Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2022 Ocean T6.1 Kitchen unit Dual USB socket failure or Wiring issue.

G

Gazzer01

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Apologies if this is long winded but I've tried to be thorough and if it helps me and others then all the better. Please also bear in mind I have warranty on the vehicle but I'll cover that more at the end.

Problem
Yesterday when attempting to charge my phone in the Kitchen mounted dual usb socket (2022 T6.1 Ocean) I noticed it wasn't charging from either of the two available flush mounted sockets.

Investigation steps
Step 1 - The owners manual states that Fuse F9 is 20 amp rated that is dual purpose and supplies the 12 volt socket in the pop top and the USB charger (See image 1 below)
Step 2 - Upon checking Fuse F9 (See image 2 below ) The fuse was intact and had not failed at all.
Step 3 - As its indicted in the manual that its a shared fuse, I checked power to the 12volt socket in the pop top roof and there was power to it and It was functioning when plugging items into it.
Step 3.1 This ruled out any fuse issues and meant that it was either a wiring issue to the USB charger OR failure of the USB charger module itself.

Remediation steps
Step 1 Check I have 12 volts to the wiring connector at the back of the USB socket.
Step 2 If I have 12 volts to the back of the USB socket then all I need to do is replace the faulty dual USB module. (My suspicion is its just a failed module)

Next steps and advice needed
Problem
- Removal of the plastic facia plate (See Image 3 below) is not possible to gain access to the usb fixing screw from the front as there is a screw from the inside of the kitchen cabinet in the area circled in red that is stopping the facia plate from being entirely removed. This prevents me from carrying out the simple steps of identifying wither a failed USB module or wiring issue.

It is not possible (and believe me I've tried) to remove the fixing screw in situ and its not accessible (See image 4) for close up and (Image 5) for an expanded view.

Question 1 - Has anybody on the forum had this problem previously and been able to fix it themselves ?
Question 2- Has anybody on the forum successfully been able to either remove the T6.1 kitchen unit or sink and hob to provide adequate access ?

I imagine people are thinking that I should take it back to the dealer and make it their problem under warranty. For me, that is the last resort as I don't want any scratches, marks, badly fitting kitchen components after removing/replacing. For that reason I'd rather do it myself if any of you have previous experience and can help.

Image 1.jpeg

Image 2.jpeg

Image 3.jpeg

Image 4.jpeg

Image 5.jpeg

1681570123649.jpeg

Is your 240v socket working with hook up?

A very well asked and good quality query. I'm onboard with the avoiding of a hamfisted dealer mucking around there. Wish I had more insight to offer.

Thanks for the response and I wish it was as simple as that.
I should have stated in my original post it doesn't work on hook up either.
Are you sure the 240v socket and twin USB socket are not push fit units held in by clips behind which if compressed allow the socket to pop out?
A USB unit can fail and I would have thought it would be very bad design to have to dismantle the kitchen to replace such a unit.

Previous Californias had such sockets fitted from the front.

My USB works with no key in ignition, and use it to power the forward facing dashcam and parking mode.
Not sure if it’s powered from Lesuire or starter battery

Are you sure the 240v socket and twin USB socket are not push fit units held in by clips behind which if compressed allow the socket to pop out?
A USB unit can fail and I would have thought it would be very bad design to have to dismantle the kitchen to replace such a unit.

Previous Californias had such sockets fitted from the front.
The USB socket is screwed into the side panel from the outside of the kitchen panel with 4 screws. I confirmed this as I can slightly lift off the facia panel To see. I can’t remove the facia panel fully due to the screw on the inside of the kitchen cupboard which is blocked by the sink..

it’s a really bad design from a maintenance perspective.

My USB works with no key in ignition, and use it to power the forward facing dashcam and parking mode.
Not sure if it’s powered from Lesuire or starter battery
Agreed. There a permanent live at the fuse circuit and the pop top 12 volt socket on the same fuse is working with the ignition off.

I am going to look in situ later just to see if I can see a route with the various flexible screwdriver tools I have to get at that screw, though I suspect you have exhausted that possibility.

Given your well described concerns about dealers, and if rear access is impossible, in your shoes I think I might buy a sharp hole cutter and matching rubber grommet and drill out that screw zone from the front and grommet/plug it after.

Stating the obvious perhaps, but have you costed replacing the whole unit - so that the existing one can be sacrificed?

As you haven’t mentioned I assume you’ve ruled out that it’s not the charging lead you are using and tried another one?
yes, have tried multiple cables and the cables work in other chargers.

I am going to look in situ later just to see if I can see a route with the various flexible screwdriver tools I have to get at that screw, though I suspect you have exhausted that possibility.

Given your well described concerns about dealers, and if rear access is impossible, in your shoes I think I might buy a sharp hole cutter and matching rubber grommet and drill out that screw zone from the front and grommet/plug it after.

Stating the obvious perhaps, but have you costed replacing the whole unit - so that the existing one can be sacrificed?
Thanks for taking a look and appreciate the feedback. I have thought about a flexi screwdriver but can’t see what type screw head it is and “think” the gap is too small to get into. If you can get to it with one, it would be fantastic if you can tell me where I can get one.

The screw inside the cabinet fixes the outer facia plate on the outside of the cabinet so by removing it and grommeting, the facia plate won’t fit again.

If I sacrifice the facia plate and buy a new one I am still faced with the problem of not being able to fix it with the screw unfortunately.

I really appreciate all the comments and want to stress I’m not actively trying to discount any of them, it’s just to me it’s a bad design and can’t seem to find a way around it….. yet !!!!

Thanks very much for the pics. The final picture confirms removal of the bolt (looks like a screw to me) is indeed done carried out from the inside of the kitchen unit as I suspected. This means I now have to take the kitchen sink and hob off completely to gain access.

My thoughts are now to take photos of the entire kitchen unit inside and out to highlight its in immaculate condition and then take to the dealers for replacement of the USB socket. Any marks after the work are down to the dealers. Will call them on Monday to discuss and I'll post on here the outcome.

Thanks to all for all the feedback on this problem.

Yes on close inspection access to the screw/bolt appears impossible without the sink out, drill and grommet would not work here as you say. I hope your dealer solves this without a trace and look forward to hearing how that goes.

Yes on close inspection access to the screw/bolt appears impossible without the sink out, drill and grommet would not work here as you say. I hope your dealer solves this without a trace and look forward to hearing how that goes.
Thank you for checking, much appreciated.

Gazzer01
Did you manage to get your non charging USB issue sorted out?, if so what was the fix?

Sorry for the late reply but have been away in the van.
just arranging for the garage to fix it under warranty. Will report back with their findings

Sorry for the late reply but have been away in the van.
just arranging for the garage to fix it under warranty. Will report back with their findings
Did the dealer fix the USB issue?
Are these USB sockets powered by the starter battery?
Or the Lesuire battery ?

Back