Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All season tyres novice

M

MJG

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Sorry if this has been asked lots of times before, but I’m a complete novice with this and I’ve searched the forums for answers and can’t find them.

I’m looking to swap the factory fitted tyres on our 6.1 Coast 150 with all season tyres and I’m looking at Michelin Agilis tyres. My current tyres are 215/65 R16 C 106/104T. When I’ve put my registration number into Blackcircles, its coming up with Michelin Agilis Crossclimate 215/65 R16 T (109) tyres. Are these suitable for my van – guessing so because they are the same size and just have a higher load rating, but want to check before spending the money on them.

Secondly, if I’m putting all season tyres onto my van, do I need to change the tyre on the spare wheel as well (so buy 5 tyres instead of 4)? If I needed to change a tyre in bad weather and had 3 cross climates and one summer tyre, how would this affect the drive of the van?

Thirdly, what does everyone do with the factory fitted tyres? Do you keep them for spares, sell them or scrap them? They’ve only done 1,000 miles so they’re practically new and would seem like a waste to scrap them.

And finally, I’m aiming to go through Switzerland in April, South of France in June, and Nordkapp in July/August. Has anyone used these Michelin tyres in these scenarios/ temperatures and how did they perform? How do they handle in rain and snow?

Thanks in advance for any help.

just fitted the 17" version of these a few months ago and very happy both dry and wet performance. I was expecting a harsher ride with the higher load rating but think they run better than the 18s I had from the factory. I am running around in snow locally and up into the ski resorts and very happy with performance. perfectly capable tyre for these conditions. Good thing is this size allows easy chain fitment but I haven't needed them yet. For summer running I can only say that they were great wet and dry when the weather was still in the low 20s.

The spare issue is going to be down to you. I personally have 5 tyres the same but this is because I didn't have a spare fitted. The Agilis is a directional tyre so you would have a 50/50 tyre that will be in the right direction so you will be fine with the spare you have assuming it is new from the factory, others may have other opinions!

Best bet is to try and sell the old tyres, maybe a tyre shop will buy them as part worn, or at least they will take them off you free of charge.

Reactions: MJG
Sorry if this has been asked lots of times before, but I’m a complete novice with this and I’ve searched the forums for answers and can’t find them.

I’m looking to swap the factory fitted tyres on our 6.1 Coast 150 with all season tyres and I’m looking at Michelin Agilis tyres. My current tyres are 215/65 R16 C 106/104T. When I’ve put my registration number into Blackcircles, its coming up with Michelin Agilis Crossclimate 215/65 R16 T (109) tyres. Are these suitable for my van – guessing so because they are the same size and just have a higher load rating, but want to check before spending the money on them.

Secondly, if I’m putting all season tyres onto my van, do I need to change the tyre on the spare wheel as well (so buy 5 tyres instead of 4)? If I needed to change a tyre in bad weather and had 3 cross climates and one summer tyre, how would this affect the drive of the van?

Thirdly, what does everyone do with the factory fitted tyres? Do you keep them for spares, sell them or scrap them? They’ve only done 1,000 miles so they’re practically new and would seem like a waste to scrap them.

And finally, I’m aiming to go through Switzerland in April, South of France in June, and Nordkapp in July/August. Has anyone used these Michelin tyres in these scenarios/ temperatures and how did they perform? How do they handle in rain and snow?

If you upgrade to vip you can advertise them on here for free, if not then eBay you should get £100/200 (16” don’t get as much as 17” though)

The spare issue is going to be down to you. I personally have 5 tyres the same but this is because I didn't have a spare fitted. The Agilis is a directional tyre so you would have a 50/50 tyre that will be in the right direction so you will be fine with the spare you have assuming it is new from the factory, others may have other opinions!
My van was specced from the factory with a directional all season spare. This was flagged up at an MOT from a main dealer as requiring attention....I said that VW supplied it like that.....

My van was specced from the factory with a directional all season spare. This was flagged up at an MOT from a main dealer as requiring attention....I said that VW supplied it like that.....
Hard to find a non-directional tyre these days. But if you found one and put it on your spare wheel then you'd have a mis-matched axle every time you put in the spare... rather than only a 50% probability if your spare is directional.

(As long as I have a spare wheel to get me home or to the nearest tyre fitters, I'm not that bothered what it has on it TBH.)

I have Agilis 215 65 16 on my van. Very happy with them.

Seems that there is a 106 load available ion that size.
There are some for a spare, a few, non directional options possible. Kumho & Hankook.

Use any type/make of tyre as a spare as a Get You Home spare. Limited speed and limited distance, just as you would a Space Saver wheel/tyre.

If you look on the drivers B pillar with door open there is a sticker with the various tyre sizes that will fit your vehicle.

I have traveled extensively in Scandinavia in May. You’ll be absolutely fine with those tyres. South of France, no problem. Switzerland in April- all the roads will be clear except possibly high altitude tracks and if you are travelling those then the tyres will be more than adequate under most circumstances.

I have Agilis Cross Climate 215 65 16C 107-109T. I've used them on a mountain pass at 2000m with fresh snow and ice at -10C, and didn't need chains. I love them.

Last edited:
For a non directional spare you could use the van Vredestien All Season/Weather tyre
This tyre could also be fitted to the road wheels saving directional issues.

I had wondered about those generally, as I have a good overall opinion of Vredestein (I use Vred winters on a rally car as an all-year-round multi-surface tyre). Having a proper van tyre on a Cali makes a lot of sense to me, as I want to minimise chances of damage while on a trip. They are however quite expensive and less easy to get hold of in all sizes in the UK.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all your replies and help. Think I chose the right ones for us.

The replies in this thread have got me thinking because I’ve got a Cali on order with all season tyres option and if they are directional, meaning the spare is directional too, then I’m wondering whether to change the spec to delete the spare wheel and have a repair kit and inflator instead. Would save weight and would remove the worry of theft or buying a spare wheel lock. A directional spare would be a “get you home” option, but I usually call the breakdown service and let the professionals do the job safely at roadside and put their emergency spare on to get me to a tyre centre to repair or replace to get back to correct tyre set up, which you’d have to do too. Any reasons why this wouldn’t be a good idea to delete the spare wheel ? Obviously I’m U.K. based and so I don’t know if the European breakdown services do the same.

Punctures always happen at the most inconvenient time. No spare could lead to hours lost.

The replies in this thread have got me thinking because I’ve got a Cali on order with all season tyres option and if they are directional, meaning the spare is directional too, then I’m wondering whether to change the spec to delete the spare wheel and have a repair kit and inflator instead. Would save weight and would remove the worry of theft or buying a spare wheel lock. A directional spare would be a “get you home” option, but I usually call the breakdown service and let the professionals do the job safely at roadside and put their emergency spare on to get me to a tyre centre to repair or replace to get back to correct tyre set up, which you’d have to do too. Any reasons why this wouldn’t be a good idea to delete the spare wheel ? Obviously I’m U.K. based and so I don’t know if the European breakdown services do the same.
I feel you are overthinking this. Direction matters in severe wet conditions when the pattern disperses water. If it’s a puncture on a front tyre in wet conditions, can always swap the directional rear to front and use the spare on the rear. The inflator is only good for something like a nail, won’t repair a hole in the sidewall from a kerb.

I would rather have a directional fitted wrongly to keep me going then needing a recovery truck to get me off the motorway to a tyre repair centre where the chances of a matching tyre are possibly slim.

In my opinion, not a good idea. Would rather have any type of spare than a repair kit.

I am not far off needing a full set of tyres and considering going back to using summer tyres all year round as from what I can tell all season only offer an advantage over summer tyres at temp less than about 7c, which in the southwest UK is a tiny proportion of the year and in snow which is virtually non existent. For the rest of the year my current choice of all season tyres mean I'm driving round with compromised wet grip - and there's plenty of wet all year round!

I am not far off needing a full set of tyres and considering going back to using summer tyres all year round as from what I can tell all season only offer an advantage over summer tyres at temp less than about 7c, which in the southwest UK is a tiny proportion of the year and in snow which is virtually non existent. For the rest of the year my current choice of all season tyres mean I'm driving round with compromised wet grip - and there's plenty of wet all year round!
I found that All Season tyres deal with torrential (global warming) summer showers with no drama. Only possible negative being that the V pattern sends the spray outwards and makes the Cali sides dirtier.;)

From what I can glean Summer tyres are designed to get the rolling resistance as low as possible in order for Manufacturers to produce low emission figures for their vehicles.
Any figures from T6.1's who have standard 215 tyres and those with 235 All Season ones available (Factory Fit) although they do quote low rolling resistance All Season being available.

No !! Keep the spare.
17’s on All Seasons with a spare is perfect

I found that All Season tyres deal with torrential (global warming) summer showers with no drama. Only possible negative being that the V pattern sends the spray outwards and makes the Cali sides dirtier.;)

From what I can glean Summer tyres are designed to get the rolling resistance as low as possible in order for Manufacturers to produce low emission figures for their vehicles.
Any figures from T6.1's who have standard 215 tyres and those with 235 All Season ones available (Factory Fit) although they do quote low rolling resistance All Season being available.

I haven’t had any issues with my all seasons just noticed when looking at options that they seem to max out at a B rating for wet grip whereas lots of summer tyres are A rated.
The only explanation I found is that the v pattern is less effective at preventing aquaplaning than the summer pattern where the channel goes in a straight line round the tyre.

Nothing at all wrong with that logic of course, however to my mind the most likely time when I really 'need' good grip and traction will be in slippery winter conditions. As I'm not exactly trying maximise lap times in my converted builder's van, optimising grip in summer (dry or wet) is less important to me, provided warm/wet stopping distances are at least reasonable as they appear to be with most all-seasons tyres.

(Of course if someone is doing only very small mileages during the winter months, then keeping summer tyres on all year round may still make sense. Our van however gets all-year round use including quite a bit of towing a big trailer.)

I haven’t had any issues with my all seasons just noticed when looking at options that they seem to max out at a B rating for wet grip whereas lots of summer tyres are A rated.
The only explanation I found is that the v pattern is less effective at preventing aquaplaning than the summer pattern where the channel goes in a straight line round the tyre.
In the UK with its relatively moderate temperatures it's hard to proove any advantage between Summer & All Season (AS) tyres for road use,
Real advantage of the AS tyres are when Cali's go into wet or muddy grass areas, The few snow conditions that most encounter will favour AS tyres but as my 4M Cali went, where cars had to give up, when still on Summer tyres even that is debatable.

Having had both types on my Cali I prefer to stick with the AS tyre for the odd times that I'd get stuck, or more importantly, get into trouble for chewing up a sites grass getting out. Nothing more than a bit of foot tapping to hide any evidence of getting out of soft grassy area needed unlike others who left ruts.

In the UK with its relatively moderate temperatures it's hard to proove any advantage between Summer & All Season (AS) tyres for road use,
Real advantage of the AS tyres are when Cali's go into wet or muddy grass areas, The few snow conditions that most encounter will favour AS tyres but as my 4M Cali went, where cars had to give up, when still on Summer tyres even that is debatable.

Having had both types on my Cali I prefer to stick with the AS tyre for the odd times that I'd get stuck, or more importantly, get into trouble for chewing up a sites grass getting out. Nothing more than a bit of foot tapping to hide any evidence of getting out of soft grassy area needed unlike others who left ruts.
Pretty broad assumption on uk having moderate temperatures. Might be ok down your way but up here I reckon that the tyres would be better 6 months of the year. I am currently using all season tyres on my car but have previously swapped winters and summers. See how these work out but they seem pretty good so far in the frost and snow.
I have ordered our van with the all season tyres - as you say - better for the times you need it.

I feel you are overthinking this. Direction matters in severe wet conditions when the pattern disperses water. If it’s a puncture on a front tyre in wet conditions, can always swap the directional rear to front and use the spare on the rear. The inflator is only good for something like a nail, won’t repair a hole in the sidewall from a kerb.

I would rather have a directional fitted wrongly to keep me going then needing a recovery truck to get me off the motorway to a tyre repair centre where the chances of a matching tyre are possibly slim.
Good points. I still wouldn’t want to replace a tyre myself on a smart motorway though.

Pretty broad assumption on uk having moderate temperatures. Might be ok down your way but up here I reckon that the tyres would be better 6 months of the year. I am currently using all season tyres on my car but have previously swapped winters and summers. See how these work out but they seem pretty good so far in the frost and snow.
I have ordered our van with the all season tyres - as you say - better for the times you need it.
That was what sticks in my mind from School days, actually The Gordon Schools, Huntly. All to do with the Gulf Stream.

I am an All Season advocate.

Back