Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All Season Tyre Suggestion - Michelin CrossClimate +

G

gatvol

We just got four on our Cali via blackcircles, will report back when the weather turns!

Been used on snow/ice yet?
Yes on the ice, she leaves for work very early and we have had a few icy ones with all the rain recently. She feels more confident around the lanes since we put them on.
I also noticed they are much better in the wet than the Dunlop sports the came on it new.

had 4 fitted 2 weeks ago, now 500 miles in and can confirm a massive improvement over the Dunlop’s especially in confidence in this wet weather.

Just had a new set fitted for a customer who is off for a month long tour around Europe, Snowboarding in every available country I think! They are very expensive but a legal requirement with the white stuff abroad. Will report back on how it gets on.

I had them on a Fiat 500 and they were great in all conditions, also noticeably quieter than Pirelli tyres that were previously fitted.

I have these on my California, quiet and excellent in the wet as others have said but I did not find them as good in snow as my Nokian winter tyres, I still choose to fit them when winter arrives.

We have Cross Climates fitted on both cars, excellent. When our T6.1 arrives in a few weeks I will probably fit Cross Climates immediately. Superb.

We live in the south east, no doubt if we lived in the Lakes or Scotland I would fit winter tyres.

I have fitted 195/65R/15 crossclimate on my Renault Kangoo buildersvan and happy with them so far for about 8000km. No snow here so can't say if they are good in snow .

I have been visiting Sweden every year for over 15yrs. Usually I hire a car and drive from Oslo 3hrs north into Sweden to visit family. It’s law in Sweden to have winter tyres and that law now includes visitors, therefore all hire cars are fitted with winter tyres and i know first hand the difference they make. This year I have driven from uk in my other car fitted with cross climates and I can highly recommend these tyres.

1853F2D0-7FE2-4E36-947E-EA5D3B74FF98.jpeg

EB324B38-AE19-4F79-AAD1-3CBB6A158DC8.jpeg

E52D55DA-6CA9-443B-941D-35BE3C0941BE.jpeg

I have these on my estate car and my California and think they are superb. I first bought a set after Honest John recommended them ...

Useful video of them in action here ...

Discussion about which all season tyres to choose ...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/7-of-the-best-all-season-tyres-for-2018.htm

View attachment 53590
I fitted a pair of these to my front wheels a couple of years ago, and I must say they're really overrated
The rubber is so soft, only lasted 10K miles, for average mild UK winters, not entirely necessary, despite decent grip in the rain.
If you are going to purchase, make sure you buy "Agilis" Cross Climate as they're designed for a transporter/California
I've now fitted "Goodyear Marathon Cargo" tyres at a fraction of the Cross Climate tyres price - now after 10K miles, they have no great sign of wear!

I fitted a pair of these to my front wheels a couple of years ago, and I must say they're really overrated
The rubber is so soft, only lasted 10K miles, for average mild UK winters, not entirely necessary, despite decent grip in the rain.
If you are going to purchase, make sure you buy "Agilis" Cross Climate as they're designed for a transporter/California
I've now fitted "Goodyear Marathon Cargo" tyres at a fraction of the Cross Climate tyres price - now after 10K miles, they have no great sign of wear!
I believe the reason the rubber is soft is to improve grip in icy conditions. That’s why in Norway (etc.) you drive on winter tyres in the winter and switch to harder summer tyres in the summer, so you don’t wear out the rubber - else you’d use winter tyres all year and not need the faff of changing...
I don’t know the performance of the Goodyear tyres, but I’d be curious to see a comparison of them against the Michellin ones in winter conditions.

I believe the reason the rubber is soft is to improve grip in icy conditions. That’s why in Norway (etc.) you drive on winter tyres in the winter and switch to harder summer tyres in the summer, so you don’t wear out the rubber - else you’d use winter tyres all year and not need the faff of changing...
I don’t know the performance of the Goodyear tyres, but I’d be curious to see a comparison of them against the Michellin ones in winter conditions.
I suspect the Michelin “Cross Climate” are designed as an all weather tyre, their name is the clue! - but they’re not really an all weather tyre as suggested in the Michelin marketing
If I was living in Norway I’d have to fit winter tyres (as in many other European countries) for the snowy winter conditions and would have a different set for summer use
In the 10K miles I had my cross climates fitted (just under a year), I probably only experienced two weeks of snowy conditions

I suspect the Michelin “Cross Climate” are designed as an all weather tyre, their name is the clue! - but they’re not really an all weather tyre as suggested in the Michelin marketing
If I was living in Norway I’d have to fit winter tyres (as in many other European countries) for the snowy winter conditions and would have a different set for summer use
In the 10K miles I had my cross climates fitted (just under a year), I probably only experienced two weeks of snowy conditions
It would also depend on where you drive. I managed with all season tyres on a Free Lander for many years in Stavanger - but wasn’t driving in the mountains. Although the winding road up to my house was sheet ice for 3 months the last winter. They grit rather than ice and it was all fine.

Came around 6,5 mm as a new. 4-5mm after 10k km (1season), so barely legal in winter with 4mm min requirement. Decent on snow but not impressed compared to proper winter tyres. Don't think I will go for them again.

Well my last set of Michelin Cross Climate SUV were changed recently when the reached just under 4mm after 29,760 miles, on my 4Motion. Now on 2nd set.

I was looking for a set of all season tyres and brought a set of cross climate +. Whilst I don’t encounter much snow living in the south west of the UK I do go down plenty of muddy farm tracks. I guess I have had them on for 10k miles. They still have plenty of tread on them. I am very pleased with them an would use them again.
I cannot see a difference on the road using them from normal summer tyres. They are fitted to my Caravelle so it is fair to say that I do not explore the limits of the tyres.

So I would suggest the difference in wear issue is due to @WelshGas having a 4 wheel drive and @Geesvw having a 2 wheel drive.

I posted many years ago that one of the reasons I went for a 4 motion was the experience of 10 years and a 150k with a 2 Litre Touran with FWD. I’d like to think I’m a pretty smooth driver but front wheel spin when pulling away was an issue.

So each to their own but personalIy I would quite happily spec a 150hp 2 wheel drive Cali but anything above and it would be a 4 Motion. If I already had the high powered FWD and needed winter tyres I’d be switching wheels to specific winter tyres.

I think this issue highlights that there are very few hard and fast rules and we each have slightly different circumstances. No doubt why there often appears to be disagreement when in fact there is none.

Mike

I think the difference in wear and general opinion is that there are many different specs of michelin cross climates, normal, suv, agilis etc (and probably etc). It would be helpful if members were precise about which they were using, and perhaps show tread patterns of each type... Which I suspect differ considerably.

I could see no comments on fuel economy, are they any good.

Back