Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Options questions

Chrome package ?
Each to their own but I’ve never understood the appeal. Suppose I like simplicity, and prefer less bling.
I do rate the traffic sign recognition though, it’s rarely wrong. I hear the pleas of ‘just read the signs’ but it’s easy to miss them in town, and difficult to know if it’s a 20, 30 or 40mph limit. I have noticed it being correct when Google maps was incorrect (through a temporary speed limit road works area). Worth the money as part of the driver assistance package.

Each to their own but I’ve never understood the appeal. Suppose I like simplicity, and prefer less bling.
I do rate the traffic sign recognition though, it’s rarely wrong. I hear the pleas of ‘just read the signs’ but it’s easy to miss them in town, and difficult to know if it’s a 20, 30 or 40mph limit. I have noticed it being correct when Google maps was incorrect (through a temporary speed limit road works area). Worth the money as part of the driver assistance package.
No driver assistance package available on a new build now.
Not feeling the chrome on Black.
I’m going black on black for badges and the front grill.

You’ve experienced the opposite of me! Maybe Swiss sign posts are more troublesome than the UK signs. I’ll keep an eye on it outside of Switzerland.

Edit: For those interested in the UK’s road signs, and the lady who designed them, have a read here:

Last edited:
The only thing Ive heard about the electric door is that it "bings" when it opens/closes so not great at night if you want to exit the van quietly.
I was worried about this when I ordered it on my MY22 Ocean but now I have it, it is very quiet and not obtrusive at all from outside, or inside. Much much quieter than a manual door even with soft close. For me it’s probably the best option I chose.

I was worried about this when I ordered it on my MY22 Ocean but now I have it, it is very quiet and not obtrusive at all from outside, or inside. Much much quieter than a manual door even with soft close. For me it’s probably the best option I chose.
That’s great, I’ve understood from other users that the 6.1 has a much quieter “bing”, so VW must have been listening to feedback…;-)

Nice, but unfortunately VW have removed the electric sliding door from the configurator now, so it’s not even an option.

Nice, but unfortunately VW have removed the electric sliding door from the configurator now, so it’s not even an option.
IMO VW are saving people spending money on something that's not a suitable option for a camper. At last they've made a right call. Binging at night, having to switch off to stop it binging or to leave it part open, then eventually developing the judders and taking the paint off the rear wheel arch. Good riddance electric door!

Put in my order for a 6.1 4M Ocean.
I have 4M with the 150HP engine and have no regrets that I didn’t get the 204, but I'm not sure if you have that choice in the UK.

DTD have mentioned, at present, they cannot order with the optional electric sliding door. So should I order without it.
The sliding door closes smoothly and easily. I don’t know how much power the automatic one uses, but keep in mind that it comes from the main battery and not the leisure ones, so if you're stationary for a longer time on a pitch that could be a concern.

Is it worthwhile having the increased alternator capacity if I’m having solar panels from Roger ?
I’m happy with my 200W panels from Roger. I believe the bigger alternator is incompatible with the water auxiliary heating option, which in my opinion is more useful.

Traffic sign recognition if I always use Waze ?
You can’t trust it. How fast should you go when the car tells you 40 on the highway and you’re not sure if it should be 80, 100, 110 or 130? It only works when the signage is done just right, which is often not the case (my experience is Switzerland and Italy).

What’s the Pro upgrade consist of with regards the discover Media?
I didn’t opt for it on the theory that VW software is crap so why pay the extra cost. I now have a bit of a regret now because I find the dashboard dials a bit messy to read and suppose (don0t actually know) that the pro would be an improvement.

4 keys are worthwhile as can pop one in a safe underneath. Ghost2 will be installed, so even if they locate key, they cannot start it.
I regret not getting the 4 keys.

Put in my order for a 6.1 4M Ocean.
DTD have mentioned, at present, they cannot order with the optional electric sliding door.
So should I order without it.
It was going to be a “nice to have” rather than “needed”
I understand they are troublesome after 5 years and need maintaining.

Other questions I’d enjoy your input on.
Cheers

If I choose Heated windscreen with heat reflecting glass £528
It removes Acoustic package with heated windscreen which is the same cost £528.
What’s the difference between the two packs.

Is it worthwhile having the increased alternator capacity if I’m having solar panels from Roger ?

What’s EU2 option at £96

Is it worth having high beam package ?
Will install the Lazer lamps in the front grill for country lane zombie killing :/

Traffic sign recognition if I always use Waze ?

Options on colour of bellows, stay with Grey on a Met Black?

What’s the Pro upgrade consist of with regards the discover Media?
If I don’t choose the Pro, Will it still have the digital cockpit as standard on an Ocean?

What is a bed extension with comfort mattress, if I remember correctly is it just the mattress which I don’t need as I use a S2S ocean cut out self inflating mattress.

4 keys are worthwhile as can pop one in a safe underneath. Ghost2 will be installed, so even if they locate key, they cannot start it.

Is the direct tyre pressure monitoring system worth £186?
I’ll know if I have a leak as it has tyre inflation warning as standard ?
Look at threads on the automatic sliding doors - there seem to be several vehicles with faults whereby the sliding door catches the rear wheel arch, and whilst this is not limited to the automatic door there do seem to be several more automatic doors with this issue, than those without.

Sat in a 4M today.
It has the storage net and additional drawer.
My Q.
Can the additional drawer be after market fitted ?

Sat in a 4M today.
It has the storage net and additional drawer.
My Q.
Can the additional drawer be after market fitted ?
Yes but spec it from the factory (unless you need to carry long items through under the bench seat) as it’s cheaper and includes a useful storage net for the roof bed

Yes but spec it from the factory (unless you need to carry long items through under the bench seat) as it’s cheaper and includes a useful storage net for the roof bed
Thank you buddy, that sounds like a plan.
I’ve watched the video, and feel I’d rather have it fitted from factory.
And yes the net in Droitwich looks like it would be a useful addition.
The Buzz in Droitwich also had mosi nets in the lower drawer which is nice.
Think I’m going to go for the shower outlet as well then it’s all sorted for £600

Thank you buddy, that sounds like a plan.
I’ve watched the video, and feel I’d rather have it fitted from factory.
And yes the net in Droitwich looks like it would be a useful addition.
The Buzz in Droitwich also had mosi nets in the lower drawer which is nice.
Think I’m going to go for the shower outlet as well then it’s all sorted for £600
Good idea.
I like the shower, use it more than i thought to rinse the dog, wash our boots and rinse off after a swim.

Good idea.
I like the shower, use it more than i thought to rinse the dog, wash our boots and rinse off after a swim.
Rinsing off the boots even on days out would be good. I copied a bloke who had a black plaster type bucket and a Lakeland washing up brush.
I did it in Feb at Grasmere and it does the trick.
Then put clean boots on in the morning and can drive without clods in the motor.

I’m swaying towards Candy White / Ascot grey, two tone now rather than black.
Black is an absolute pain in the trunk to keep clean.
I always wanted a totally white 6.1, and make it look like an edition.
But feel the two tone will keep it, once it’s dirty, looking better than one colour.
How do I create a poll !

I’m swaying towards Candy White / Ascot grey, two tone now rather than black.
Black is an absolute pain in the trunk to keep clean.
I always wanted a totally white 6.1, and make it look like an edition.
But feel the two tone will keep it, once it’s dirty, looking better than one colour.
How do I create a poll !
If you have the funds, and like it, DO IT. I saw it at the Kundencenter and its what I would have chosen if it was an option for the Edition model. Very classy looking.

If you have the funds, and like it, DO IT. I saw it at the Kundencenter and its what I would have chosen if it was an option for the Edition model. Very classy looking.
Thanks @Corradobrit and with discount from Eurovans, it’s not a whole lot more expensive than deep black.
The lower half to be painted at Droitwich VW, would cost an additional £5k. Or even 1.5 / 2.5k wrap.
So £1800 extra for the two tone is a goer :thumb

Back