Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordered, cancelled, ordered again…

.Billy Ocean.

.Billy Ocean.

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Good afternoon all,

We ordered a Cali Ocean (grey / 150ps) in September 2020 after getting the camping bug thanks to the pandemic. THEN we had a major wobble (are we really camping people, will we use it enough, crikey it’s expensive etc.) so we cancelled the order in December.

Fast forward through some great camping trips in 2021 to August and we were back in the VW dealership ordering another Cali Ocean (white / 204ps)! At the time we understood the waiting time was likely to be 8-10 months… Looking through some of the posts here though it seems that’s waiting times are more likely to be well over a year.

Anyway, here we are in December and getting all wobbly again, same reasons as before but now I’m also concerned about the new electric version - when will it be released, what will the impact be on the dirty diesel etc. Friends have suggested perhaps we buy a second hand van instead, but the prices seem so inflated.

So that’s our intro, looking forward to reading more about everyone’s vans and no doubt posts from people who’ve had similar dilemmas.

It’s expensive yes..
But if it’s affordable ?
It’s a great way of life
Go away at the drop of a hat.
Self contained
Tour Europe (when allows)
Tour all of the uk see places you couldn’t without a camper.
Once you own a camper you will struggle to not own one.
I don’t know how people get on not owning a camper it must be so booring not being able to jump in and go somewhere new for a few nights…
Stick with it life’s short..
As you say the (Dirty diesel) won’t be going anywhere anytime soon .

Good afternoon all,

We ordered a Cali Ocean (grey / 150ps) in September 2020 after getting the camping bug thanks to the pandemic. THEN we had a major wobble (are we really camping people, will we use it enough, crikey it’s expensive etc.) so we cancelled the order in December.

Fast forward through some great camping trips in 2021 to August and we were back in the VW dealership ordering another Cali Ocean (white / 204ps)! At the time we understood the waiting time was likely to be 8-10 months… Looking through some of the posts here though it seems that’s waiting times are more likely to be well over a year.

Anyway, here we are in December and getting all wobbly again, same reasons as before but now I’m also concerned about the new electric version - when will it be released, what will the impact be on the dirty diesel etc. Friends have suggested perhaps we buy a second hand van instead, but the prices seem so inflated.

So that’s our intro, looking forward to reading more about everyone’s vans and no doubt posts from people who’ve had similar dilemmas.
Recent post on here suggesting the MY22 onwards engine can use the new e fuels - 85% lower emissions.
Even if you decide it’s not for you, you’ll be able to sell for a profit.
Keep the faith and follow your instinct, they are fantastic!

Recently read a comment by a Van user who said that his local Dealer had Electric T6.1 Vans as loan/courtesy vehicles but nobody would accept them due to the poor range.

An electric camper is a way off. Night heater electric, induction hob. So electric hookup, little capacity left on a campsite to charge road battery. Fast chargers? campsites using overhead power lines, so not many. Needs a crazy weight of battery to carry 3000 kg vehicle 300 miles. Diesel will not disappear in 2030 or even 2050, because commercial vehicles are essential. These policies are drawn up by politicians who we learn every day are gullible, virtue signalling idiots, driving diesels.

The new 7.0 hybrid is very viable for use with on-board battery for leisure electrics and I will very much be looking forward to their mainstream use in about 5-8 years. For now there isnt the infrastructure to support electric campers, as mentioned earlier.
Right now an EU6 diesel 2017 onward are absolutely brilliant, extremely reliable and come packed with so many features which will easily last well after 2030 and will hold a resell value nicely.
Also, absolutely anything can happen to you between now and then so live for today whilst you have relative youth, health and flexibility. You will lose all of these over time too so dont waste a moment!

Envoyé de mon SM-N950F en utilisant Tapatalk

Stick with the order that you have made. The worst that can happen is that when the vehicle arrives you don't like it. My reckoning is that by late 2022 its resale value will be no less than you have committed to and could possibly be more!

Stick with it.
Our dealer actually said if we cancelled our order, even after it was built, they would be able to sell it straight away for the same if not more.
We picked up in July and wouldn't part with it for anything

I don't read anywhere that you bought a BMW or something in between :rolleyes:;)
Don't buy a new one: you're too wobbly and I want my cali built! :D

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for your replies, it’s much appreciated and interesting to hear people’s thoughts on the electric model.

I think as winter descends and thoughts of camping trips become a distant memory, I lose sight of the reasons we originally wanted to buy a van e.g. to live in the moment, and instead I get bogged down with doom and gloom. This is a good reminder to focus on those positives :)

Thank you all very much for your replies, it’s much appreciated and interesting to hear people’s thoughts on the electric model.

I think as winter descends and thoughts of camping trips become a distant memory, I lose sight of the reasons we originally wanted to buy a van e.g. to live in the moment, and instead I get bogged down with doom and gloom. This is a good reminder to focus on those positives :)
In the winter you might not go camping but you still have a warm, mobile kitchen. We will go out for a few hours just as an excuse to have lunch in the van. You cannot do that when you need to rent one every time.

We debated getting the van for months and months. In the end if it doesn't work for you, just sell it. It isn't like a car in terms of depreciation, so you are highly unlikely to lose any money. Just go for it :thumb

@Buzz61 , winter is the best time to go camping in the Cali. Seriously. It is a fantastic experience. Search for Ski trips on the forum and you will see what I mean.

It is a daily driver and the best vehicle for an impromptu getaway. Every trip becomes and adventure and more weekends than normal become an adventure weekend.

Right now I am in Dublin - decided and booked ferry day-before ... and here I am today, parked in a truckstop and spending the night here in Dublin, before heading to Cliffs of Moher tomorrow and then back home Tuesday evening. don't think I would have been able to afford this flexibility with any other vehicle.

As you had these feelings the same time last year, perhaps you should buy one of these https://lloydspharmacy.com/blogs/vitamins-and-supplement-advice/sad-lamp

Yep. Exactly same as you. Ordered Sep 2020, cancelled Jan 21, ordered again Oct 2021. We got hooked by all the YouTube vids and the lack of being able to do overseas holidays. We possibly rushed into it and after we ordered the reality started to hit. The order delays meant we needed a car so had to buy something else (yes, a BMW @calibusje :D). That is a fab car and I love it. But we’re still sticking with the Cali order this time as luckily our finances are a in a different place.
The diesel thing does not worry me at all. We absolutely can’t wait for the Cali to arrive, later next year fingers crossed.
Stick with it mate and keep me and everyone else company on the Order Delays thread!!!

Yep. Exactly same as you. Ordered Sep 2020, cancelled Jan 21, ordered again Oct 2021. We got hooked by all the YouTube vids and the lack of being able to do overseas holidays. We possibly rushed into it and after we ordered the reality started to hit. The order delays meant we needed a car so had to buy something else (yes, a BMW @calibusje :D). That is a fab car and I love it. But we’re still sticking with the Cali order this time as luckily our finances are a in a different place.
The diesel thing does not worry me at all. We absolutely can’t wait for the Cali to arrive, later next year fingers crossed.
Stick with it mate and keep me and everyone else company on the Order Delays thread!!!
Your timeline is very similar to ours…. And I see you also changed colour for the second order. The more I read, the less concerned I am about the future release of the electric model.

Ah yes the Order Delays thread with 4K posts, think I’ll be having a good read through that over Christmas with a Baileys! I’d like to try and gauge a realistic timescale of when the van may arrive - fingers crossed for 2022.

Your timeline is very similar to ours…. And I see you also changed colour for the second order. The more I read, the less concerned I am about the future release of the electric model.

Ah yes the Order Delays thread with 4K posts, think I’ll be having a good read through that over Christmas with a Baileys! I’d like to try and gauge a realistic timescale of when the van may arrive - fingers crossed for 2022.
Yeah, we still like Mojave but bought the BMW in a similar colour, so wanted something different this time and every image I’ve seen of Fortana looks nice. Hopefully we’ve made the right choice.
Ps. You’ll need a few bottles of Baileys ;)

Recent post on here suggesting the MY22 onwards engine can use the new e fuels - 85% lower emissions.
Even if you decide it’s not for you, you’ll be able to sell for a profit.
Keep the faith and follow your instinct, they are fantastic!
The ability to use e-fuels is good. Unfortunately the current estimate of production of the same is that by 2025 there will only be enough produced to supply 0.1% of the current USA fossil fuel useage.

sorry @PhilR just kidding. Could not resist ;)
Greetings

Good afternoon all,

Gosh, do I know how you feel! But after a few years of our Cali - in very limited range and scope thank you COVID - we have really enjoyed it. Grit your teeth, stick with it and you won’t regret it. There is a reason they are so expensive. Good luck.

T
Good afternoon all,

The worst part of buying a new Cali ,for me was selling our old one.
You dont relise how they get under your skin

The new 7.0 hybrid is very viable for use with on-board battery for leisure electrics and I will very much be looking forward to their mainstream use in about 5-8 years. For now there isnt the infrastructure to support electric campers, as mentioned earlier.
Right now an EU6 diesel 2017 onward are absolutely brilliant, extremely reliable and come packed with so many features which will easily last well after 2030 and will hold a resell value nicely.
Also, absolutely anything can happen to you between now and then so live for today whilst you have relative youth, health and flexibility. You will lose all of these over time too so dont waste a moment!

Envoyé de mon SM-N950F en utilisant Tapatalk
I reckon hydrogen power (ammonia) will make electric vehicles obsolete except for city vehicles (short run). We are just being conditioned by the industry presently because of their investment in electric and the need to recoup that investment. Electric is short term except in cities.

I reckon hydrogen power (ammonia) will make electric vehicles obsolete except for city vehicles (short run). We are just being conditioned by the industry presently because of their investment in electric and the need to recoup that investment. Electric is short term except in cities.
Of course that does not mean an electric motor powered by hydrogen/ammonia power. But I think we have not explored hydrogen combustion engines adequately = yet!

Of course that does not mean an electric motor powered by hydrogen/ammonia power. But I think we have not explored hydrogen combustion engines adequately = yet!
It is only a change of the carb and the tank.
I see no reason why this will not happen and we already have tanks and petrol station infrastructure that exist and easy to convert. We have marched forward with electric batteries without properly thinking it through.