Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replace passenger 12v socket with USB?

Nolan

Nolan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Has anyone replaced one of the rear 12v sockets with one that provides USB charging? Something like the one linked below but better quality (that one looks a bit plasticky). The linked one also shows voltage as suggested on the solar panel thread.

I can't really think of any use for the 12v socket, I've wired my fridge to use Anderson plugs connected directly to the battery to avoid any potential issues with voltage drop on the van wiring.

Presumably they have fixed this on the T6.1 camper and it's got USB sockets everywhere?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07R8JV1LX/?tag=eliteelect-21

Has anyone replaced one of the rear 12v sockets with one that provides USB charging? Something like the one linked below but better quality (that one looks a bit plasticky). The linked one also shows voltage as suggested on the solar panel thread.

I can't really think of any use for the 12v socket, I've wired my fridge to use Anderson plugs connected directly to the battery to avoid any potential issues with voltage drop on the van wiring.

Presumably they have fixed this on the T6.1 camper and it's got USB sockets everywhere?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07R8JV1LX/?tag=eliteelect-21
The problem you would have is that unless you can switch it Off then it could flatten Leisure Batteries quite quickly even when not in use. It is really designed for an Ignition controlled circuit.

The only issue with these is the electronics inside cannot be switched off or isolated like a plug-in adapter and these will add to the parasitic drain on your leisure batteries when your system is not used for long periods of time.

edit (snap)

I have pondered an usb fitment and considered this one ...
5932544F-7BB6-4AE5-8BF4-DFECE874C6FD.jpeg
but does it require a transformer?
Will continue to cogitate ...

Last edited:
Get one without the volt meter/display. Completely useless/inaccurate and the blue glow will drive you/the current Mrs mad at night, unless of course you put in a switch.

I think, having seen the information above, I'm going to get a plugin one and lecture the kids not to leave it plugged in :)

I'd not appreciated the issues it would cause with parasitic drain but it makes sense thinking about it. Will be easier to check a plug-in charger is removed then making sure a fixed one is switched off I hope.

A decent quality 12v plug-in USB adaptor will have a negligible current draw if there is no device plugged into it. I’ve used these for years in various vehicles, never unplugged them and never had any issues. Look for Powermonkey, Belkin or another decent make and you’ll be fine.

+1 for cigar lighter adapter - keep it simple. also available with both USB A and USB C together.

Hi there. I purchased one of these USB sockets from Amazon which has a little inductively operated on off switch. I have measured the current draw in line to the socket when off and it draws a micro amp at best to monitor the switch. I piggy backed the supply off the exiting 12V socket next to it so that I did not need to butcher the original wiring in anyway. Apart from the neat hole in the unit which I drilled with a cone cutter it is all pretty standard and it works really well without having to use an adaptor.

EFF28CFE-63DE-492E-8137-E777DD437523.jpeg

7A9811CA-E10B-4E2F-9100-6AD145F9DA27.jpeg

Hi there. I purchased one of these USB sockets from Amazon which has a little inductively operated on off switch. I have measured the current draw in line to the socket when off and it draws a micro amp at best to monitor the switch. I piggy backed the supply off the exiting 12V socket next to it so that I did not need to butcher the original wiring in anyway. Apart from the neat hole in the unit which I drilled with a cone cutter it is all pretty standard and it works really well without having to use an adaptor.

View attachment 63485

View attachment 63486

I've been away for a few days so missed this reply but this looks interesting, have you got a link?

After reading this and many other threads, I went for it and replaced the 12v socket in the kitchen's cabinet for some USB-A and USB-C ports. In case anyone is interested in doing this themselves, I've put together a detailed guide on how I did it: https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/replace-vw-california-kitchen-12v-outlet-with-usb-ports-f5f6394d7993

This is what my kitchen looks like now:
View attachment 94081
Exactly what I was looking for. Followed the link and saw the pictures as to how to get to the socket gubbins and wiring. Will be doing that ASAP. I might put in an isolating switch as well to prevent any current drain.

Exactly what I was looking for. Followed the link and saw the pictures as to how to get to the socket gubbins and wiring. Will be doing that ASAP. I might put in an isolating switch as well to prevent any current drain.
Wouldn't worry about isolation switch, draw is tiny.