Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best iPhone Navigation App?

Google maps on iOS is the only one that very occasionally crashes CarPlay in two of my vehicles, also my phone gets hot when using it. Therefore I favour Waze. The pothole, speed camera, broken down vehicle alerts are worth gold.

Apple Maps is a lot better than it used to be, but frankly it gets the directions to my house wrong so I can’t face it

Hi all,

I used to be a big fan of Waze but something has happened to it over the last couple of years and now it’s frankly useless.

What are other people using with Car Play? Google Maps, Apple Maps, something else?

Many thanks,

Mike.
Waze works great for me.
I also use Sygic GPS Navigation, because it shows me all the upcoming fuel stations and rest areas along my route.

I have both Waze (free) and Co-pilot (with its annual fee for Active Traffic management). I was happy with Co-pilot for years, and it's sometimes good to have a second app for a second opinion on a route, but I'm finding that I now use Waze more frequently. It is a sophisticated sat-nav, although I find it easier to use if most of the additional options are switched off. I like its huge data base on place names. It will find many campsites from the name alone, without the need for co-ordinates. There's also a quick-click function in Search-for-Sites that opens Waze with the ready-set destination for the chosen site (also applies to Co-Pilot, Tom-Tom, Google Maps and Apple Maps). A lot of our mileage is done on trips abroad and one feature that has not been mentioned in this thread so far is the ability on Waze to enter your van's emission control French Crit'Air category (and the equivalent for other countries). It needs to be done only once. Waze will then plan always routes avoiding any places you should not drive at that particular time. I have found that quite useful and I expect it to be needed more in the future, if the restrictions tighten.

I find Waze a bit of a fuss.
I can't grumble at Apple Maps or Google Maps considering they are free.
Not perfect by any means but 9 times out of 10 no real problem.
That said, last week on google maps I was stopped at some temporary lights. The satellite (therefore could have happened to other apps?) decided that the left hand turn right by my van was the way to go. I later sussed out it had rerouted me due to its inaccuracy thinking I was on that road at the left hand turn. That added 10 minutes to a 2 hour journey and then when about 20 miles from home it asked me if I wanted to accept a faster route by 6 mins.
Hell Yeah!!
Only it didn't seem to know about a road closure that meant the rest of the world was also heading for my little secret detour and I watched the 6 minute advantage evaporate into zero gain and then another 10 minutes. So 2:06hrs was 2:26 in the end.
But thats the first time its ever been more than a few minutes wrong for me and typically I'm a couple of minutes better off.

Is it possible to get apps like maps or tomtom to appear on the digital cockpit instead of the VW Sat nav map?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it possible to get apps like maps or tomtom to appear on the digital cockpit instead of the VW Sat nav map?

No. On the later 6.1 I believe you can get the direction arrow, but tested ours and no dice. TBH never had the need and prefer the ACC in the centre screen.

No. On the later 6.1 I believe you can get the direction arrow, but tested ours and no dice. TBH never had the need and prefer the ACC in the centre screen.

Hmm ok thanks. Mine is a ‘22 T6.1 - would like to know how to get the arrow. Although I often just have the vw map there zoomed out so I know just how far off course I am.

My Cali is too old to have a screen but, in my 2017 Golf, if I plug in my phone to the system with a USB cable while using Waze, the map replaces the VW sat-nav map on the screen. Presumably that works in a Cali too, but in mine I'm happy just to use the map on the phone screen (held in place on the dashboard with a magnetic fixer.

My Cali is too old to have a screen but, in my 2017 Golf, if I plug in my phone to the system with a USB cable while using Waze, the map replaces the VW sat-nav map on the screen. Presumably that works in a Cali too, but in mine I'm happy just to use the map on the phone screen (held in place on the dashboard with a magnetic fixer.

Yes it works exactly the same - appears on the Sat nav screen replacing the vw one but on the T6.1 there’s also the dashboard display - either full digital cockpit which has another map display or the analogue dash which also has a multi function display (MFD) which some folks have mentioned, enables phone navigation app directions too. I’ve not yet managed to achieve such technical nirvana

Yes it works exactly the same - appears on the Sat nav screen replacing the vw one but on the T6.1 there’s also the dashboard display - either full digital cockpit which has another map display or the analogue dash which also has a multi function display (MFD) which some folks have mentioned, enables phone navigation app directions too. I’ve not yet managed to achieve such technical nirvana

It doesn’t work with all apps. Waze, no, Apple yes, Google don’t know. You also need to enable the direction widget on the MFD display in one of the circles, it does not use the maps function on the MFD.

Last edited:
Back