Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Options..... (Again)

But you have to remember that the Beach and the Ocean are completely different vehicles, suited to very different life styles. Yes, for the price of a well specced Beach, you probably could buy a new Ocean but that wouldn't be a sensible choice if it wasn't a good fit with your lifestyle. In fact, it could end up being a very expensive blunder. So to the OP, be honest by asking yourself some searching questions about how you are likely to use the vehicle in the long term. Put aside any of those "rose coloured spectacle" intentions that some owners clearly have when signing on the dotted line. I suspect that many a Cali has ended up in the For Sale section when they discovered that they hadn't thought things through.

If you do still want a Beach, you now have the added complication of which version, Camper or Tour. Only you can make that choice. However, if you decide to go for the Tour, remember that it won't have an electrical hook up point. Not a plus point if you are buying a campervan.

We are on our second T6 Beach which we purposely ordered days before T6 Beach production ended. I won't elaborate but we didn't want a T6-1. Being a long term ownership prospect, when it came to options we decided to have the van we really wanted. The previous Beach was an ex demo van. Accordingly, having a very good idea of the worth of the various options, we got busy ticking boxes. The only ones we didn't tick were:
1. Flappy paddles - had them on other vehicles and never used them.
2. Electric slider - Over complicated and can lead to expensive issues later on. Decided on the soft close option on the slider and tailgate instead. Brilliant.
3. Dynamic suspension - Don't know if this is any good but I wasn't unhappy with the standard setup.
4. That flashing blindspot thing in the mirrors - Never needed it before and I have always checked over my shoulder.
5. "Leather"/Alcantara seat coverings - There are not leather but plastic with man made Alcantara and anyway we were going to cover them with waterproof covers so not worth considering. IMO this option is a complete waste of money.

We ordered everything else and there hasn't been anything that we have felt was a waste of money either.

The top of our options list where LEDs. Having experienced the standard H4 HLs on the previous Beach, candles in jam jars would very nearly have been an improvement. The LEDs are utterly superb especially with high beam assist.

The parking heater was the next must have. It turns the van into a 365 day a year camper, day van, mobile office, beach hut etc.

We even ordered two extra captains seats. They only get used once or twice a year but are super useful when fitted. Besides, when the time comes to sell having a seven seater will add to it's sales appeal. However, they are heavy and you do need somewhere to store them when not fitted.
For number 5, we love the alcantra seats! Totally took the van from standard to lux

For number 5, we love the alcantra seats! Totally took the van from standard to lux
We had an all bells and whistles SE a few years ago. That had actual leather with alcatraz.
Three atempts and my wife's mobile still refuses to allow me to type the name of the man made suede effect section of the seat facings correctly, preffering instead to call them after a American ex clink.
I don't see a vinyl/plastic and man made suede as being remotely "Lux". Also it is way too expensive for what it is. If it had been real leather I would have ticked that box too.

We had an all bells and whistles SE a few years ago. That had actual leather with alcatraz.
Three atempts and my wife's mobile still refuses to allow me to type the name of the man made suede effect section of the seat facings correctly, preffering instead to call them after a American ex clink.
I don't see a vinyl/plastic and man made suede as being remotely "Lux". Also it is way too expensive for what it is. If it had been real leather I would have ticked that box too.
an animal product or not, it’s a lovely feel and was worth it for us

Should have asked, how many of you will be regularly using it on a day to day basis or whilst camping?

The Beach is fantastic, especially if there are 5 of you but the Beach is NOT the best value for money once you add a lot of options.

Once you add the options, it comes out very close to an Ocean which has most of the options included and then a few more that are not available on the Beach. Admittedly you may not want them but they are nice to have.

Extra Chrome bars on Grille
A pillar internal front blind
Electric Roof
Dash trims
Digital Dash
Electric soft close to sliding door

Probably a few other bits that I can’t recall.

The Beach is great but certainly not the best value for money!
Yes, when we decided to order 2 years ago, the value for money played a role. Both Beach and Ocean are attractive vehicles for us. There are situations where we feel a 4 seater is restricting us. On the other side, we had splendid holidays where we used the kitchen.
I think if the pricing would have been less oriented towards the Ocean, we would have ordered a Beach. I personally don't think the Beach should be seen as "lower" to the Ocean, which unfortunately is VWs strategy.

@roblpmedinburgh - I think this thread was supposed to answer your questions, but I wonder if you are now a bit more confused. You will get a whole range of views on the forum but I advise that you get back to a few basics first..
- First of all, how many seats do you really need?

- You said you needed a daily driver but wouldn’t use it much, is that correct?

- Also, you said you plan to do up about 5 nights away per month. How many camping trips per month do you envisage?

@roblpmedinburgh - I think this thread was supposed to answer your questions, but I wonder if you are now a bit more confused. You will get a whole range of views on the forum but I advise that you get back to a few basics first..
- First of all, how many seats do you really need?

- You said you needed a daily driver but wouldn’t use it much, is that correct?

- Also, you said you plan to do up about 5 nights away per month. How many camping trips per month do you envisage?

Well all good questions. It’s a bit of a strange plan. I’m gonna move from Edinburgh to London but need to be in Scotland maybe one week a month. Probably stay with friends most of the time. Bit of camping. Got a dog in tow hence the drive and not plane/train. Then weekends away from London with the other half and the dog.

So tbh Ocean probably makes sense but I really like the idea of having a lot of space for moving stuff around (I will still have storage and family in Scotland) and the flexibility. I think a sink pod and a portable fridge will do fine.

Who knows! I will rent an ocean for a weekend soon I think.

@roblpmedinburgh good luck with the move. I know plenty of people who live in Edinburgh, work in London, but sounds like you have the opposite travel requirements.

I think I would go for a Beach in your position - easier transport of things between Edi and London, and for taxiing people around when you’re visiting family.

Apologies as there are threads before but I would like to ask some specific questions!

I'm gonna order Beach, standard colour, standard upholstery, standard wheels, 3 seat bench. Daily driver and van. Some camping! Will investigate cooler, sink pod and porta pottie later!

These options selected:

Rear view camera
Front and rear parking sensors
Electrically adjustable, heated, folding exterior mirrors
High beam assist
Privacy glass in passenger compartment with heat insulating glass in cab
Towbar preparation includes trailer stabilisation
LED headlamps with LED separate daytime running light
3-seater bench (movable) with reclining seat mechanism, multi-flex board with padding, 3 drawers
Climatronic 3 zone air conditioning with 2nd evaporator, auxiliary heater, air conditioned headliner and additional passenger control
Programmable parking heater with radio remote control and auxiliary heater
80 litre fuel tank
Stronger AGM battery and increased alternator capacity

What's with these options?

Privacy glass in passenger compartment with heat insulating glass in cab (any good?!)
Navigation system discover media including streaming and internet £1446!! I will just use Carplay. Screen size seems a bit small but no cheap upgrade for that?
Lots of sliding window this and that??! Do I need more slifding windowns?!
Canvas sides? What is that?
Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat? Do I need this with 3 seat?

And Maybe I should just get these packs instead of the separate options?

Trailer assist including park assist, front and rear parking sensors, rear view camera and side protection
Lights and vision pack - California (Although this doesnt really replace much but is only £342!)

Anything missing?!!

Thanks for your input!

Cheers

Rob
I’ve had my 2019 beach for 18 months and use it daily. The one upgrade I’d definitely add is LEDs.

Also the bed extension/mattress if you’ll be sleeping downstairs.

I’d probably spec the parking heater if I was buying new but have only missed it once or twice in the time I’ve had the van.

I’ve upgraded the wheels from standard 17 inch to 18 with Michelin cross climates - big improvement for me - tyres especially.

Well all good questions. It’s a bit of a strange plan. I’m gonna move from Edinburgh to London but need to be in Scotland maybe one week a month. Probably stay with friends most of the time. Bit of camping. Got a dog in tow hence the drive and not plane/train. Then weekends away from London with the other half and the dog.

So tbh Ocean probably makes sense but I really like the idea of having a lot of space for moving stuff around (I will still have storage and family in Scotland) and the flexibility. I think a sink pod and a portable fridge will do fine.

Who knows! I will rent an ocean for a weekend soon I think.
Be aware. The Beach Camper with 1 sliding door and pull out gas hob is classed as a Motor Caravan and pays a low Road Tax.
The Beach Tour with 2 sliding doors is classed as a MPV and you pay an additional £350/pa Road Tax as it is over £40k in price, for 5 yrs after first registration.

Be aware. The Beach Camper with 1 sliding door and pull out gas hob is classed as a Motor Caravan and pays a low Road Tax.
The Beach Tour with 2 sliding doors is classed as a MPV and you pay an additional £350/pa Road Tax as it is over £40k in price, for 5 yrs after first registration.
Good point! I think the OP was looking at the Beach Camper with the 3 seat bench option to get the hookup.

Yip good info!!! Will be the camper with three seats.

The diesel heater makes it a decent day van , irrespective of staying on a campsite on hookup overnight or not it is brilliant when you’ve been for a swim, walk in the rain stuck in the snow overnight etc to come back & be able to put the heating on and get dry & warm.

The diesel heater makes it a decent day van , irrespective of staying on a campsite on hookup overnight or not it is brilliant when you’ve been for a swim, walk in the rain stuck in the snow overnight etc to come back & be able to put the heating on and get dry & warm.
Also great in the winter for preheating the van / clearing windscreen.

Cali has no insulation in the body panels..so the camping heater is a must to get full use in all seasons.

But you have to remember that the Beach and the Ocean are completely different vehicles, suited to very different life styles. Yes, for the price of a well specced Beach, you probably could buy a new Ocean but that wouldn't be a sensible choice if it wasn't a good fit with your lifestyle. In fact, it could end up being a very expensive blunder. So to the OP, be honest by asking yourself some searching questions about how you are likely to use the vehicle in the long term. Put aside any of those "rose coloured spectacle" intentions that some owners clearly have when signing on the dotted line. I suspect that many a Cali has ended up in the For Sale section when they discovered that they hadn't thought things through.

If you do still want a Beach, you now have the added complication of which version, Camper or Tour. Only you can make that choice. However, if you decide to go for the Tour, remember that it won't have an electrical hook up point. Not a plus point if you are buying a campervan.

We are on our second T6 Beach which we purposely ordered days before T6 Beach production ended. I won't elaborate but we didn't want a T6-1. Being a long term ownership prospect, when it came to options we decided to have the van we really wanted. The previous Beach was an ex demo van. Accordingly, having a very good idea of the worth of the various options, we got busy ticking boxes. The only ones we didn't tick were:
1. Flappy paddles - had them on other vehicles and never used them.
2. Electric slider - Over complicated and can lead to expensive issues later on. Decided on the soft close option on the slider and tailgate instead. Brilliant.
3. Dynamic suspension - Don't know if this is any good but I wasn't unhappy with the standard setup.
4. That flashing blindspot thing in the mirrors - Never needed it before and I have always checked over my shoulder.
5. "Leather"/Alcantara seat coverings - There are not leather but plastic with man made Alcantara and anyway we were going to cover them with waterproof covers so not worth considering. IMO this option is a complete waste of money.

We ordered everything else and there hasn't been anything that we have felt was a waste of money either.

The top of our options list where LEDs. Having experienced the standard H4 HLs on the previous Beach, candles in jam jars would very nearly have been an improvement. The LEDs are utterly superb especially with high beam assist.

The parking heater was the next must have. It turns the van into a 365 day a year camper, day van, mobile office, beach hut etc.

We even ordered two extra captains seats. They only get used once or twice a year but are super useful when fitted. Besides, when the time comes to sell having a seven seater will add to it's sales appeal. However, they are heavy and you do need somewhere to store them when not fitted.
For number 4 blind spot assist, I think this should be a mandatory safety feature on every car. In the last few weeks I’ve found this a life saver in the following scenarios:

1) German autobahn where regularly overtaken by cars going 250km + (there’s split seconds between nothing and something, certainly no time to look over a shoulder)

2) French and Spanish roads where there’s a lot of undertaking so you’ve got both sides to keep a look out on at all times (just had that today many times!)

Yip good info!!! Will be the camper with three seats.
Best to clarify to the dealer that ‘3 seats’ means a 3-seat bench and not the 2-seat bench - with mini side cabinets and corresponding multi flex board (MFB) - and a single captain’s chair to make up the ‘third’ seat.

As it’s a Beach ‘Camper’ they may need to double (and triple) check the build codes to ensure it doesn’t arrive with some mishmash of 3-seat bench, but a 2-seat MFB, etc. This includes the MFB mounting points and compatible paneling over the rear wheel arch.

I picked up a used T6.2 Beach Camper with the standard 2-seat bench config with the plan to swap for 3-seat bench and two captains. It’s superb, but I didn’t account for the MFB mount points. Haven’t got to removing them.

For anyone else considering this route, useful info: Main bracket over the wheel arch has a bolt that’s easy enough, but haven’t had time for the silicon weld - snapped nearly all panel plastic rivet ‘clips’ around the bracket too. Haven’t had time to pull the panel to get the smaller bracket near tail gate. It’s well in there.

Best to clarify to the dealer that ‘3 seats’ means a 3-seat bench and not the 2-seat bench - with mini side cabinets and corresponding multi flex board (MFB) - and a single captain’s chair to make up the ‘third’ seat.

As it’s a Beach ‘Camper’ they may need to double (and triple) check the build codes to ensure it doesn’t arrive with some mishmash of 3-seat bench, but a 2-seat MFB, etc. This includes the MFB mounting points and compatible paneling over the rear wheel arch.

I picked up a used T6.2 Beach Camper with the standard 2-seat bench config with the plan to swap for 3-seat bench and two captains. It’s superb, but I didn’t account for the MFB mount points. Haven’t got to removing them.

For anyone else considering this route, useful info: Main bracket over the wheel arch has a bolt that’s easy enough, but haven’t had time for the silicon weld - snapped nearly all panel plastic rivet ‘clips’ around the bracket too. Haven’t had time to pull the panel to get the smaller bracket near tail gate. It’s well in there.
I have to admit, I’m confused by this post even after rereading.
If you want a Beach Camper with the 3 seat bench, check the option:
3-seater bench (movable) with reclining seat mechanism, multi-flex board with padding, 3 drawers”.
That will give you the seat and corresponding multi-flex board.

I have to admit, I’m confused by this post even after rereading.
If you want a Beach Camper with the 3 seat bench, check the option:
3-seater bench (movable) with reclining seat mechanism, multi-flex board with padding, 3 drawers”.
That will give you the seat and corresponding multi-flex board.
So sorry! Your advice is far more clear and concise.

For number 4 blind spot assist, I think this should be a mandatory safety feature on every car. In the last few weeks I’ve found this a life saver in the following scenarios:

1) German autobahn where regularly overtaken by cars going 250km + (there’s split seconds between nothing and something, certainly no time to look over a shoulder)

2) French and Spanish roads where there’s a lot of undertaking so you’ve got both sides to keep a look out on at all times (just had that today many times!)
Well we factory ordered our Beach in mid 2019. I think if I were doing it again now, I too would order the blind spot thingys. We now have that function on another car and whilst not essential, I do agree, it is a safety enhancement.

As for my other not picked options, (see items 1,2,3 and 5 in post #17), well I might now order item 1, Flappy Paddles. Not because I would ever use them but because our then 9 year old grandson was at the dealers "advising" me when we placed the order. He wanted flappy paddles but I said no. In hindsight, given the small extra cost involved I should have given him his choice.

Items 2,3 and 5 would still be a definate NO.

However, the reason we ordered when we did was because we wanted a T6 not a T6-1. T6 order books closed just days later. There were several new aspects of the T6-1 that we definitely didn't want. Whilst I won't expand, there was also a further more fundamental T6-1 flaw that only came to light after we had ordered. That flaw involved the T6-1 seating options. Both our Beaches to date have been seven seaters and if we had been tempted by the T6-1, that option now only exists on the Tour version. The "Tour" is a fine vehicle but has several disadvantages:
1. It doesn't have an EHU
2. It attracts the stratospheric VED rate of circa £600 pa for the first 6 years.
3. We don't need or want two sliders.

If ordering a repeat prescription now the nearest thing to our current van would be the "Camper" version. Why you cannot spec that with two additional captains seats I do not know. As far as I am aware, there are no structural reasons why you cannot do this. Instead, I believe it's something else, probably type approval or some such thing. However, Since we don't want a T6-1 our current van "ticks all the boxes".

Last edited:
Well we factory ordered our Beach in mid 2019. I think if I were doing it again now, I too would order the blind spot thingys. We now have that function on another car and whilst not essential, I do agree, it is a safety enhancement.

As for my other not picked options, (see items 1,2,3 and 5 in post #17), well I might now order item 1, Flappy Paddles. Not because I would ever have used them but because our then 9 year old grandson was at the dealers "advising" me when we placed the order. He wanted flappy paddles but I said no. In hindsight, given the small extra cost involved I should have given him his choice.

Items 2,3 and 5 would still be a definate NO.

However, the reason we ordered when we did was because we wanted a T6 not a T6-1. T6 order books closed just days later. There were several new aspects of the T6-1 that we definitely didn't want. Whilst I won't expand, there was also a further more fundamental T6-1 flaw that only came to light after we had ordered. That flaw involved the T6-1 seating options. Both our Beaches to date have been seven seaters and if we had been tempted by the T6-1, that option now only exists on the Tour version. The "Tour" is a fine vehicle but has several disadvantages:
2. It attracts the stratospheric VED rate of circa £600 pa for the first 6 years.

If ordering a repeat prescription now the nearest thing to our current van would be the "Camper" version. Why you cannot spec that with two additional captains seats I do not know. As far as I am aware, there are no structural reasons why you cannot do this. Instead, I believe it's something else, probably type approval or some such thing. However, Since we don't want a T6-1 our current van "ticks all the boxes".
Unfortunately, it's only possible to install the second captains seat (closest to the mini-kitchen) if the forward mini-cabinet is removed. However, this leaves the 'downstairs' bed incomplete, as that cabinet forms part of the base. Picture attached shows my seats before I replaced them with a full bench and matching captains making it basically a 'Tour,' but still with MHU and mini-kitchen, meaning it's still a motorhome :).

The £600 VED rate you mentioned for the Tour, am I right that this is because the Tour isn't technically a motorhome (bed, but no fitted kitchen?)

Both our Beaches to date have been seven seaters and if we had been tempted by the T6-1, that option now only exists on the Tour version. The "Tour" is a fine vehicle but has several disadvantages:

If ordering a repeat prescription now the nearest thing to our current van would be the "Camper" version. Why you cannot spec that with two additional captains seats I do not know. As far as I am aware, there are no structural reasons why you cannot do this. Instead, I believe it's something else, probably type approval or some such thing.

Hi, you can’t add the extra seats at point of order but surely it’s still possible to make it a seven seater at a later date I.e. buy the seats (new or used) and add them to the van whilst following the appropriate dvla and insurance processes?

I did this to make my 6.1 Camper a six seater and see no reason why I couldn’t do it again to make it a seven seater - unless I am missing something?

Unfortunately, it's only possible to install the second captains seat (closest to the mini-kitchen) if the forward mini-cabinet is removed. However, this leaves the 'downstairs' bed incomplete, as that cabinet forms part of the base. Picture attached shows my seats before I replaced them with a full bench and matching captains making it basically a 'Tour,' but still with MHU and mini-kitchen, meaning it's still a motorhome :).

The £600 VED rate you mentioned for the Tour, am I right that this is because the Tour isn't technically a motorhome (bed, but no fitted kitchen?)
Sorry, forgot to add before and after. You can see the forward mini-cabinet in the first photo.

6051410_14.jpeg

IMG_1198.jpeg

IMG_1202.jpeg

IMG_1203.jpeg