• Start date
Pure Worktop Protection

Pure Worktop Protection

VIP Member
Trade Advertiser
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We picked up our new 204 DSG from Breeze in Poole 3 weeks ago and am a little shocked at the MPG. With no city driving we are Getting around 28 MPG. Did manage to push it up to 36 yesterday by coasting in neutral down any hills - but not really a style of driving I considered I'd have to use.
It's not like I am even driving it hard, bit of a shock when I was expecting something close to 40mpg.

Our t5 140 does around 34mpg overall in mixed use. It will get better with use as the engine beds in as they are a little tight at first.

Ours has now covered over 7,000 miles and the average for us is still between 25-29 MPG, we do get mid 30's once out on the motorway but day to day driving it is always well below 30MPG. My old 2010 Discovery had better fuel consumption. On the plus side my Texaco loyalty points are building up !

We picked up our new 204 DSG from Breeze in Poole 3 weeks ago and am a little shocked at the MPG. With no city driving we are Getting around 28 MPG. Did manage to push it up to 36 yesterday by coasting in neutral down any hills - but not really a style of driving I considered I'd have to use.
It's not like I am even driving it hard, bit of a shock when I was expecting something close to 40mpg.
I think the dog box has a coast function built in now - welshgas may know

My 150 DSG has only 490 miles on the clock, took it out for first run yesterday and we got 34 mpg. It will improve with time.

Seems a tad heavy. Can easily achieve 30mpg+

Driven up to Wales last night at 35.1mpg which I thought was a little heavy. However it was cold.

Much the same as you and up to all of 400 miles on the clock, but hopefully it will start to improve once its got a few miles under the belt. The last diesel I had was at its best when I got rid of it. I'm expecting mid 30's

Mike

Not bedded in properly until around at least 10k miles. Last seven VW diesels all started to improve a lot a round then.

Decades ago I read that for every 5mph over 50mph you loose 3 miles per gallon on consumption useage,
As at the time I had a company car and was paid an allowance per mile for fuel I tested this out in real terms (did 40k miles per yearly average then). I found that it was true and enabled a profit to be made on fuel allowance, sadly the coming of Fuel cards killed that income.
I have always kept that fact in mind when driving plus an hours batting along only gets you there a minute or two earlier, is time that critical?
Other fuel saving method is to try never to need to brake for roundabouts etc. by lifting off the accelerator around 800mtrs before. Braking generally means that energy/speed gained by burning fuel to attain has been miscalculated.

I would also agree with others that consumption improves after 10k miles and sometimes as much as 20k before the engine gives its best fuel usage rate.

Must admit that I was hoping for upper 30's from my forthcoming 204ps 4M DSG . I did get 35mpg from my Peugoet based Mobilehome even with a 2.5 tonnes box van on tow. Time will tell I guess.

Watch the MPG change when you change tyres makes/types if you use it all year round.

The T6 is my third diesel and the mpg on all has been very dependent on external temperature. The optimum appears to be between 12 and 21C approx. My 110 hp Passat would deliver up to 65 mpg without difficulty under 'ideal' conditions whereas the newer 140 hp Passat is nearer 57 mpg with exactly the same journeys. In cold weather I lose about 5 mpg and in hot weather the same due to air con. These figures did not change with engine mileage.

The T6 returns around 30 for short journeys, 35 for journeys up to 30 miles and up to 40 for longer journeys during this winter. In the summer I managed to squeeze an extra 3 to 4 mpg.

Driving style has a substantial affect on the above figures. If I drive hard or being stuck in slow moving traffic, I can easily lose 4+ mpg.

I will be disappointed if I cannot average near 40 mpg over a good journey.

Much the same as you and up to all of 400 miles on the clock, but hopefully it will start to improve once its got a few miles under the belt. The last diesel I had was at its best when I got rid of it. I'm expecting mid 30's

Mike
I also got mine from Breeze last week.

3 ton, 204 hp van shaped like a brick. 28 mpg doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Don't take any notice of VWs fiddled mpg figures;)
My 150 DSG Ocean, filled brim to brim twice, averaged 38 mpg, driven gently whilst running in, but most encouraging.

Don't forget the diesel coolant heater fires up below 5 deg C which will use some fuel. The MPG should improve as the weather gets warmer.

There are probably many sites with real world figures, here is the one I use
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/over...html?constyear_s=2016&power_s=190&powerunit=2
As you can see it varies a lot. It seems the manual gearbox dont save any fuel over the dsg, atleast not significant. Also, the Californias are beeing used a lot in germany. I sometimes feel bad because our Cali will most likely be used over 20.000km/year, but we are not alone. I have never seen any difference in consumption, I would relate it to drivers bering more careful over time or learning to drive the vehicle more that reduced friction or whatever. Say the consumption would be 10% better after a while, we are talking lots of friction requiring cooling in the beginning.

Last edited:
Driving style, weather, weight and roof load all make huge differences. I drive down to Austria last year and average 45mph. That was in dry warm weather on busy roads where I was averaged a steady 50mph with an empty van. On the way back I had torrential rain, was fully laden and alternated between stop start traffic jams and driving at 80mph to catch the ferry. I averaged just 35mpg.

Roof load also makes a huge difference. I often have canoes on the roof and struggle to do better than mid 30s.

I've resigned myself that high 30s on a long run is the best I will get. I've done 7,500 miles now. Perhaps it'll improve when I approach that magic 10,000.

Basically, Who Cares!

I only monitor it as an indicator of engine problems.
The only time i would be travelling at 50 on a motorway would be if the speed limit was reduced to 50. But then that's me. If i wanted economy i wouldn't be driving a brick.:)

We average 32MPG and mine is well worn in at 30k miles.

Just enjoy it and don't worry about the diesel cost, think of all the money you are saving on hotel rooms.

Gosh! Who'd have thought that a vehicle with the aero dynamic properties of a small house and similar weight would only return that mpg?

Factor in a strangled emission constrained engine and you're probably doing well.
DSG is obvs more thirsty as it tends to hang on to the gears longer than a manual.

Mine averages 36 as well.
Ambient temperature was new for me after the petrol engine.
Though I've noticed that short drives take way more. And by short I mean around 1 hour.
The most effective consumption starts after 2-3 hours.

Anyway pretty happy. It is still less than my 2.0 petrol honda with less HP and half the weight.

DSG is obvs more thirsty as it tends to hang on to the gears longer than a manual.
I would assume the same but interestingly VW quote better consumption figures for the DSG (for Urban and Combined). Whether those figures can be believed is another matter......

Back