Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thinking of swapping my RNS 510 for an aftermarket CarPlay unit. Alpine iLX-700 or Pioneer SPH-DA120

I've since downloaded the NavMii (was Nav Free) free offline satnav and had a play with it using the wifi mirrorlink.

Works a treat (including voice turn-by-turn) and means that for the price of a map (£2.29) I can use that when abroad with zero data requirements. Some nice plugins to google, tripadvisor, foursquare and the phone contacts etc which are all built in make this a very nice setup. You can just download the NavMii app for the country(ies) that you intend to visit for free. You'd end up with separate apps for each country (that you would need to switch to, as you enter them) but it's then free!

The actual bypass procedure for the video when moving is to simply earth the "parking brake" cable, the additional £10 "microbypass" adapter isn't needed (this is straight from Alpine and it works!). For a very small investment, this really does open up a nice set of apps and video (even though you must control these via the phone and the screen output isn't as crisp as CarPlay). You can also mirror an android phone to it if you wanted to.

Great post Andy, did you notice your sound being much improved over the stock unit? Are you looking to change the speakers, or anything else?

I've tried the Pioneer unit out in a shop and thought CarPlay looked good.Think the Alpine unit looks must nicer but haven't had a chance to try one out.

I'm just about to install some new speakers and a tiny but quality amp for my RNS510, so will see how it sounds, if's it's not good will maybe consider one of these units.

Definitely. I've still got the stock speakers and yet the sound is a lot richer. There's the Alpine "Tuneit" app too which I think is a bit OTT in a standard configuration and just use the media xpander settings which has plenty of decent presets.

Hi Andy, can you tell me where the surrounding fascia/faceplate thingy comes from please, or does the alpine 'just' fit?

Hi Andy, can you tell me where the surrounding fascia/faceplate thingy comes from please, or does the alpine 'just' fit?

It needs a fascia & itting kit if you have a facelift (post 2010).

All aftermarket stereos will need this.

I would recommend getting a more expensive one as they fit a lot nicer. The cheap ones stick out.

When I'm back on my laptop I can add a link.

I brought one from Road Radio, think it was £80 all in, this was plug and play and also dealt with steering wheel controls.

Hi

Please can someone with an RNS510 , VW MDI, iphone with iOS 9 and lightening connector please tell me ......

When podcast EPISODES within a given podcast are listed on the screen are they in title or DATE order ?

Ie can you easily play oldest to newest by it just rolling from one episode to the next automatically

If you need something to make the order obvious try downloadimg a few Alan Davies As Yet Untitled episodes

Thanks

Yes you need this kit from Alpine http://www.alpine-europe.com/index....stallation-kit4956/kit-7vwx&level_num=product

You can get one which includes the Canbus adapter so that you get the parking sensor display or one without it (bit cheaper). Both have the VW-specific faceplate

Thanks for the info Andy. I have decided to go all out and get the Pioneer F80DAB+ fitted. http://www.pioneer-car.eu/de/en/products/avic-f80dab

As my Cali now calls Australia home, it's not so easy to find anybody with knowledge/experience /parts etc for the van but I've had a chat with some guys here in Sydney and I'm booked in with them for fitting in July. Will post pics, review etc once done

Hi

Please can someone with an RNS510 , VW MDI, iphone with iOS 9 and lightening connector please tell me ......

Think you may need to repost into the Audio & Nav section here as this is specifically for CarPlay units (in my case a replacement of the RNS 510 device) so you can probably tell what my advice would be ;)

Whilst I'm at in (and in the spirit of "balanced reporting") I did find a minor niggle with my Alpine unit on a recent tour. The screen could do to be a bit brighter. This was only in *very* bright sunlight and wearing polarising sunglasses (arguably because of the angle of the radio aperture, it's not vertical). The RNS wasn't good at this either, but had less detail on the screen so was less of an issue.

Hi

When podcast EPISODES within a given podcast are listed on the screen are they in title or DATE order ?

Ie can you easily play oldest to newest by it just rolling from one episode to the next automatically

If you need something to make the order obvious try downloadimg a few Alan Davies As Yet Untitled episodes

Thanks

I have this set up, honestly I have no idea how it sorts the podcasts, it's a nightmare to find the right one. I doubt it'll be by date, so probably alphabetical (which is useless)

I have CarPlay in my Car, works much better.

I have this set up, honestly I have no idea how it sorts the podcasts, it's a nightmare to find the right one. I doubt it'll be by date, so probably alphabetical (which is useless)

I have CarPlay in my Car, works much better.

It's easier to hook up via Bluetooth and then just play it using the phone.

Back