Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1st Post - Brand New Ocean Ordered, Wrong Vehicle Delivered from Factory

O

OJ1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all

I was hoping my first post would be a bit more positive. I ordered an Ocean 204 fwd in Blackberry in January. After several delays, model year changes etc, the van arrived at the port in the UK 2-3 weeks after the build week (31). Today it turned up at Eurovans in Crawley, except that the van that arrived was a 150 4-motion. I'm gutted. I've waited 7months for the wrong vehicle to turn up. The remaining spec (Alcantara, active CC, rev camera etc) is all there, the fundamental engine and drive train is wrong.

I've asked them if I can use it while the van I spec'd gets built and delivered - hopefully before the tax bracket changes next year! I'm waiting to hear back.

I can't believe it. We're meant to be going for two weeks around Scotland in September. Our only other car we have is a Panda because I sold my car several months back for the California.

Am I being unrealistic with my request to borrow the vehicle that had turned up? The fault is with VW apparently.

Ollie

Keep it until the correct one turns up.
If it arrives after the tax change ask Vw to pay you the extra cost.
Or ask if you can keep it at the original price!

I would keep it, in my opinion 150PS is enough, the Cali don't "need" the 204PS.
I quote Walter Röhrl: "Everything except 4wd is a compromise" :)

Welcome on your first post.
Some others on here have sufferd the same i think....
Why am i not all that suprised ?!

Last edited:
Def keep it - get them to compensate you, but i believe the 150 is the nicer drive, more economical and less stressed engine - i would have ordered 4 motion but it wasnt available with the 150 Beach - i reckon you have the best of both worlds ..... and a bit slug of compensation ..... thats three worlds

When I had a loan 180 while mine was in for repair for two weeks I was very suprised at how little difference there was between the 180 and my 140.

Ask them to borrow it while they order you a new one, then take it up to Scotland and see how you get on with it. If you find you like it and don't find it underpowered go back and tell them you might be persuaded to keep it if the price is right. Another advantage is that you will find out if the vehicle has any other faults, if it has none and works perfectly I would be even more inclined to keep it.

We found out earlier that the factory had changed our order without us being notified. We had a loan vehicle of roughly the same spec until our reordered vehicle was delivered. So a few months of free motoring, no tax or insurance.

Although Keith's suggestion is a great starting point. They've got to take it into stock anyway, so no skin of their nose to let you use it.

But make sure you get good compensation. Bike rack if you didn't spec it. Anything else dealer fit etc.

Hi all

I was hoping my first post would be a bit more positive. I ordered an Ocean 204 fwd in Blackberry in January. After several delays, model year changes etc, the van arrived at the port in the UK 2-3 weeks after the build week (31). Today it turned up at Eurovans in Crawley, except that the van that arrived was a 150 4-motion. I'm gutted. I've waited 7months for the wrong vehicle to turn up. The remaining spec (Alcantara, active CC, rev camera etc) is all there, the fundamental engine and drive train is wrong.

I've asked them if I can use it while the van I spec'd gets built and delivered - hopefully before the tax bracket changes next year! I'm waiting to hear back.

I can't believe it. We're meant to be going for two weeks around Scotland in September. Our only other car we have is a Panda because I sold my car several months back for the California.

Am I being unrealistic with my request to borrow the vehicle that had turned up? The fault is with VW apparently.

Ollie

Read the following thread about a forum member who had a SIMILAR thing happen

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/gutted-what-to-do.13604/page-4

May be helpful reading for you.
He also bought from Eurovans.
Finally outcome in on page 4

Last edited:
I would take it as is but would expect a refund for the difference in price between a 150 and 204 and then refuse to pay the extra for the 4wd as you didn't ask for that i.e. just pay for a 2wd 150
A 150 has almost the same performance figures as the 180 which everyone raved about until the t6 came out.
Try it before rejecting it. You might save a large amount of money.

agree with Andy post above.
Quote from autoexpress article on the T6 ocean

"All the new engines contribute to an overall sense of refinement bordering on remarkable for what is essentially a diesel van. All three available engines are 2.0-litre TDI diesel units, but outputs are 100bhp, 148bhp or 201bhp – the last of those being the most powerful ever put into a VW van.
But actually, pound-for-pound it’s the 100bhp engine that’s the most impressive, because Volkswagen has tuned it in the spirit of the old Pumpe Duse diesels from the Mk IV Golf era, concentrating all the torque in a thin band near the bottom of the rev range, so there’s instant, flexible pickup.

On that basis the 201bhp engine doesn’t feel twice as powerful, although there’s no denying its turn of pace. As ever, though, the middling 148bhp diesel is the best overall, superbly subdued at lower revs, far punchier than its 14.2-second 0-62mph sprint suggests, and silkily smooth – for a diesel, anyway. All California models are available with a seven-speed DSG automatic, while the two higher-powered engines can be specified with 4Motion four-wheel drive."

We choose the 150 . We did hire 180 T 5. Find the 150 much smoother & quieter to drive . Although others will disagree. We're very happy.

When I had a loan 180 while mine was in for repair for two weeks I was very suprised at how little difference there was between the 180 and my 140.
Depends how you drive it.:D

hmmm... the poster said he ordered fwd - which I read as 4 wheel drive???

Anyway, I agree with others that they should keep it (at VW cost) and wait for their correct vehicle to be delivered.

A 150bhp 4motion was not on the UK market i was thinkng.....
If he got one , i'd keep it....one of a kind!

Demand a replacement to the spec you ordered.

Use the one you have.

Decide the one you have is totally adequate.

Offer to keep it for a deal.... or.... the one you ordered has just arrived... ok then, we'll take that one, for a deal...

Thanks for all of your responses. Have never posted on any forum before, it's quite nice getting responses.

Yes it was front wheel drive that I ordered. I appreciate that the 150 probably offers more than enough torque, especially given that there's plenty of conversions with ~102ps, but given how much I'm stretching myself for a new vehicle, I don't want to compromise. I've never bought a new car before, and never one at this sort of price.

VW have accepted it's their fault, not the dealership. I'm just waiting to hear about the availability of a loan vehicle. I did point out the fact there's a 150 4-motion with nobody's name on it. I find out tomorrow if I get it or another one, or none at all. The problem with the existing van, is someone needs to decide whether it's registered under Eurovans or VW UK. I'm not actually bothered about compensation. I just want a reasonable vehicle to use while I wait the extended time taken for my van to come through.

A replacement order is going through, I was told it can be put through as a priority order, and it should go straight to confirmed build week.

Having lurked on this site for the best part of a year, it's really annoying that my first post isn't one with pictures of us (me, wife and 18month old) happily camping on the west coast of Scotland as per plans.

I agree with HC on this the 150 4wd is not available in the UK. It is a one of a kind and would hold its value better than any other vehicle (unless a 150 4wd is released in the next year or so). There was a thread on this forum just the other week of someone wishing there was a 150 4motion model.

150PS is not a compromise IMHO, I own a 140 SE and have test driven the 204. It's not like they do a 2.0 or 3.0 litre engine size, now that would be a real difference.

OJ1 - don't believe the priority order rigmarole. They told us ours would be a priority order when we had to re-order. I'm pretty sure it came in about the same time as other orders going in at the same time.

Maybe the factory accepted it more quickly but it still went onto the same queue. I think ours took 3 months which was about the normal time at the time wd went through this.

Hope you get things sorted quickly.

I agree with HC on this the 150 4wd is not available in the UK. It is a one of a kind and would hold its value better than any other vehicle (unless a 150 4wd is released in the next year or so). There was a thread on this forum just the other week of someone wishing there was a 150 4motion model.

150PS is not a compromise IMHO, I own a 140 SE and have test driven the 204. It's not like they do a 2.0 or 3.0 litre engine size, now that would be a real difference.

Actually NOT correct we could have ordered 150 manual 4WD Ocean but not 150 DSG 4 WD Ocean. We wanted the 150 DSG so not able to have 4WD. Meoncoast is correct.
We decided the DSG was more important than 4WD.

One other consideration may be seating. The 4WD is a 2 rail system (at least in the UK version) which does not support the 5th seat. I eventually went for fwd partly for this reason as I wanted the option of the 5th seat.

After reading all the replies to your situation , I think you have made the right disision. After all the choices were made right at the start of your order , you and your partner thought for som time over that , now it can't be a compromise!
Hopefully you will be given a demonstrater to fill in , until your actual order arrives. Good luck hopefully it all comes good for you , too much to spend for something that isn't quite right

Not sure it would hold it's value better, if the dealer can't find it listed in Glasses Guide they won't know what to offer and would play it safe and undervalue it. A private buyer may be different though.

I think if I'd set my heart on a 204 then I would not accept a 150. It may well be better/smoother/cheaper but I would always wonder what life would have been like with the more powerful version. I know this because I had a 140 for 4 years and always hankered after the 180! The 140 was adequate but the 180 does have a bit more pep when needed.