Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Owners Please Help...

Wobble’s Mum

Wobble’s Mum

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello!

We currently have a Beach on loan to us whilst our Ocean undergoes some repair work. We really want to go away in it this weekend but a little dubious as it’s very different to what we are used to, and was hoping you guys could help?

I just about worked out how to move the 3 seater bench forward but I can’t drop the back right down to make a bed. It just won’t go flat. It also has a board/table type thing in the back which is obviously part of the bed but has no mattress or cover or anything. We can sleep up top but I didn’t know if this was normal? Should it have a mattress like the Ocean or not?

My second query is; where is the winding handle for the awning? I’ve looked all over and either they haven’t given it to us, or it’s cleverly stored away?!

The weather is meant to be lovely this weekend and I really want to try the Beach experience whilst it’s in our possession.

Hi
Sounds like you areisding a couple of of things. The three seat bench goes pretty flat. The lever to make the seat fold is in the middle under the front edge of the bench seat. When the seat is 'flat' it goes against the 'table' (its called a "multiflex board"). The multiflex board has an undulating edge to accommodate the seat belt fixings on the top edge of the bench seat. The bench seat has to be a fair way forward to butt up to the multiflex board when the seat is flat.
It does make a bed that way but it doesn't sound like you have a mattress. You will probably need to put something on it to sleep. Blow up bed perhaps?
Re the awning handle. There is no clever stowing place for this in the beach as far as I'm aware. If you can't find it, it's probably not there.
Good luck though. The beach is very versatile and comfortable with the right equipment...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oops for "areisding" read "are missing"

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pull the handle under the base and push the backrest away without putting too much weight on the base. The mechanism works in a way that the base must rise to allow it to finish flat with the backrest.

There is no set storage place for the awning handle but have you looked in the chair storage area? Used to mainly keep mine there.

Is it not like the Ocean, the Awning handle is clipped to the interior forward edge of the drawer under the bench seat?

Maybe check the awning handle hasn’t been stuffed down the side of the rear bench seat by the sliding door (that’s where mine goes)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it not like the Ocean, the Awning handle is clipped to the interior forward edge of the drawer under the bench seat?
No full width drawer on the 3 seat version, I believe.

No problems sleeping upstairs. It is going to be warmer so no need for a topper for insulation. Sleeping bags might be your best option.

There is a knack to folding the seat into bed mode. Pull the handle to tip the backrest back then once back lift the front of the base a little to make it rock up and towards the cab. You can top it right down and then, if the whole seat needs to go forward another inch to go flat you can still reach the release strap to slide the whole bench a bit further.

There should be a pad on the multiflex and I store my awning handle in the bottom open "pocket" beneath the NS window.

We always sleep downstairs and the kids are upstairs, but the upstairs bed is a lot lot more comfortable!!!

Thanks for all of the responses.

There is definitely no awning handle, no bottom mattress, no tow bar for the bike rack and so we decided that as we’d have to go and buy yet more camping gear just for a few days, it made more sense that we’d stay fairly local and use it as a day van instead

Spent the Bank Hol on Exeter canal with the bikes and paddle boards instead. What a versatile machine we all have the pleasure of owning hey?

We are a very lucky bunch of people.

Sounds like the dealer forgot a few things. The 3 seat beach bed is to be frank, horrible without a mattress topper so you probably had a close escape there ;) The two seat is apparently the same one as the ocean.

Yep, having slept many times on the 3 seat in my old ‘velle with just a thermarest I can confirm... don’t.

Yep, having slept many times on the 3 seat in my old ‘velle with just a thermarest I can confirm... don’t.

I have slept in mine without a topper.
One of the most uncomfortable nights sleep I’ve ever had...!!!
You got to have a topper.
I have two and it’s now as comfortable as my bed at home.

Then again, I have never experienced any campervan bed which is comfortable without the aid of a decent mattress topper.

Back