Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seasoned Beach Owners - 2 seat or 3 seats?

Sunshine&Snow

Sunshine&Snow

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello! We're decided we're definitely getting a California Beach but are completely torn on whether to get the 2 seat with the bench or the 3 seat. We're finding it hard to visualise how it will feel spending time in it, both as a daily use family car and as a camper. We would love some input from some beach owners.

These are some of our thoughts and specifics:

- We're a family of 4 with 2 kids under 10 years old. The kids will sleep upstairs and us downstairs.
- the 2 seat with the bench looks like it might feel cosyer as a camper than the 3 seater? Is the 3 seater joyful to camp in?
- we're not sure about the kids sitting elbow to elbow on long journeys?
- the storage box looks useful, with the 3 seats is it hard to see where the kettle and what not would go without being in the way.
- the 2 seater has the big drawer which we tested (in an ocean) for the weekend and it was great. The 3 seater has those 3 tiny boxes, which look fairly useless.
- the extra floating chair with the 2 seat and the bench... We need 5 seats once every 2 weeks to transport 4 kids. Is it weird having the extra seat in the middle on a daily basis? Are they hard to lift in and out?

I guess it's a question of joy for the 3 seater (we want it to always be tempting us to a weekend away! Not making us feel like we're driving a big taxi) versus the convenience of the 2 seat (mostly how weird and inconvenient an extra seat is and whether the kids will row/struggle to watch telly on long (9hrs plus) drives).

How do your 2 seater and 3 seat California's make you feel? And how do they do as campers/family cars?

Hi,

There is no right answer for this one, it really depends where you want to make your compromises.

We have 2 kids 8 and 10 and have the 2 seater. We love the more "camper" feel the 2 seater with bench has and yes the big drawer is great. However for us the main issue was sleep comfort and the 2 seater when in bed mode is a) flatter because the seats aren't contoured like the 3 seater and b) is lower so you have more headroom when sitting in bed.

We never have to transport 5 in the van as we have a car. I don't know whether having to lug an extra seat in every 2 weeks would make the 3-seater a more attractive option, I think maybe it would.

Hello! We're decided we're definitely getting a California Beach but are completely torn on whether to get the 2 seat with the bench or the 3 seat. We're finding it hard to visualise how it will feel spending time in it, both as a daily use family car and as a camper. We would love some input from some beach owners.

- We're a family of 4 with 2 kids under 10 years old. The kids will sleep upstairs and us downstairs.
- the 2 seat with the bench looks like it might feel cosyer as a camper than the 3 seater? Is the 3 seater joyful to camp in?
- the storage box looks useful, with the 3 seats is it hard to see where the kettle and what not would go without being in the way.
- the 2 seater has the big drawer which we tested (in an ocean) for the weekend and it was great. The 3 seater has those 3 tiny boxes, which look fairly useless.
- the extra floating chair with the 2 seat and the bench... We need 5 seats once every 2 weeks to transport 4 kids. Is it weird having the extra seat in the middle on a daily basis? Are they hard to lift in and out?

I guess it's a question of joy for the 3 seater (we want it to always be tempting us to a weekend away! Not making us feel like we're driving a big taxi) versus the convenience of the 2 seat (mostly how weird and inconvenient an extra seat is and whether the kids will row/struggle to watch telly on long (9hrs plus) drives).

How do your 2 seater and 3 seat California's make you feel? And how do they do as campers/family cars?
We understand your dilemma, we went through the same analysis before deciding on the 2 seater. For us it was absolutely the correct decision, but it’s very much down to how you want to use it. For us the 3 seater didn’t have the ‘feel’ of a camper & felt less spacious. However there are many who have and are quite happy with the 3 seater as it meets their needs. As to moving an extra seat in and out hopefully some who do this will advise you. Whichever you go for the Beach is a fabulous campervan, we love ours, good luck

The 3 seat bench for us is more flexible as we gain more storage underneath the rear of the bench (which works especially well with a 800mm sliding boot tray), still allows us fit the 2 additional seats when we need a 7 seater & the rear multiflex board is very easy to remove if we need to transport taller items.

Only downside is that downstairs bed needs a decent overlaid mattress if you want any sort of comfort, but the folding ones sit nicely on top of the MFB.

It’s best to go and have a look at a few, and decide exactly what equipment you will be taking with you and see how it all fits in between the 2/3 bench models.

Whichever you decide to go for, make sure it has the auxiliary heater fitted as this gives you another level of comfort.

I have two kids under 10 and can't recommend the 3 seater enough. Always that time one of your kiddies wants to bring a friend so the extra seat is amazing.(rather than having a stupidly heavy and cumbersome extra seperate seat).

You can always make it a proper 7 seater if you buy two extra seats. The 2 seat version can only be maxxed out as a 5 seater as you can only fit on more seat in.

The multi flex board in the 2 seater is poor as being classed as 'flexi', it's rigid and low too. The 3 seater one is a true multiplex board so can even for 4 bikes in the back as it comes out quite easily ;-)

I preordered a 2 seater but on refection, so happy got a 3 seater.

Don't worry about bed comfy, we use 10cm memory foam mattress and it couldn't be comfier.

The 3 little storage compartments are really handy, and you can fit more than you think.

We also have vanesea windows bags and Inka rear seat pockets (bandrup ones are a rip off) for tonnes of storage.

That true multi flex board really comes into its own when you have kiddies, and of course, can make a camper into a true van quite easily, pull seats forward, push flex board right back hey presto van storage for them IKEA/ recycling centre/ new washing machine etc collection trips ;-)

Beach good call, that extra space with kiddies is absolutely a god send!!!

Personally I like the three seater, I have two additional seats so can transport up to 7 people. God send when the kids want to take a friend each and still have some elbow room.
You make a good point regarding the additional space of the three seat rear bench, on long trips we put pillows and blankets between the kids so they have there own space , this stops the arguments over the space available and allows then to sleep if they want to without annoying each other.
The 3 seat bed is nice and large, the comfort mattress is profiled so it removes all the contours of the seat and provides a large flat bed. I don’t have a problem with the comfort of the three seater (I have a back issue, which is not aggravated by the mattress).
The multiflex in the three seater is higher and offers more storage below it than a two seat beach, conversely the two seat has additional storage due to the two seat bench and the single draw under the seat. The three seater has three separate storage areas
In the end the choice is yours to make, those with a two or three seat beach, choose it for there own reasons.
I chose the 3 seat version with two additional seats as we had previously owned a caravelle and new it worked spot on for our family needs, MPV and camper all in one.
Whatever you decide you will love it I’m sure

If you ever think you might need to transport 5 people it has to be the 3seat bench. Personally I don't see any other advantage of the 3seat over the 2seat.

We're another 2 seat Beach.

We liked the flexibility of the large lower bed if you need it, although we tend to use the area above the bench for storage when we are away. Whilst not the best of designs the storage bench in conjunction with the Ocean style under seat drawer does work well.

The multiflex really is useless but can be replaced. I'll post an image of our variation on existing solution when I remember (essentially a board hinged at the seat end, easily stowed against the rear of the seat with no silly cross beam that makes the boot unusable.)

It really is just a 4 seater though, not ideal if you need to carry more people occasionally. The extra seat may or may not work for you.

Great vehicles though.

We love the flexibility of our 3 seat bench Beach. At home it is a seven seat MPV, away the two seats come out, the boys (4 & 5) have plenty of room. We've spent a full year sleeping in it while touring Europe and while the lower bed is never completely flat it is comfortable enough for night after night after night sleeping.

The payload of the three seat bench Beach is staggering, and you will have plenty of space for everything you could need. On our most recent trip, ten nights in the Loire Valley, the boot was half empty, but you do need to be organised in the way you pack.

I have made four plywood crates for the front of the boot.

IMG_2050.JPG

Muji drawers contain all our kitchen equipment at the back of the boot.

IMG_2084.JPG

The mattress and bedding goes above.

To make the bed all that needs unpacking is the plywood board and the two shallow crates. They can all be slid under the van.

Clothing for four go in window bags.

It is just so easy!

3 seat bench with 2 extra single seats. 4 children between 10 and 18. When they were younger we all fitted in the 2 beds. Now we leave one behind and use a tent or awning for two. BUT, we love the day to day flexibility of having seven seats. It means we can take friends or Granny anytime. We use the Beach as a daily driver as well as for occasional camping. It is the the best.

The theme coming through from those with the three seater is very much around frequently using it as an mpv allowing transportation of more than four people. Having previously had a seven seater land cruiser of which the rear seats had never been used, we didn’t want that, we wanted the space of a two seater.
Think about how you want to use the vehicle all year round, to best suit your lifestyle, the extra space or the extra seat. Another consideration is availablity of two seaters, when we were looking it was predominantly three seaters the two’s were very scarce. Whatever you decide will be right, good luck.

Two kids of 6 and 4, coming from a T5 SE, we shifted to T6 Beach three seater bench. Main reason is the really multiflexboard. The bed is less comfortable, solved with a topper. But as it’s my everyday vehicle, it’s the most versatile I’ve ever had. Bu the way, whatever your choice, you’ll love it.

Unless we are camping or carrying a big load, we usually have all five seats fitted. The chairs are awkward to shift in and out, but the key to successful transformation of the van from 7 seat MPV to camping mode is somewhere convenient to store the seats when not in use. They do in our garage style bike shed at the front of the house.

Kids have a tendency to grow. They may be happy to sit next to each other on the narrow two seat bench at the moment but will they always feel that way? You need to work out how you will use the vehicle over the next few years and how your needs may well change.

I'm sure both versions are brilliant but the three seat bench version will future proof your ownership. It is far more flexible. If your kids want to take friends out with them you can seat up to seven (if you have the two extra swivel seats). The storage solutions in both versions are different but IMO the three seater again allows for greater flexibility. The Multiflex board in the two seater is fixed and isn't remotely flexible. It is lower than the three seater version so whilst you gain headroom when sitting and when the bed is made up, the boot storage is compromised. Certain storage solutions just won't fit. The three seater Multiflex can also be shortened by folding the hinged front portion. This in turn enables greater flexibility when configuring the interior.

The two seater bench and storage box create a large flat bed. This I believe is slightly longer than the three seater bench when folded into bed mode. The three seater bench is primarily designed for seating but with the addition of the VW Comfort Mattress option that too makes a wonderful huge flat bed. However, as I've already said, it is slightly higher so there will be less headroom when the roof is down. However, IMO the compromise is well worth it.

Here are some snaps showing the versatility of the three seater bench version:20190728_094339.jpg20190728_094052.jpg

20190728_101602.jpg

20190728_102724.jpg20190728_094339.jpg

Last edited:
I have a two-seat bench & am occasionally frustrated by the lack of a fifth seat, but no way I'm adding a spare to lug in and out - they are *heavy* ...
  • The box isn't that much use IMO, but it'd be good for a kettle and camping accessories.
  • The two-seat bench bed is awesome (comfy and flat), and far lower than the three-seat bench bed. Having said that of course the space underneath it is also then compromised ...
  • OP said four kids - is this plus two adults, or one? If you regularly need to transport five people total then it's a no-brainer to get the three-seat bench.

Kids have a tendency to grow. They may be happy to sit next to each other on the narrow two seat bench at the moment but will they always feel that way? You need to work out how you will use the vehicle over the next few years and how your needs may well change.

I'm sure both versions are brilliant but the three seat bench version will future proof your ownership. It is far more flexible. If your kids want to take friends out with them you can seat up to seven (if you have the two extra swivel seats). The storage solutions in both versions are different but IMO the three seater again allows for greater flexibility. The Multiflex board in the two seater is fixed and isn't remotely flexible. It is lower than the three seater version so whilst you gain headroom when sitting and when the bed is made up, the boot storage is compromised. Certain storage solutions just won't fit. The three seater Multiflex can also be shortened by folding the hinged front portion. This in turn enables greater flexibility when configuring the interior.

The two seater bench and storage box create a large flat bed. This I believe is slightly longer than the three seater bench when folded into bed mode. The three seater bench is primarily designed for seating but with the addition of the VW Comfort Mattress option that too makes a wonderful huge flat bed. However, as I've already said, it is slightly higher so there will be less headroom when the roof is down. However, IMO the compromise is well worth it.

Here are some snaps showing the versatility of the three seater bench version:View attachment 52059View attachment 52060

View attachment 52057

View attachment 52058View attachment 52059
Yes the multi flex board in the 2 seater is a pain but we are used to it now & it doesn’t inhibit our storage. With a Calicap drawer, Vanessa bag & the fixed storage box we actually have more storage space than we need. It meets our needs perfectly as there aren’t any children to consider. Again stating the obvious it’s down to an individual’s needs & lifestyle.

I've not read all above so it could have been mentioned already, but 3 seater bench is more shaped, so in theory is more comfortable for sitting in on long drives. Obviously if your kids use booster seats that's irrelevant though. And in addition I'm not sure kids even notice chair comfort. They've got bigger problems like fighting with their sibling next to them :D

Here are some snaps showing the versatility of the three seater bench version:View attachment 52059View attachment 52060

View attachment 52057

View attachment 52058View attachment 52059
The pictures are fantastic. Thanks!

All your responses are great! So helpful. Thanks to each of you for taking the time to respond. Many of the points made weren't really on my radar like the non-flex multi-flex board and all the other convenient points of the 3 seater.

We're going to go and have a play with a couple of options at the garage, which should help a little.

Really though I have a head vs. heart issue, which is worse after reading all your messages. My head says the 3 seater is the right choice, but I love the fun of the 2 seater. The pondering continues!

The pictures are fantastic. Thanks!
We are now on our second seven seater Beach and I cannot speak highly enough about this highly flexible vehicle. However, as has already been said, you do need somewhere to store the two extra seats when they aren''t in the van. Also they are heavy so I recommend a small trolley to move them around. Having said that these extra swivel seats are very high quality and are an extremely useful enhancement. You might not use them very often but when you do they are safe, comfortable and utterly superb.

We camped in our previous Beach alot and it was brilliant. We only collected our latest one last week but are already itching to get away in it. Here's one more snap for you:
Screenshot_20191026-234004_Gallery.jpg

I belong to an alpine skiing/hiking group. When it's just me, I take out the 2 second row seats and have a living room downstairs and bedroom upstairs. But when I'm with my mates, we can go 7 to the Alps to ski, or 7 to the Pyrenees to hike. The degree of flexibility of a 3 seat bench is amazing. Take out the second row, add a fridge, a cartridge stove, a comfort mattress and a jug of water and it's an Ocean, but neither a 2 seater Beach nor an Ocean can take 7 with all their packs/skis/bikes on an adventure. If you regularly do trips with more than 4 people, the 3 seat bench Beach is your chariot. If you are a couple or 3 or 4, look at a 2 seat Beach or an Ocean. Be aware that the 2 seat Beach bed is the lower version of the Ocean. The higher 3 seat bench has a much more flexible/adjustable multiflex board, and it's higher level gives a larger opening for storage underneath, important for fridge, backpacks, foldable bikes, etc.

I belong to an alpine skiing/hiking group. When it's just me, I take out the 2 second row seats and have a living room downstairs and bedroom upstairs. But when I'm with my mates, we can go 7 to the Alps to ski, or 7 to the Pyrenees to hike. The degree of flexibility of a 3 seat bench is amazing. Take out the second row, add a fridge, a cartridge stove, a comfort mattress and a jug of water and it's an Ocean, but neither a 2 seater Beach nor an Ocean can take 7 with all their packs/skis/bikes on an adventure. If you regularly do trips with more than 4 people, the 3 seat bench Beach is your chariot. If you are a couple or 3 or 4, look at a 2 seat Beach or an Ocean. Be aware that the 2 seat Beach bed is the lower version of the Ocean. The higher 3 seat bench has a much more flexible/adjustable multiflex board, and it's higher level gives a larger opening for storage underneath, important for fridge, backpacks, foldable bikes, etc.

Making the bed in the 3 seat bench Beach with all seven seats is possible.

IMG_2631.JPG

The multiflex is shortened, the bench seat is folded forward to a table, the single seats are folded forward.

IMG_2635.JPG

IMG_2636.JPG

There is just about standing room in front of the bed, if the front chairs were swivelled there would be a little more elbow room for changing into pyjamas.

For over two years our Beach was our only car, and it is surprisingly flexible. Four of us, including two pre-school children, lived in it for a year. Six adults ages 51 to 85 travelled comfortably from London to the Yorkshire Dales and back for a long weekend of first and second generation family fun.

20180819_110455.jpg

Back