Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All Season Tyre Suggestion - Michelin CrossClimate +

I put on Crossclimate SUV 235/60/17 106V and thought that I'd check the tread depth from fitting day.
Got a surprise as they are 7mm. I'd expected at least 8mm.

Just had a Service done and VW report concurs tread depth. Under 400 miles since fitting.

Last edited:
Today I was in contact with Michelin. They informed me that the Latitude Cross will disappear from their program.
Instead they now sell the Agilis Cross Climate, which is an all season tyre with M&S properties as well as the 3PMFS symbol, thus being a snow tyre.
This is what I will choose, I think. Not cheap though.

Snowy regards from Amsterdam (20 centimeters of snow today),

Marc.
you would have to have a slightly larger than standard as the MACC is not available as 235/55/17 but in 235/60 R17 117. It's only marginally bigger and I would run it.

Today I was in contact with Michelin. They informed me that the Latitude Cross will disappear from their program.
Instead they now sell the Agilis Cross Climate, which is an all season tyre with M&S properties as well as the 3PMFS symbol, thus being a snow tyre.
This is what I will choose, I think. Not cheap though.

Snowy regards from Amsterdam (20 centimeters of snow today),

Marc.
8 inches in Amsterdam, takes me back :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D

I put on Crossclimate SUV 235/60/17 106V and thought that I'd check the tread depth from fitting day.

Just had a Service done and VW report concurs tread depth. Under 400 miles since fitting.
Hope they wear well !

I'm a big fan of the Cross Climate SUV but also felt the tread didn't look very deep from the start. 'wear' reports seem good though, although you'd have expected an all seasons rubber formulation to have worn quicker and hence perhaps start off with a very deep pattern.

4F2E9554-CDB7-4387-B045-22E7558145B3.jpeg
I managed to get across a 43 degree angle pipe crossing today.
In other news….
Mucklow hill closed as a VW Transporter was stuck and slid backwards and blocked the whole main road.
It’s all about tyre choice ;)

As a general rule, it’s hard to go wrong with Michelin, and it’s not because I live in France that I am a fan. I used the Primacy on my vehicles for years and found them stable, comfortable, low noise and hard wearing. I have Continental all season tyres on my new Cali as delivered by the factory, and I really find them unstable pressure wise. I have never had good experiences with Continentals, I seem jinxed with that brand. Living on the Riviera with ski resorts 2 hours drive, I will likely put Michelin Cross Climates on when I change my tyres.

8 inches in Amsterdam, takes me back :rolleyes: :D

8 inches in Amsterdam, takes me back :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D

Hope they wear well !
If not had wheels aligned in last few years or since fitting lowering springs then my advice is have a laser 4 wheel alignment check. Then at 9,000 miles move the front wheels to the rear and vice versa. Doing this I get 24,000 miles out of cross climate xl on a 204 ps 4 Motion.

If not had wheels aligned in last few years or since fitting lowering springs then my advice is have a laser 4 wheel alignment check. Then at 9,000 miles move the front wheels to the rear and vice versa. Doing this I get 24,000 miles out of cross climate xl on a 204 ps 4 Motion.
Never changed wheels around on my 4 Motion. Equal tyre wear L to R F to R. Normally change when wear gets down to 3+mm at about 25,000 miles . On my 3rd set of Michelins . Prior to that Goodyear all seasons. Same wearability.

I've seen no different wear rates front to rear on my 4Motion.

Only swapped 2WD wheels around after sorting out alignment issues.

Seems some claim that tyres wear evenly front to rear. Not my experience. My experience is i get quite good even wear across tyre but different between front to back. I guess it depends on type of driving and vehicle loading. Therefore, suggest you measure your tyre wear carefully with a tyre depth gauge (I use a digital vernier caliper) and if wear across each tyre a 9k miles is even then great. If however you find front to rear wear rate is significantly different then move to front rear. Cheap to do as does not involve taking tyres off rims. Moving across corners costs around £80 so may not recover this cost from the extra mileage this may achieve before new tyres required.

Seems some claim that tyres wear evenly front to rear. Not my experience. My experience is i get quite good even wear across tyre but different between front to back. I guess it depends on type of driving and vehicle loading. Therefore, suggest you measure your tyre wear carefully with a tyre depth gauge (I use a digital vernier caliper) and if wear across each tyre a 9k miles is even then great. If however you find front to rear wear rate is significantly different then move to front rear. Cheap to do as does not involve taking tyres off rims. Moving across corners costs around £80 so may not recover this cost from the extra mileage this may achieve before new tyres required.
Have measured tread depth frequently . No significant difference but it is an everyday vehicle covering 20,000 miles or so a year, except for last 18 months, a little less.

Put a set of Agilis CrossClimates on yesterday - 215/60 R17s.

We shall see. There was nothing wrong with the Contivans fitted OE which did 31000 miles and were not totally finished either.

We shall see. My tyre fitter (owner of the business for 30 years) says they are the best tyre he’s come across in his career. He might have been easing me over the price hurdle though. Cost £224 per quarter after a 5% rebate from Michelin.

Consolation is they are cheaper rubber than BMW i3 tyres which I am replacing today - with Continentals.

IMG_6182.jpeg

Put a set of Agilis CrossClimates on yesterday - 215/60 R17s.

We shall see. There was nothing wrong with the Contivans fitted OE which did 31000 miles and were not totally finished either.

We shall see. My tyre fitter (owner of the business for 30 years) says they are the best tyre he’s come across in his career. He might have been easing me over the price hurdle though. Cost £224 per quarter after a 5% rebate from Michelin.

Consolation is they are cheaper rubber than BMW i3 tyres which I am replacing today - with Continentals.

View attachment 107748
I fitted Agilis CrossClimate 215/65 R16s 25,000km ago. Winter performance in snow and ice in the Pyrenees is better than some dedicated winter tires I've had. I like the more aggressive tread pattern, and the rubber composition does a great job winter and summer.

Cost £224 per quarter after a 5% rebate from Michelin.
Sorry for the 'shock' emoji at the price. Thought you'd been ripped off... Until I checked on line and that is the going rate. I'm still not used to this inflationary spiral!

My cross climates SUV came in at £500 the set a few years ago and I was still in that mindframe.

Out of interest, why did you go for the Agilis cross climate over the regular cross climate 2? Is it size availability without going up to 235/55?

Same here Agilis CrossClimates 215/60 R17s been fitted for a couple of weeks now.

Sorry for the 'shock' emoji at the price. Thought you'd been ripped off... Until I checked on line and that is the going rate. I'm still not used to this inflationary spiral!

My cross climates SUV came in at £500 the set a few years ago and I was still in that mindframe.

Out of interest, why did you go for the Agilis cross climate over the regular cross climate 2? Is it size availability without going up to 235/55?
As I understand it, the Agilis are the van tyre with suitable side loading. I think you could get away with the car version though. I listened to the expert who fitted them and was one of several who recommended them. I have used him for years, he owns his business and has been in his trade for 40 years. He know more about tyres than I do. So far they drive fine. He did say put 50 max psi in them. With higher pressure the tyre blocks will warm too much in the centre and "that could lead to other issues" on a longer journey the tyres will warm and be more than 50 psi.

>>>> Further info 500 miles in….
Not really impressed. On silky-smooth French roads balance issues showed up.
I am sensitive to this sort of thing and had them re-balanced in France. One of the rears was 35g out (and once all the old balance tabs had been removed, 95g out) the other 10g. The only way to get the thing close was to deflate the tyre, rotate a quarter turn on the wheel and then re-balance. Even now they are far from perfect through the speed range. Definitely not impressed at the moment. I will keep trying and report.

Last edited:
Back