Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All this talk about bigger vans…….

chockswahay

chockswahay

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Something rarely mentioned about bigger vans is that (often) due to the layout and design of the seating area there is actually less room for lounging and less overall visibility looking out. We came from Globecar and HymerCar, both Fiat Ducato based, and we particularly notice the panoramic view that the California gives, along with a greater feeling of space, ironically. We have the Coast, I would imagine that the panoramic effect is even greater in the Beach without the wardrobe in the way.

Also (related to the current security thread) the vast majority of the bigger vans have plastic caravan style windows which in practice are no obstacle to the vaguely determined thief who only need a big screwdriver to force the window open. For that matter few of these vans have factory alarm systems either.

Just thought I‘d mention these things as most people get focused on size (matron!).

Last edited:
Fair point, but also means better insulation / less condensation. Cali has no insulation, hence need for camping heater / rear climate control.

We enjoy the views when we get out if the van and take then dog a walk, cycle, surf etc, but can appreciate the less mobile might chose to spend more time in the van. We see alot of older couples in the winter at our beach car park, drinking tea & enjoying the view - so guess it depends on individual needs. Bigger van will mean enclosed toilet / basin and more of a division between kitchen and bed.

A brick will break most windows. Most insurance companies insist on alarms for insurance purposes.

Fair point, but also means better insulation / less condensation. Cali has no insulation, hence need for camping heater / rear climate control.

We enjoy the views when we get out if the van and take then dog a walk, cycle, surf etc, but can appreciate the less mobile might chose to spend more time in the van. We see alot of older couples in the winter at our beach car park, drinking tea & enjoying the view - so guess it depends on individual needs. Bigger van will mean enclosed toilet / basin and more of a division between kitchen and bed.

A brick will break most windows. Most insurance companies insist on alarms for insurance purposes.
How are you getting on with joker, have you picked it up yet?

Might seem obvious but bigger just means bigger not necessarily better.
Better is determined by my particular needs at this moment and could, probably will, change as I age.
At the moment I need a one vehicle solution and can still hobble to a site loo in the dark which points me towards a smaller van.
It’s interesting and informative to read varying views of course, the best reviews always come from actual owners.

We really like the Joker, just can’t get too exited about the price and the wart on top. I have sometimes wondered about converting a Transporter High Top tho…. less ugly

At times we do miss the extra comfort and convenience of the previous vans but I reckon the Joker gets close to the sweet spot, especially for driving and parking

Hoping to get it within next few weeks. Dealer is just fitting front/rear cameras, parking sensors & solar panels.
Is it the Joker or the Joker City you're getting, both are equally enticing propositions in their own way!

I see the beige joker has dropped by £5k I knew commercial vans are struggling to sell, maybe campers are too.

There appears to be more availability for vans at the minute. Hardly surprising considering the cost of living and the high credit terms surely putting many off.
The only reason I’m buying my latest van, is because over the last 15 years I’ve sold vans to close to what I paid for them. Meaning I have the bulk of the money to buy outright.
I wouldn’t be buying a new van if I had to borrow the money.

I think this sector has some difficult times ahead…

Just take a look at this .
11.4%
How can most average families afford this at the minute.
I’m guessing not a lot considering the deposit contribution.

IMG_3311.jpeg

There appears to be more availability for vans at the minute. Hardly surprising considering the cost of living and the high credit terms surely putting many off.
The only reason I’m buying my latest van, is because over the last 15 years I’ve sold vans to close to what I paid for them. Meaning I have the bulk of the money to buy outright.
I wouldn’t be buying a new van if I had to borrow the money.

I think this sector has some difficult times ahead…
Definitely. There was a reason VW were offering 0% HP as a sweetener to shift new stock.

Says one of the suckers who bought one.

Back