Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Big or little awning

gareth230380

gareth230380

Vehicle
T5 Beach
We were also set to get a small (Vango Kela) drive away awning until we went to camping international and walked into a Galli 3 and loved the amount of space. We have a Beach so would look to set up our camping kitchen in the awning, plus have 2 dogs and a 2 year old who need a bit of space.

In peoples experience, is it better to go bigger or smaller with these as we can’t decide.

They are all a load of hassle. I'm not sure one twice the size takes twice the time to set up, so I'd vote for bigger.

My sister has a massive tent, I know some campsite she had issues with it being too big so it may be worth looking if the sites you intend to use have size restriction before you buy a "big top"!

If you’re planning on ‘drive away’ hols where you stay in one place a few days or more I would definitely recommend a drive away. Also agree with both the above comments. With my Vango Kela at C&CC sites I’ve had to park sideways on the pitch so the awning didn’t come out too far.
If you get the Galli, I would suggest always ringing ahead and making sure they give you a pitch big enough.

I have had a second hand Kela for the last year and have just got a new Galli. I reckon the hassle is equivalent but the Galli’s extra space is really worth it.

I would agree with @AlisonF it depends on how you will use your Cali.
last year in Scotland we moved virtually every day and had got the wind out awning out as we were moving so frequently. This year we stayed 3 nights at every site but drove the Cali every day so still the wind out awning with side panels was best for us.

if your going to a site setting up for a week or two then I would vote for bigger :thumb

Moving every day I would agree and not use a drive away awning. Kela and Galli both too much hassle. Wind out good.

We’ve been using a Cinch Hub for the last couple of weeks across three sites and I don’t think we’ll be using a driveaway awning again unless staying in one spot for a couple of weeks. I really like our driveaway but the cinch is up and down in seconds and just a couple of mins to peg out. Has coped very well with 40mph+ gusts last week. Stands nicely between the rear seats and shelf for travel. It’s big enough for us all to sit and eat in around the Cali table in inclement weather as well as housing a Thetford 335 and a 40L storage box for bits and pieces.

e2b3224e10dccff0ed6629bde5185208.jpg

We’ve been using a Cinch Hub for the last couple of weeks across three sites and I don’t think we’ll be using a driveaway awning again unless staying in one spot for a couple of weeks. I really like our driveaway but the cinch is up and down in seconds and just a couple of mins to peg out. Has coped very well with 40mph+ gusts last week. Stands nicely between the rear seats and shelf for travel. It’s big enough for us all to sit and eat in around the Cali table in inclement weather as well as housing a Thetford 335 and a 40L storage box for bits and pieces.

yes w have the decathlon version of that - and agree it’s super useful

did well in strong winds on the Isle of Lewis last year.

Just for completeness to new readers, once in a (long) while you may find yourself in trouble with site owners with an awning that doesn’t attach. It’s only happened to me once, but it was a non camping (ie no tents) site, and having a non attached awning (ie a ‘tent’) breached their planning permission.
Are the motor home and caravan club ok with the ‘separate’ set-up? As it is so much easier.

We were also set to get a small (Vango Kela) drive away awning until we went to camping international and walked into a Galli 3 and loved the amount of space. We have a Beach so would look to set up our camping kitchen in the awning, plus have 2 dogs and a 2 year old who need a bit of space.

In peoples experience, is it better to go bigger or smaller with these as we can’t decide.
We have big for long trips and small for weekends and shorter festivals.

Back