Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alex Scott

That’s the exact question we had when watching.
So all being said, this was nothing to do with colour or background, just some of the presenters should give more background to the sports they are covering... This should be the focus

Box ticking just leads to erosion of standards.

So all being said, this was nothing to do with colour or background, just some of the presenters should give more background to the sports they are covering... This should be the focus

One of many unanswered questions.
But that’s what happens when you focus on other things instead of content…

I may have missed it but for example, the coverage of the Canoe & Kayak Slalom. No explanation of the differences between the Canoe & Kayak disciplines.
Reminds me of the year Suzy Perry was flavour of the month and was covering the Olympic Slalom.

She kept referring to the paddlers using oars....

One of many unanswered questions.
But that’s what happens when you focus on other things instead of content…
That's what I was just thinking about.

What's the problem actually?

Alex:

- Female
- Black
- Working class background (should we check which school and what parents do?)
- Born in London
- Ex-footballer for England and Arsenal
- Bubbly personality
- Member of the British Empire

Sounds like some people are saying if she was white, but the rest stayed the same, then it would be better?? I thought even that Lord so-and-so only gripe was the accent!

Or is it she's simply more football focused, and an Olympian would be better?

But maybe the typical Olympian is not very good at presenting on TV?

As said above, the focus should be on the content.

I tend to agree. Aren't there any ex-olympic athletes in need of a few quid who could do her job at least as well? She's fed plenty of lines about what it's like to be an athlete in training for the Olympics but has no personal experience. She should stick to the footy in my opinion.
Nonsense, she is an ex-olympic athlete, she was in the 2012 Olympics! I really don't get the hate that Alex receives.

So your Cali comes back from service with half the oil missing. When you complain the dealer explains they had to tick some boxes on their employee demographic. They managed it but the employee turns out not to be a particularly good mechanic. Ok with that?

That's what I was just thinking about.

What's the problem actually?

Alex:

- Female
- Black
- Working class background (should we check which school and what parents do?)
- Born in London
- Ex-footballer for England and Arsenal
- Bubbly personality
- Member of the British Empire

Sounds like some people are saying if she was white, but the rest stayed the same, then it would be better?? I thought even that Lord so-and-so only gripe was the accent!

Or is it she's simply more football focused, and an Olympian would be better?

But maybe the typical Olympian is not very good at presenting on TV?

As said above, the focus should be on the content.
I agree and personally feel uncomfortable about some of the comments here. Rio Ferdinand given as an example of tokenism is ridiculous.
So your Cali comes back from service with half the oil missing. When you complain the dealer explains they had to tick some boxes on their employee demographic. They managed it but the employee turns out not to be a particularly good mechanic. Ok with that?
Did that happen to you? I suspect not. That didnt happen anywhere. Just making up rubbish to support a poor argument.

Anyway back to the point, Digby Jones is a dinosaur. I welcome the diversity of the presenters on the BBC who pretty much without exception have done something exceptional in their sporting field. Lets all celebrate Team GB and the incredible results they are achieving.

So following your logic, if the mechanic is good, and they're from east London, then that's ok, but if they're bad, and they're a woman, who once played football... yeah you lost me

Or in this case VW also employing them as their HR manager, the accountant and the sales receptionist.

Alex Scott has her place. Given her pedigree probably as host of a football show. But the One Show, a new daytime quiz, Strictly Come Dancing and Olympic host all in the same year? The BBC need to focus on where your skills are, not put you everywhere. Remember when Chris Evans was Radio 2 presenter, One show presenter, Top Gear presenter, host of various one offs such as Queens jubilee or similar all in the same period. Even his prodigious talent couldn't sustain that over exposure.

So following your logic, if the mechanic is good, and they're from east London, then that's ok, but if they're bad, and they're a woman, who once played football... yeah you lost me
"It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him," it was ever thus.

Or in this case VW also employing them as their HR manager, the accountant and the sales receptionist.

Alex Scott has her place. Given her pedigree probably as host of a football show. But the One Show, a new daytime quiz, Strictly Come Dancing and Olympic host all in the same year? The BBC need to focus on where your skills are, not put you everywhere. Remember when Chris Evans was Radio 2 presenter, One show presenter, Top Gear presenter, host of various one offs such as Queens jubilee or similar all in the same period. Even his prodigious talent couldn't sustain that over exposure.
Ok so this sounds more logic to me... don't spread the talent too far and wide, that I can stand behind.

Although... :) Ronan Keating on The One Show talking about day-to-day stuff is suprisingly good!

That you can’t voice an opinion, like finding someone annoying, without being accused of some sort of ‘…ism’?
For sure it can all get touchy, that I agree with. But comments on this board were directly about her ticking boxes, which refers to her being black, not annoying.

Also don't think Lord Jones was accused of being racist, it was about being elitist

The only country in the world where your condemned as soon as you talk!
Until we move on from class riddled snobbery we are stuck in the past.
Not unique to the UK, most countries have a hierarchy of its own people

Simply defending standards. The BBC should be a basic fundamental high standard. I was taught to end my words correctly with all of the letters.

Although... :) Ronan Keating on The One Show talking about day-to-day stuff is suprisingly good!
Nothing wrong with mixing things up and having people from outside the normal talent pool. It just depends on whether they have that talent or add something.

The ism/ woke debate is a real one. Sadly we are focusing on Alex Scott's gender/race/sexuality/ class as due to the BBC doing its best to add it's latest find that ticks boxes everywhere, rather than just where that find would work best.

Gardeners World featured a home video of a lady who does great stuff despite being born with stunted arms. It's since featured her again from home and now as a roving presenter. That works. The person in question is a find, a refreshing addition to the diversity mix. I don't expect to see her presenting Mastermind next week or Top Gear the week after.

They also feature a presenter in an electric chair as their disability correspondent/editor/ what ever title they give her. She is starting to crop up everywhere there is a disability angle in the same way that Ade Adepitan does.

Be better to promote more individual faces and see which one works best in a given field.

Gardeners World also has a recentish presenter from a minority group who is more wooden than the plants she talks about. Box ticking doesn't get the best people for the job.

Back