the size on the option with the dealer,215 60's or 235 55's I went 235's these come at an extra cost it also it forces hankook as the brand,
I looked at reviews for these and they all seem good.
I would go for the bigger footprint all day long better wheel protection, better grip on soggy campsites and a beefier look but all with the same rolling radius.it was the choice I wanted... hope this helps

Back