Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Options..... (Again)

roblpmedinburgh

roblpmedinburgh

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Apologies as there are threads before but I would like to ask some specific questions!

I'm gonna order Beach, standard colour, standard upholstery, standard wheels, 3 seat bench. Daily driver and van. Some camping! Will investigate cooler, sink pod and porta pottie later!

These options selected:

Rear view camera
Front and rear parking sensors
Electrically adjustable, heated, folding exterior mirrors
High beam assist
Privacy glass in passenger compartment with heat insulating glass in cab
Towbar preparation includes trailer stabilisation
LED headlamps with LED separate daytime running light
3-seater bench (movable) with reclining seat mechanism, multi-flex board with padding, 3 drawers
Climatronic 3 zone air conditioning with 2nd evaporator, auxiliary heater, air conditioned headliner and additional passenger control
Programmable parking heater with radio remote control and auxiliary heater
80 litre fuel tank
Stronger AGM battery and increased alternator capacity

What's with these options?

Privacy glass in passenger compartment with heat insulating glass in cab (any good?!)
Navigation system discover media including streaming and internet £1446!! I will just use Carplay. Screen size seems a bit small but no cheap upgrade for that?
Lots of sliding window this and that??! Do I need more slifding windowns?!
Canvas sides? What is that?
Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat? Do I need this with 3 seat?

And Maybe I should just get these packs instead of the separate options?

Trailer assist including park assist, front and rear parking sensors, rear view camera and side protection
Lights and vision pack - California (Although this doesnt really replace much but is only £342!)

Anything missing?!!

Thanks for your input!

Cheers

Rob

1 month into my beach tour purchase...

Not answering all your questions but...

The privacy glass, as with the name, does add privacy in that it is much harder to see into the van. I don't think it makes it particularly dark inside so no trade off from that perspective. There must be an amount of benefit in keeping warmth in the van when sleeping too. And then a personal preference but it does improve the overall look of the van from outside.

Navigation system i didn't opt for and no regrets so far as carplay has worked fine. The screen is big enough to have two windows running on carplay imo. The only benefit i can think of is that when starting a journey with no signal the vw system will have route guidance and carplay won't until signal found.

Sliding windows, I only optioned 1 and it is fine. I could see a benefit of adding one to the other door to offer more flexibility depending on if you have anything attached or if the wind is blowing from a different direction when you want one open, but I couldn't really see any real benefit in changing it from standard.

Canvas sides is I think going to be in reference to the roof bellows, which i think the only option is to add the opening to the front of them. I did option this and do think it does have benefits in that you can open it to add a lot more light deepening on how you are using the van, and also get nicer views when open.

Bed extension is just the mattress. If you are likely to be sleeping on the lower seats then you will need something. The mattress is contoured so levels out the bed competely. Negative is that it is very bulky to carry on the boot, some people seem to find it too hard but i have found it fine and given the choice i would take zthis option off ordering again.

Not sure whether you are ordering a two slider or one, but worth noting that the two door does not have an electric hook up plug.
Before you order, get a price from drive the deal. It will give you a target price to aim at. It’s previously been approx 8/9% off list price.

Thanks a lot folks. One slider only.

Great info. No radio upgrade. Its crazy expensive!

I will look at another sliding window.

Yes i have been pricing up through dtd! All good!

Thanks a lot folks. One slider only.

Great info. No radio upgrade. Its crazy expensive!

I will look at another sliding window.

Yes i have been pricing up through dtd! All good!
I would not bother with the second sliding window. You will get additional wind noise behind your right ear as they never seal perfectly.

If you are paying for the tow bar prep, I would go the whole hog and get the tow bar included. It’s all ready to go then if you need it :)

Yes to privacy glass. You can always tint further if you want to at a later date. For example, a ceramic solar tint will apparently keep it cooler inside as well.

Canvas - Do you want to join the MY23 bellows saga? Given what we now know (and it has been upsetting for those affected), I would strongly consider going with the standard non-opening front version.

Reversing camera - The Beach has far better rear vision than the Ocean. I have always found the sensors to work perfectly without needing a camera on a Beach. The sensor-only view is very clear on the centre screen as well.

Light and vision pack - definitely worth getting!

Not sure if the blind spot monitoring comes with any option pack on the Beach, but I think it’s great. Maybe someone can answer that one :)

I would not bother with the second sliding window. You will get additional wind noise behind your right ear as they never seal perfectly.

If you are paying for the tow bar prep, I would go the whole hog and get the tow bar included. It’s all ready to go then if you need it :)

Yes to privacy glass. You can always tint further if you want to at a later date. For example, a ceramic solar tint will apparently keep it cooler inside as well.

Canvas - Do you want to join the MY23 bellows saga? Given what we now know (and it has been upsetting for those affected), I would strongly consider going with the standard non-opening front version.

Reversing camera - The Beach has far better rear vision than the Ocean. I have always found the sensors to work perfectly without needing a camera on a Beach. The sensor-only view is very clear on the centre screen as well.

Light and vision pack - definitely worth getting!

Not sure if the blind spot monitoring comes with any option pack on the Beach, but I think it’s great. Maybe someone can answer that one :)
Ok great stuff thanks. No canvas or extra sliding window!! Will investigate the other stuff!

Just to add to everyone else and also around options - I would, personally, always max out where I can. It's good VFM when reselling, great experience using and no-one ever says I wish I had got less, just, as you can see here, people saying I'm glad I got what I got - sort of a reverse buyers remorse. I realise my justification is the same in reverse!

I maxed our Ocean and happy for it - the only two options I did not get were 4wd and towbar. Wish I had got both, but given they, in the height of covid, would have delayed the van, quite sanguine about it.

I even got the shower attachment, which has been pointless so far. But the wood floor, IMHO, is worth every penny.

The interesting point around 4WD was in hindsight the PCP was actually cheaper per month because the residual values are higher.

As mentioned in the link I sent, the larger sat nav was worth every penny, especially as it came with a pack that included other extras anyway, so was quite cost effective really.

Last edited:
I’ve had 4 new Beaches, my 2p’s worth:

I would spec the front opening bellows again. Nice to sit up top and look out when it’s open. Don’t forget, the roof does not have plastic windows, only mesh openings, so is a bit claustrophobic. The Panoramic roof makes a massive difference.

I would 100% have a rear camera. Far better than sensors for seeing how close you are to the car behind when parking.

I would definitely get the Comfort Mattress, the 3 seat bench is not very flat without it. The VW option does flatten this out but it’s certainly not perfect.

I would add Heated Seats, also hate the blank buttons on the dash.

Add the front fogs, again, blanking panels on bumper without them.

And call @Tomdbreeze at Breeze Poole, he may even better DTD!

Last edited:
Privacy glass in passenger compartment with heat insulating glass in cab (any good?!)
Navigation system discover media including streaming and internet £1446!! I will just use Carplay. Screen size seems a bit small but no cheap upgrade for that?
You've ticked some good options - the heater, 3-zone climate and LED headlights will all transform your experience, and help your re-sale - but I don't see the need for the AGM starter battery, and I'd save your money on it. Isn't it only useful in extreme cold?

Get the whole towbar, particularly if you'll be transporting bicycles. Expensive option to go half way, you get nothing for that really - some towbar fitters wont even utilise it.

- Privacy glass is perfect for me, just the right level of tint to allow you to see out, and restrict visibility in. I would tick that box and doubt you'll feel the need for further after-market tint.
- I've got the media pro and love the big screen, but it was much cheaper on a Ocean. Carplay works a treat, so save your money.
- Having 2 sliding windows is helpful depending on wind/rain, and I don't recognise the noisy comment above. Perhaps they've sorted it. Given you'll be dailying it, I'd have them for rear passengers on the move too - my dog likes having the sliding door one open to terrorise pedestrians.
- I would get the front opening canvas, I really appreciate being able to open up on a sunny day, and have a panoramic view when waking upstairs or sitting on the bench. Worth it.
- The comfort mattress isn't comfortable but does level the seat ready for your Duvalay which I'd highly recommend.

I would add the sliding window. It makes the van look more symmetrical and allows better ventilation options when parked up. It should be standard IMO (it is on the Ocean and perhaps now too the Coast).

It depends on how much night driving you plan to do, but I wouldn’t prioritise high beam assist. I like to remain alert when driving at night and not having this option potentially helps.

Just to add to everyone else and also around options - I would, personally, always max out where I can.
I would agree with this, plus remember you get the DtD discount on the options as well. It obviously all comes down to budget.
The only point I would say with the Beach is if you max it out with the options you may be pitching into Ocean territory, but on the other hand a highly specced T6.1 Beach will be a very rare and surely desirable vehicle in years to come.

I’ve had 4 new Beaches, my 2p’s worth:

I would spec the front opening bellows again. Nice to sit up top and look out when it’s open. Don’t forget, the roof does not have plastic windows, only mesh openings, so is a bit claustrophobic. The Panoramic roof makes a massive difference.
+1 for bellows opening. We open ours in the morning (to the mesh) when having breakfast. Lets the light in and a bit of fresh air.

+1 for bellows opening. We open ours in the morning (to the mesh) when having breakfast. Lets the light in and a bit of fresh air.
I would like to add that my original comment regarding the bellows was in the context of the current issues with the MY23 version when I suggested considering the non-opening standard bellows. Under normal circumstances I would wholeheartedly agree with the opening bellows option :thumb
… so yes I agree with you :)

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone has ever said don’t go for the comfort mattress on a 3 seater beach - it’s almost essential to give a flat seating surface. All the comments re it being uncomfortable have been with regard to the 2 seater version.

I would always go for a sliding window on both sides - gives you options depending which way the wind is blowing, ventilation for rear passengers and an easy way for a rear seat occupant to pass beer to the chap doing the bbq with the door shut.

I don’t think anyone has ever said don’t go for the comfort mattress on a 3 seater beach - it’s almost essential to give a flat seating surface.
+1 for comfort mattress in a 3-seat Beach - we’ve slept on it a lot and just done 3 weeks sleeping on it and I would say it’s super comfortable and very flat and you have to really concentrate to feel any of the underlying seat shape. My wife has insisted on us using a duvet as a mattress topper which I think does nothing but she says helps her to not wake up with a bad back.

I would always go for a sliding window on both sides
+1 for sliding windows both sides. Imagine buying a new car with a non-opening rear window on one side.

Also - I think the media upgrade in the Beach is still from Composition Colour to Discover Media. Media Pro is not an option in a Beach. For me Discover Media was an expensive but essential upgrade:
- Wireless CarPlay not available on standard Conposition Colour
- WeConnect services not available on Composition Colour
- from memory (and this may be wrong) the Composition Colour screen was kind of recessed in the dash and looks like it belongs in an older generation of Cali

IMG_4604.png

Last edited:
I would agree with this, plus remember you get the DtD discount on the options as well. It obviously all comes down to budget.
The only point I would say with the Beach is if you max it out with the options you may be pitching into Ocean territory, but on the other hand a highly specced T6.1 Beach will be a very rare and surely desirable vehicle in years to come.
But you have to remember that the Beach and the Ocean are completely different vehicles, suited to very different life styles. Yes, for the price of a well specced Beach, you probably could buy a new Ocean but that wouldn't be a sensible choice if it wasn't a good fit with your lifestyle. In fact, it could end up being a very expensive blunder. So to the OP, be honest by asking yourself some searching questions about how you are likely to use the vehicle in the long term. Put aside any of those "rose coloured spectacle" intentions that some owners clearly have when signing on the dotted line. I suspect that many a Cali has ended up in the For Sale section when they discovered that they hadn't thought things through.

If you do still want a Beach, you now have the added complication of which version, Camper or Tour. Only you can make that choice. However, if you decide to go for the Tour, remember that it won't have an electrical hook up point. Not a plus point if you are buying a campervan.

We are on our second T6 Beach which we purposely ordered days before T6 Beach production ended. I won't elaborate but we didn't want a T6-1. Being a long term ownership prospect, when it came to options we decided to have the van we really wanted. The previous Beach was an ex demo van. Accordingly, having a very good idea of the worth of the various options, we got busy ticking boxes. The only ones we didn't tick were:
1. Flappy paddles - had them on other vehicles and never used them.
2. Electric slider - Over complicated and can lead to expensive issues later on. Decided on the soft close option on the slider and tailgate instead. Brilliant.
3. Dynamic suspension - Don't know if this is any good but I wasn't unhappy with the standard setup.
4. That flashing blindspot thing in the mirrors - Never needed it before and I have always checked over my shoulder.
5. "Leather"/Alcantara seat coverings - There are not leather but plastic with man made Alcantara and anyway we were going to cover them with waterproof covers so not worth considering. IMO this option is a complete waste of money.

We ordered everything else and there hasn't been anything that we have felt was a waste of money either.

The top of our options list where LEDs. Having experienced the standard H4 HLs on the previous Beach, candles in jam jars would very nearly have been an improvement. The LEDs are utterly superb especially with high beam assist.

The parking heater was the next must have. It turns the van into a 365 day a year camper, day van, mobile office, beach hut etc.

We even ordered two extra captains seats. They only get used once or twice a year but are super useful when fitted. Besides, when the time comes to sell having a seven seater will add to it's sales appeal. However, they are heavy and you do need somewhere to store them when not fitted.

Last edited:
However, if you decide to go for the Tour, remember that it won't have an electrical hook up point. Not a plus point if you are buying a campervan.
You can get a retrofitted electric hookup for about £300 fully installed, advantage is that you can have it mounted under the bonnet & avoid an unsightly plastic flap on the side of the van and keep a nice clean look on the body panels; You can then also have an additional 240v socket in the boot of the van which comes in handy if you sit a fridge under the MFB on a sliding boot tray.

Thanks for
But you have to remember that the Beach and the Ocean are completely different vehicles, suited to very different life styles. Yes, for the price of a well specced Beach, you probably could buy a new Ocean but that wouldn't be a sensible choice if it wasn't a good fit with your lifestyle. In fact, it could end up being a very expensive blunder. So to the OP, be honest by asking yourself some searching questions about how you are likely to use the vehicle in the long term. Put aside any of those "rose coloured spectacle" intentions that some owners clearly have when signing on the dotted line. I suspect that many a Cali has ended up in the For Sale section when they discovered that they hadn't thought things through.

If you do still want a Beach, you now have the added complication of which version, Camper or Tour. Only you can make that choice. However, if you decide to go for the Tour, remember that it won't have an electrical hook up point. Not a plus point if you are buying a campervan.

We are on our second T6 Beach which we purposely ordered days before T6 Beach production ended. I won't elaborate but we didn't want a T6-1. Being a long term ownership prospect, when it came to options we decided to have the van we really wanted. The previous Beach was an ex demo van. Accordingly, having a very good idea of the worth of the various options, we got busy ticking boxes. The only ones we didn't tick were:
1. Flappy paddles - had them on other vehicles and never used them.
2. Electric slider - Over complicated and can lead to expensive issues later on. Decided on the soft close option on the slider and tailgate instead. Brilliant.
3. Dynamic suspension - Don't know if this is any good but I wasn't unhappy with the standard setup.
4. That flashing blindspot thing in the mirrors - Never needed it before and I have always checked over my shoulder.

We ordered everything else and there hasn't been anything that we have felt was a waste of money either.

The top of our options list where LEDs. Having experienced the standard H4 HLs on the previous Beach, candles in jam jars would very nearly have been an improvement. The LEDs are utterly superb especially with high beam assist.

The parking heater was the next must have. It turns the van into a 365 day a year camper, day van, mobile office, beach hut etc.

We even ordered two extra captains seats. They only get used once or twice a year but are super useful when fitted. Besides, when the time comes to sell having a seven seater will add to its sales appeal. However, they are heavy and you do need somewhere to store them when not fitted.m
Thanks for your reply.

I am pretty clear why I want to have a beach. I did own a massive fantastic Hymer before!

Needs to be a van for various reasons…..

Needs to be a daily driver. I actually hardly drive at all so it’s not really important how it drives.

And then needs to be an occasional camper. Say 5 nights a month. But not long trips.

So I totally agree with your ideas. Needs to be a day van, camper etc.

Thanks for

Thanks for your reply.

I am pretty clear why I want to have a beach. I did own a massive fantastic Hymer before!

Needs to be a van for various reasons…..

Needs to be a daily driver. I actually hardly drive at all so it’s not really important how it drives.

And then needs to be an occasional camper. Say 5 nights a month. But not long trips.

So I totally agree with your ideas. Needs to be a day van, camper etc.
They drive very well indeed. Being based on a van, the ride is at its best when well loaded.

but I don't see the need for the AGM starter battery, and I'd save your money on it. Isn't it only useful in extreme cold?

Get the whole towbar, particularly if you'll be transporting bicycles. Expensive option to go half way, you get nothing for that really - some towbar fitters wont even utilise it.
California Chris says the AGM battery is most appropriate for frequent starts. If you use the stop/start feature I can see an advantage for the AGM upgrade as every time the engine starts, the engine battery is taking a hit.

Definitely get the full tow bar. I chose the option not having a specific plan to use it at the time of ordering. Now I am looking to install a bike rack and the towbar gives me that option.

The one option I wish I had spec'ed was double glazing, for sound isolation and reduced condensation.

Apologies as there are threads before but I would like to ask some specific questions!

I'm gonna order Beach, standard colour, standard upholstery, standard wheels, 3 seat bench. Daily driver and van. Some camping! Will investigate cooler, sink pod and porta pottie later!

These options selected:

Rear view camera
High beam assist
3-seater bench (movable) with reclining seat mechanism, multi-flex board with padding, 3 drawers
Climatronic 3 zone air conditioning with 2nd evaporator, auxiliary heater, air conditioned headliner and additional passenger control
80 litre fuel tank

Trailer assist including park assist, front and rear parking sensors, rear view camera and side protection
Lights and vision pack - California (Although this doesnt really replace much but is only £342!)

Anything missing?!!

Thanks for your input!

Cheers

Rob
Should have asked, how many of you will be regularly using it on a day to day basis or whilst camping?

The Beach is fantastic, especially if there are 5 of you but the Beach is NOT the best value for money once you add a lot of options.

Once you add the options, it comes out very close to an Ocean which has most of the options included and then a few more that are not available on the Beach. Admittedly you may not want them but they are nice to have.

Extra Chrome bars on Grille
A pillar internal front blind
Electric Roof
Dash trims
Digital Dash
Electric soft close to sliding door

Probably a few other bits that I can’t recall.

The Beach is great but certainly not the best value for money!

These options selected:

Rear view camera
High beam assist
80 litre fuel tank

Anything missing?!!

Thanks for your input!

Cheers

Rob
Generally looks good, quick answer to the extra sliding window, one benefit is you can get good airflow when sleeping at night

Should have asked, how many of you will be regularly using it on a day to day basis or whilst camping?

The Beach is fantastic, especially if there are 5 of you but the Beach is NOT the best value for money once you add a lot of options.

Once you add the options, it comes out very close to an Ocean which has most of the options included and then a few more that are not available on the Beach. Admittedly you may not want them but they are nice to have.

Extra Chrome bars on Grille
A pillar internal front blind
Electric Roof
Dash trims
Digital Dash
Electric soft close to sliding door

Probably a few other bits that I can’t recall.

The Beach is great but certainly not the best value for money!
Hmmm I will price up an ocean! I don’t really want all the fixed kitchen and cupboards though!