Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Michelin Cross Climate 2 vs Continental Conti All Season Contact

O

oliver100

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Has anyone got any experience of both of these tyres in 235/55 R17 103H XL TL? Our 2020 ocean's factory tyres are ready for replacement at 36k (215/60/17 conti's) and I want to make the switch to the wider size for ride quality and a bit better traction on fields hence looking at all season.

I know the Michelins are highly regarded but the conti all seasons also seem to review well but dont get talked about as much on here.

We may need to replace later in the year and been wondering the same, so good question. It looks like we will be getting circa 15-18k out of ours (front at 4.6 mm now) - which is a bit disappointing. We have 18” btw.

Worth considering the Goodyear tyre that is now SUV designed spec, slightly stronger sidewalls and tread mud/stone cleaning tread.
I've got the Michelin 60 profile as they didn't do a 55 in SUV spec and found it better than normal 'car' type tyres on the heavy Cali.
Goodyear 55 profile SUV just new on market.

We may need to replace later in the year and been wondering the same, so good question. It looks like we will be getting circa 15-18k out of ours (front at 4.6 mm now) - which is a bit disappointing. We have 18” btw.
We did swap front to back at around 18K which will have helped get to 36k... To be honest this is the most I have ever got out of a set of tyres on any vehicle!

Worth considering the Goodyear tyre that is now SUV designed spec, slightly stronger sidewalls and tread mud/stone cleaning tread.
I've got the Michelin 60 profile as they didn't do a 55 in SUV spec and found it better than normal 'car' type tyres on the heavy Cali.
Goodyear 55 profile SUV just new on market.

Thanks, I believe the XL with the same higher 103 load index is just what goodyear denote as SUV so I think the michelin/conti's would be equal in that respect but I will check the goodyears out too thanks

We did swap front to back at around 18K which will have helped get to 36k... To be honest this is the most I have ever got out of a set of tyres on any vehicle!
You won't get the mileage out of the non commercial type tyres, always an exception of course.

You won't get the mileage out of the non commercial type tyres, always an exception of course.
Yes i imagine that might be the case but if I can get 20K out of normal tyres and have some comfort its a compromise I'm willing to make. My biggest worry is the hit on fuel economy, looking on the door sticker VW only originally spec van tyres in the 215/60/17 size, the 235/55/17 are labelled as 235/55 R17 103H XL on my ocean

Yes i imagine that might be the case but if I can get 20K out of normal tyres and have some comfort its a compromise I'm willing to make. My biggest worry is the hit on fuel economy, looking on the door sticker VW only originally spec van tyres in the 215/60/17 size, the 235/55/17 are labelled as 235/55 R17 103H XL on my ocean
In real life traffic conditions will have more impact than a change of tyre. The tyre label gives info on what to expect.
As a cross check a Summer Goodyear 215 is B fuel rated and the All season 235 is C rated.

Thanks, I believe the XL with the same higher 103 load index is just what goodyear denote as SUV so I think the michelin/conti's would be equal in that respect but I will check the goodyears out too thanks
No, Goodyear do both a standard 103 tyre and now added the SUV 103 version.

If you're not wedded to big name brands, I can highly recommend the Nankang Snow SL-6 215/60 R17C 109/107T. I've used numerous snow tyres and all-seasons over the years (including the VW standard All Seasons on the Transporter) and these have been my go-to on 3 different vehicles for the past 5 years. I've got a set of the Nankangs on steel wheels on my 6.1 right now.

Czy ktoś miał styczność z tymi oponami w rozmiarze 235/55 R17 103H XL TL ? Nasze fabryczne opony Ocean's 2020 są gotowe do wymiany po 36 tys.

Wiem, że Micheliny są wysoko cenione, ale conti na wszystkie sezony również wydają się dobrze oceniać, ale nie mówi się o tym tutaj tak dużo.
Our Cali got such tires. A little over 1000 km driven so far and it's OK!20230205_153447.jpg

So I think I have narrowed it down to the Michelin Crossclimate 2’s or the Latitude cross…. I’m leaning towards the latitudes even though they show as having worse wet grip and fuel economy ratings as I think they might last a bit longer, be great if anyone has any direct experience

So I think I have narrowed it down to the Michelin Crossclimate 2’s or the Latitude cross…. I’m leaning towards the latitudes even though they show as having worse wet grip and fuel economy ratings as I think they might last a bit longer, be great if anyone has any direct experience
In terms of wear and tread design the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate is highly recommended.
Size options are either 215/60/17 or the slightly higher profile (which has been fitted to Calis) of 235/60/17.

Only reason that I can think of why the Latitude Cross isn't winter rated would be the tyre compound not being designed for very low temperatures. Not usually a UK issue as not more than a few days duration.

In a exchange with Goodyear uk they suggested the vector SUV version would be better for the California as it’s designed for vehicles with a higher centre of gravity.
I run the vector gen 3 103 load currently and they have been excellent in the mild very wet Highland winter and good in snow even been more than half worn on the snow wear markers.

Only reason that I can think of why the Latitude Cross isn't winter rated would be the tyre compound not being designed for very low temperatures. Not usually a UK issue as not more than a few days duration.
Reason for Latitude Cross not being winter (ie 3MPSF) marked is possibly because in current version they haven't yet been through the testing/validation process. However they are M+S marked.

Reason for Latitude Cross not being winter (ie 3MPSF) marked is possibly because in current version they haven't yet been through the testing/validation process. However they are M+S marked.
Apparently M+S isn't a standard just a Manufacturers intended use suitability.

Very happy with my Latitude Cross so far. Switched to them from the factory fit Bridgestone Weather Control A005 which were awful for punctures, I was getting a flat every few weeks. One advantage of the Latitude Cross over the Crossclimate is that the tyres are not “handed” - your spare will be fine on either side of the vehicle.

Opona LATITUDE CROSS jest oponą letnią, a znajomy pyta o opony całoroczne?

Two years ago we fitted the all seasons Michelin Agilis Cross Climate on our Cali (215/65/R16).
I took the heavier T109 version, that can handle a weight of 1030 kg per wheel. T106 (950 kg) would have been sufficient I think, but the T109 has not show much wear until now, including months of rough traveling in Greece, The Alps and Wales. Wet gravel roads were not a problem, as long as they are not too steep, then the tires keep spinning (we have front wheel drive).

However, we had a big problem in Greece after soaking rain. On a camping, the same morning that we had to catch the very last ferry back to Italy, we were stuck in the mud.
After a minimal amount of throttle, the front tires had dug themselves deep into the wet sodden camping ground. The rubber profile was completely full of mud in just a few seconds. Only the camping boss's tractor saved us.

1676825953471.jpeg

Other than that no complaints.

I chose these Agilis Cross Climates because at the time of buying in February 2021 Michelin had decided to stop the production of the Latitude Cross Climate. This means, if you have one unrepairable tire, you must buy four new ones. I'm surprised to read here that they are still sold (outgoing stock?).

We drove in many different conditions, wet and cold, hot and dry, even a bit of snow. The tires behaved steady in all situations, although some under steering can be felt taking too sharp corners, even on a dry road. On iced roads the tires are worth nothing, but that applies to all except studded tires. The Agilis Cross Climates have the winter tire 3MPSF symbol.

I can endorse this review:

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

We have the Conti's in 235-55-17. I find them good on fuel economy (they have an A-label) and also the wear is above expectation. Good (enough) traction in snow, sand and of course rain. After 35k (km) there is still >5mm. I would definitely buy them again.

My 2 cents: I have the Continental Vancontact 4 seasons 215/65 r16c tyres fitted on my 2022 110 kW/ DSG Coast, and I'm very satisfied with both the ride, and especially, the fuel consumption > 40 MPG.

Back