Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2022 Ocean T6.1 Kitchen unit Dual USB socket failure or Wiring issue.

I may be wrong but we installed some similar USB outlets recently & the USB part is just pushed into the holder from the front & can be careful levered out from the front.

I know the 240v socket is the same, it's just an insert pushed into a holder from the front, early GCs and T6.1 needed the insert changing as they were EU sockets not UK 3 pin

If someone can remember the name of the socket manufacturer there will be a set of fitting instructions available.

U37 - SH9 - SG1 - A1

Leisure battery on this diagram. Potentially each vehicle is different.
Thank you for the diagrams.
I can’t quantify how each vehicle could potentially be different when they would only have 1 wiring loom for the USB connectors. For the 6.1.
I can’t see how some VW production line operatives would one day think let’s wire up USB to Lesuire battery and then another day, think, let’s wire it up to the starter battery for these 10 VW California Ocean today?
Unless I’m not getting what you are trying to say.
Apologies if it’s not clear for me…

I can’t quantify how each vehicle could potentially be different when they would only have 1 wiring loom for the USB connectors. For the 6.1.
I can’t see how some VW production line operatives would one day think let’s wire up USB to Lesuire battery and then another day, think, let’s wire it up to the starter battery for these 10 VW California Ocean today?
I think T6.1 are consistent, at various times the T5.1 & T6 kitchen end 12v socket has swapped between engine & leisure battery as its source & the 12v socket sometimes fitted on dashboard was powered from the opposite source.

I think T6.1 are consistent, at various times the T5.1 & T6 kitchen end 12v socket has swapped between engine & leisure battery as its source & the 12v socket sometimes fitted on dashboard was powered from the opposite source.
Aha, how bizarre, not easy to
Troubleshoot, if needed.
Thanks for the heads up.
So on the 6.1, 100% USB from the Lesuire?
I’m going to reconnect the dashcam to the USB by sink and switch the fridge off and see what happens. For a few days.
Unable to drive at the moment, so have time to test things out…

What I was trying to say is that VW wants you to punch your vin into their system and then they will supply the 'correct' diagram for your vehicle. Clearly manufacturing consistent vehicles makes sense.

But there are already some obvious differences between later T6.1s and this diagram, for example the second battery sensor has its power wired differently.

What I was trying to say is that VW wants you to punch your vin into their system and then they will supply the 'correct' diagram for your vehicle. Clearly manufacturing consistent vehicles makes sense.

But there are already some obvious differences between later T6.1s and this diagram, for example the second battery sensor has its power wired differently.
Aha, understand. Thank you.
It’s very bizarre though, that they are not all wired exactly the same.
So do you think the Sink USB sockets are wired into one of the Lesuire battery’s, or just on the Lesuire circuit?

Aha, understand. Thank you.
It’s very bizarre though, that they are not all wired exactly the same.
So do you think the Sink USB sockets are wired into one of the Lesuire battery’s, or just on the Lesuire circuit?
I'm pretty sure that diagram is likely accurate for all t6.1s. Usb is wired through two fuses then the front leisure battery.

I’ve charged the battery’s up for two days.
EHU. From the house.
Switched off the fridge.
Reading +2 amps from the solar.
Plugged the front dashcam in and it’s reading -4 amps.
So I think you’re correct.
Starter is reading 14.1v
IMG_6674.jpeg
IMG_6675.jpeg

I don’t get why having two dashcams plugged in, (rear direct from rear Lesuire battery.)
(Front, we’ve now deduced is from the front Lesuire battery)
Fridge uses the Lesuire battery’s.
Solar charging Lesuire battery’s and 1amp trickle maintenance charge to starter.
Why, after two weeks would my Lesuire show its half full. Starter measures 12.5v but when switching ignition on, display says starter battery low and needs engine switched on to charge it up.

I used my van for the first time since instrumenting the starter battery this week. Plugging in EHU on my van (MY22) clearly closes the split charge relay. I didn't check what happens if you start the engine.

Screenshot_20230605-202311.png

Last edited:
RESOLVED

Got the campervan back from the dealers today and the issue was indeed resolved by the replacement of the faulty USB socket which is the conclusion I came to previously with all the magnificent help of this forum.

For anyone’s future reference the dual USB part number is 971035252B and is detailed In the first picture below. It’s available with a google search and is also used on certain Porsche vehicles.

The removal of the failed USB and subsequent replacement did indeed require the removal of the kitchen sink and burner unit and to evidence this I saw that the red marker line placed on the gas nut from the burner and sink unit to the main gas pipe has been moved by a quarter of a turn tighter after replacing and shown in the second picture. (I’ll do my own leak test on that joint tomorrow just for my own peace of mind)

All the best and thanks for all the responses.

IMG_0818.jpegIMG_0816.jpeg

Great idea about marking the pipes :thumb

Back