Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wider all season 235/55/17 tyre option on 150PS Ocean

thehorse

thehorse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
One drawback of the 150PS over the 204PS is it comes with narrower tyres (215/60/17). As its a heavy beast would prefer to have more rubber in contact with the road.

I just noticed on the configurator for £126 I can select "All Weather Tyre 235/55/17 103H XL" which deletes the narrower 215/60/17 tyres (I presume summer tyres) that come as standard on the 150PS Ocean.

Does anyone know what brand/type the standard 215 width tyres are and what I'd get if I ticked the box for the 235 width all season tyres.

Not sure why they don't have the option to get the 235 width summer tyres as fitted to the 204PS.

Didn't know 204ps comes with wider tyres.
You know you won't be able to fit the chains on 215/60 right? Manual clearly says that.

One drawback of the 150PS over the 204PS is it comes with narrower tyres (215/60/17). As its a heavy beast would prefer to have more rubber in contact with the road.

I just noticed on the configurator for £126 I can select "All Weather Tyre 235/55/17 103H XL" which deletes the narrower 215/60/17 tyres (I presume summer tyres) that come as standard on the 150PS Ocean.

Does anyone know what brand/type the standard 215 width tyres are and what I'd get if I ticked the box for the 235 width all season tyres.

Not sure why they don't have the option to get the 235 width summer tyres as fitted to the 204PS.
Tyre Brands seem to vary depending on supply and what deals VW make. Only the size seems fixed. That's why no makes are mentioned.

My understanding is that the 150 and 204 Ocean have the same 17 inch wheel, tyre and brake sizes as standard. I asked about all season tyres or winter tyres but was told by the dealer that they are not an option on the Ocean. This is at odds with the Beach where the configurator and price list do show tyre options.

My understanding is that the 150 and 204 Ocean have the same 17 inch wheel, tyre and brake sizes as standard. I asked about all season tyres or winter tyres but was told by the dealer that they are not an option on the Ocean. This is at odds with the Beach where the configurator and price list do show tyre options.

It is shown as an option for the Ocean in the configurator!

It is shown as an option for the Ocean in the configurator!

Yes it is, but when my dealer tried to amend my order to include them a few weeks ago he found they were not on the configurator used by dealers to process orders. Very confusing.

My understanding is that the 150 and 204 Ocean have the same 17 inch wheel, tyre and brake sizes as standard.

The wheels are the same, brakes probably the same, but tyres definitely different on the 150PS - 215 width vs 235 width, so 20mm narrower - I guess its not a big deal, just a little less grip I'd imagine.

Yes it is, but when my dealer tried to amend my order to include them a few weeks ago he found they were not on the configurator used by dealers to process orders. Very confusing.
Confusing indeed!

Tyre width is the sidewall/shoulder width not the tread width. It is possible to change from a 215 to a 235 and get less rubber on the road. You need to visually check the tread width of the tyre you intend to purchase.
It varies from brand to Brand and even between same Brand but different tread pattern.
Confusion reigns.
I have Bridgestone tyres on my sports car and the spare which is an older tread design is visually wider. Probably Manufacturers reducing rubber content to cut costs. Like shrinking Mars bars

You know you won't be able to fit the chains on 215/60 right? Manual clearly says that.

Strange. There is only 0.5mm ditterence in diameter and the 216 is narrower as pointed out so can't see the problem. It's usually clearance to suspension etc but as the diameter is virtually the same it seems odd.

Usefull tyre size calculator here.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=215-60r17-235-55r17

I've just ordered some Nokian winter tyres, 215/60/17. I've also seen the Husky snow chains, same size, advertised here in the Calishop. Do you know the reason why chains can't be used? Should I be cancelling my order and fit a larger size?

My bad. Actually 215/60 are narrow ones.

Annoyingly there are two configurators. One for us, the customer, and one for the dealers. they are not maintained together so are never the same. Pity VW don't consider keeping the customer one up to date to be part of their customer service. There is definitely a time lag (sometimes days) before ours catches up with theirs :(

I am thinking of opting for the all weather 235 tyres. Anyone got any further advice on whether this is a good idea so far as road noise and ride quality are concerned.

Snow socks could be used instead of chains as no clearance issue. Plus easier to stow & no weight.
Never tried them so no idea how efficient they are.

Also heard the all season tyres used to be standard fit on some vans (multivan I think?), but vw made them an option due to EU6 regs.

Mention of EU6 makes sense as tyres effect drag & hence the emission figures for tax purposes given by VW.
It seems logical that VW would use the lowest possible drag tyres for factory emmission spec. & not for road performance.

As a family with an emission scandal car still waiting for action I keep an eye on this area.

I am thinking of opting for the all weather 235 tyres. Anyone got any further advice on whether this is a good idea so far as road noise and ride quality are concerned.
I've got 235 Hankook all seasons. Not problems with noise or handling. Just about to replace the front two which are down to just under 4mm after 14000 miles.

Did they come on your van from new or did you buy after?

I found out from a dealer the all season option are goodyears and based on the tyre size have worked out it must be these......(the only option in that size)

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consu...s_suvgen-1/235-55-17-103-H-5452000650689.html
I have the Goodyear Cargo Vector All Seasons . 21,000 miles and still have 6mm average tread All Round. Quiet, excellent grip in Dry, Wet and on Icy roads + UK snow last year. Will be replacing with the same when they get down to 4mm.

I bought them after once I decided I wanted all seasons.

Back