Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Options..... (Again)

Hi, you can’t add the extra seats at point of order but surely it’s still possible to make it a seven seater at a later date I.e. buy the seats (new or used) and add them to the van whilst following the appropriate dvla and insurance processes?

I did this to make my 6.1 Camper a six seater and see no reason why I couldn’t do it again to make it a seven seater - unless I am missing something?
Exactly what I did. Pics added to my earlier reply to @Borris .

Unfortunately, it's only possible to install the second captains seat (closest to the mini-kitchen) if the forward mini-cabinet is removed. However, this leaves the 'downstairs' bed incomplete, as that cabinet forms part of the base. Picture attached shows my seats before I replaced them with a full bench and matching captains making it basically a 'Tour,' but still with MHU and mini-kitchen, meaning it's still a motorhome :).

The £600 VED rate you mentioned for the Tour, am I right that this is because the Tour isn't technically a motorhome (bed, but no fitted kitchen?)
Forward mini cabinet? Do you have a two or three seat rear bench?

Re the VED, yes probably. Annoyingly, our two seven seater beaches had roughly the same spec with both being seven seater models.
The 2016 Beach had a relatively low VED rate. The almost identical 2019 model has VED and luxury car tax levied together at the circa £600 rate for the first six years. Bummer!

Hi, you can’t add the extra seats at point of order but surely it’s still possible to make it a seven seater at a later date I.e. buy the seats (new or used) and add them to the van whilst following the appropriate dvla and insurance processes?

I did this to make my 6.1 Camper a six seater and see no reason why I couldn’t do it again to make it a seven seater - unless I am missing something?
Why can you not order it like that in the first then?

Why can you not order it like that in the first then?
That’s a good question!! It may be due to how the vehicle is registered in terms of seating capacity. My T6 Beach (2-seat bench) is registered as a seven seater, so maybe the 6.1 Beach Camper is only registered as a five seater. It could be a stipulation for achieving the motorhome classification.
Maybe a current T6.1 Beach Camper owner could answer by referring to their V5 document.

In terms of the VED, there is an additional £390 per year (for five years) due on the Tour from the second time it is taxed. After that time it drops down to the standard car rate. I haven’t worked it out, but if owned from new I reckon the break even point is likely about 15 years between the Tour and Camper in terms of VED.

That’s a good question!! It may be due to how the vehicle is registered in terms of seating capacity. My T6 Beach (2-seat bench) is registered as a seven seater, so maybe the 6.1 Beach Camper is only registered as a five seater. It could be a stipulation for achieving the motorhome classification.
Maybe a current T6.1 Beach Camper owner could answer by referring to their V5 document.

In terms of the VED, there is an additional £390 per year (for five years) due on the Tour from the second time it is taxed. After that time it drops down to the standard car rate. I haven’t worked it out, but if owned from new I reckon the break even point is likely about 15 years between the Tour and Camper in terms of VED.
I have always suspected that there was no reason why a second captain's seat couldn't be fitted. However, who wants or needs the hassle of writing to the DVLA and ones insurance company when previously you could order a seven seater.

For VED purposes, the only distinction between a Beach Camper and our T6 Beach is that pull out stove. I also have a pull out stove on the pull out boot tray! Apparently, that means that I must be punished with extra tax. But hey ho, it's only money

Now I am having a panic.....! Just went into a VW place in Glasgow. He reckons orders maybe finished at the end of the month. I have a work thing that may or may not come off that is due in about a month.....!

What happens if you order and cancel? How much is the deposit? Is my dream of a high spec Beach 6.1 over.....?!

Aha should have said order with DTD
Now I am having a panic.....! Just went into a VW place in Glasgow. He reckons orders maybe finished at the end of the month. I have a work thing that may or may not come off that is due in about a month.....!

What happens if you order and cancel? How much is the deposit? Is my dream of a high spec Beach 6.1 over.....?!
aha should have said order with DTD

Nothing like creating a sense of panic to help you make up your mind :)
I remember Cali Chris saying he expected orders to end at the beginning of May!

I would doubt the dealer knows when the cut off for orders will be. When orders for the T6.1 vans ceased it was pretty swift and I don’t recall dealers getting any notice.

If you want to order a high spec Beach it may be prudent to get the order in. Deposit should be in the order of £1000. A high spec Beach should be a desirable vehicle, so even if you decided not keep it, there may be little financial downside (if any).

I believe current lead times are between 3-4 months. If the current lead times are maintained, the order book could remain open until next year, but I am speculating, the same as everyone else :)

Forward mini cabinet? Do you have a two or three seat rear bench?

Re the VED, yes probably. Annoyingly, our two seven seater beaches had roughly the same spec with both being seven seater models.
The 2016 Beach had a relatively low VED rate. The almost identical 2019 model has VED and luxury car tax levied together at the circa £600 rate for the first six years. Bummer!
Had/Replaced a two seat rear bench with mini cabinets (pictured) with a three seat rear bench and two captains (pictured).

The forward mini cabinet is visible in the first picture, between the two seat bench and the pop out mini kitchen. It takes up the space where a second captains seat would go. The 'rear' mini cabinet is situated from near the backrest to the tailgate. Both cabinets are bolted down to the floor rail for easy removal (unlike full-height fitted cabinets).

6051410_14.jpeg

IMG_1198.jpeg

IMG_1202.jpeg

IMG_1203.jpeg

Ah yes, but in 2 years time you will be able to gloat at the Ocean and Beach camper owners who pay £325, while you’ll only be paying £180 :thumb. Of course it will take 12 years of ownership to actually be in profit compared to the motorhome VED rate :(

Well thanks for everyone’s inputs.

Just ordered a Beach 3 seat with a lot of options!!!! Swansway in Preston just slightly more expensive than Dtd etc but very helpful so far.

The only thing I may have got wrong is the colour! The free grey. Not really an inspiring colour choice. The red metallic is nice but I’m not really a red kind of person!!!!

Delivery February as I am abroad December and January and have requested that.

Now I need a toilet and I think the van way table for working in it by the Beach!! I think I will sleep in the top in a sleeping bag when I am on my own.

Well thanks for everyone’s inputs.

Just ordered a Beach 3 seat with a lot of options!!!! Swansway in Preston just slightly more expensive than Dtd etc but very helpful so far.

The only thing I may have got wrong is the colour! The free grey. Not really an inspiring colour choice. The red metallic is nice but I’m not really a red kind of person!!!!

Delivery February as I am abroad December and January and have requested that.

Now I need a toilet and I think the van way table for working in it by the Beach!! I think I will sleep in the top in a sleeping bag when I am on my own.
Grey is a great colour, handles scratches from hedges / brambles well and looks good even when dirty. Also an easier colour to sell.

Grey is a great colour, handles scratches from hedges / brambles well and looks good even when dirty. Also an easier colour to sell.

Thanks a lot! I hope you are right and not just trying to be nice!!!!