Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

At the moment with the fridge running, diesel heater running for hot water only, and lights in the evening I reckon I am using approx 35Ah per day, so in theory you should at least 2 days out of the batteries without solar. There are lots of variables e.g. in in warm weather the fridge will be running more, longer days mean less drain for lights, how often the heater starts etc.

You can always add an MPPT controller under the drivers seat with a connection for a portable solar panel. No drilling needed.
Is it a big job to fit an MTTP controller with connection for portable solar? Who might quote for it? Sounds like a good backup as I could position the solar panel in the sun if the van is in the shade and use the solar panel to charge the Anker also.

Is it a big job to fit an MTTP controller with connection for portable solar? Who might quote for it? Sounds like a good backup as I could position the solar panel in the sun if the van is in the shade and use the solar panel to charge the Anker also.
It shouldn’t be difficult as the main connections for the leisure batteries and chargers are under the seat. I have looked at doing it but not got round to it yet.

£799 for EFD2 at Eurocar parts.
£100 saving

£799 for EFD2 at Eurocar parts.
£100 saving

I can beat that, I bought this 'reconditioned' one plus go a further £50 of this price so cost me £609.

Essentially the external casing has been renewed, but it looked brand new to me. As long as the batteries haven't been used it's as good as new. I reckon Ecoflow is only selling these as reconditioned as they can undercut their retailers and are probably new.

Next gen Man TGE, brings the tech up to the 6.1 standard. Guessing this will also be the base for the GC and many other conversions....

sorry link didn't attach to last thread

That looks great. Do you have any FOMO about getting a current gen MAN with the update around the corner?

I do a bit , although I suppose it’s a bit easier when it’s not your daily driver. Maybe there’s a lot to be said for the long term simplicity of the current gen on a dedicated campervan! Save the bells and whistles for the daily :)

Last edited:
That looks great. Do you have any FOMO about getting a current gen MAN with the update around the corner?

I do a bit , although I suppose it’s a bit easier when it’s not your daily driver. Maybe there’s a lot to be said for the long term simplicity of the current gen on a dedicated campervan! Save the bells and whistles for the daily :)
Yes a bit of FOMO, but then again it's only adding technology that's been available in cars for many years so it's not that revolutionary. The automatic handbrake is probably the only improvement I would really love.

Yes a bit of FOMO, but then again it's only adding technology that's been available in cars for many years so it's not that revolutionary. The automatic handbrake is probably the only improvement I would really love.
I agree with you there and the handbrake would be great but it's no big deal, as you know we have a Sven on order and I can imagine that getting a Sven on the new updated MAN will take ages as the wait list will be huge and for me I am more than happy with the current gen model and of course the updated van will be more expensive for sure.

Is this the biggest transporter based motorhome? Spotted this week, had to do a double take!

View attachment 122722
Yes, that's the Karmann Ontario. It comes in various lengths and was produced only during T4/5 era. Most T5 are 2.5 131ps manuals with rare 174ps. It's rare to see a T5.2 with 140/180ps engines. These are fantastic quality vans with lots of different layouts. Highly sought after vans in Germany usually they sell quick.

Eura Mobil also had a 6.7m long camper however only on the T4 facelift.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Apologizes the van in the picture is a Karmann Colorado. I been looking at Ontarios and Missouri because I don't want to deal with new tech.

Is this the biggest transporter based motorhome? Spotted this week, had to do a double take!

Peter View attachment 122722
Not sure you'd have a van that size (width and height in particular) and want a small cab? I know we love our Transporters, but don't get this.

Not sure you'd have a van that size (width and height in particular) and want a small cab? I know we love our Transporters, but don't get this.
T5-T6 is a much more comfortable and car-like place to be than any Ducato or even Sprinter based cab.

Big issue with for example T6.1 Knaus Vansation 500 vans is they didn't widen the rear track and used springs and antiroll bars that are not suitable for that width and heigh of the vehicle. It bounces and sways all over the road. When parked at a camp site my 55kg dog would make the van move when he would change his sleeping positions at night.

I have not driven the Karmann myself, but I put 5-6k km on the Knaus last year and found that they must have never actually tested this van on the road before mass production. Driving dynamics are on par with a double decker bus.

Example of what I mean in terms of rear track being too narrow. They could have moved the wheels 100mm on either side outwards to have a track that's 20cm(huge in automotive world!) wider that would aid in stability 10 fold.

However they would have to have re-engineered the rear suspension, as simple hub spacers or even a wheel bearing spacer would not be safe. The frame would require the arm mounting clevis points to be pushed out.. This would mean homologation/testing of the vehicle which adds a ton of money.

My house is on a hill so the driveway is not level vs the garage, but the van has swayed over a lot when you look at the garage door line as a reference. Picture of Grand California 600 on the same driveway and you can see that it's nowhere as swayed over.

I have been renting various campers to test out for potential purchase and to see what works and what don't. The more I look at the new stuff, the better the older vans from Eura Mobil, Hobby or Hymer look to us.
b1a13fbee109a39267f282e4bea572cb.jpg
4bd2300bccbc9a726712ec6cdd461380.jpg

Can anyone recommend any forum for bigger vans?
We’ve had our Ocean for two years and are very happy with it. But very deep down I know that I want a 4x4 sprinter conversion, in which I can easily stealth camp anywhere without shifting everything back to front and back every day.
Maybe in 1 or two years time? But I want to start preparing and checking diy options as well.
Thanks for any tips

Sprinter Build Out on Facebook has 54k members should give you all the information you need.
Another useful site is Sprinter Source, general Sprinter information based in USA is also worth a look.

We’ve had our Ocean for two years and are very happy with it. But very deep down I know that I want a 4x4 sprinter conversion, in which I can easily stealth camp anywhere without shifting everything back to front and back every day.
Maybe in 1 or two years time? But I want to start preparing and checking diy options as well.
Thanks for any tips
The Sprinters are great vans, but as a matter of interest why do you prefer them over the Crafter?

Thanks for any tips
If you like proper stealth parkups small one van spots (not on park4night carparks) in the uk I would consider the same route as me VW Transporter LWB hightop. They are massive inside compared to Cali.
Sprinters/crafters are big imposing vans and they have giant sliding doors.
In a Cali or LWB T you get to sit in the rear with that amazing view out the sliding door, no kitchen blocking the gorgeous viewings.
Club jokers are a good option too.
My build in progress. Under sold up but still loving calis thread.IMG_6608.pngIMG_6607.png

The Crafters biggest weakness in 4x4 form is the lack of ground clearance, can be raised but additional cost.
Apart from that it's personal choice, in some ways the Crafter can be a better option.
Like the California, its really about image and brand rather than specifics.
To many as with the Cali the Sprinter 4x4 is the go to vehicle.
You won't find many YouTube adventure travellers driving a Crafter.
In 2x4 the Crafter case is much stronger, easier to covert with its squared off sides.
New Sprinter is now AWD and not 4x4 so lacking low range box, how this will effect the brand moving forward is unknown for the off road enthusiast?

The Crafters biggest weakness in 4x4 form is the lack of ground clearance, can be raised but additional cost.
Apart from that it's personal choice, in some ways the Crafter can be a better option.
Like the California, its really about image and brand rather than specifics.
To many as with the Cali the Sprinter 4x4 is the go to vehicle.
You won't find many YouTube adventure travellers driving a Crafter.
In 2x4 the Crafter case is much stronger, easier to covert with its squared off sides.
New Sprinter is now AWD and not 4x4 so lacking low range box, how this will effect the brand moving forward is unknown for the off road enthusiast?

I wonder if AWD makes more sense…?
I’ve never quite understood the 4x4 aspect with a Sprinter. Seems like the wrong tool to me…

Scheduled to pick up next week. It’s been there a month, but I’ve not had time to go and collect.

Back