Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

World premiere of the all new Volkswagen California

Do you really think the Euro6 diesel is going to continue being exempt in All the LEZ zones, and in London and elsewhere ANY diesel attracts a premium parking charge already, but not petrol.

How many people need to park their Cali in a LEZ on a regular basis? I suspect the number is very small and that the maths of taking a hit on fuel consumption on a petrol version probably don’t add up for the majority of owners. For those that do the PHEV probably makes more financial sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of days after the reveal, I have to say I agree 95% with the list that campandfly came up with in post 260. The extra length is a real downer, I use my T6 as a car and a van so I'm often parking it in normal size spaces, I just know that extra 30cm or whatever it is will be a constant annoyance. It's clever that it has a sliding door each side, but wouldn't make much practical difference for me. The hybrid is nice, I suppose I'd really like a 6.2 with a hybrid petrol and a mild interior refresh in an ideal world.

How many people need to park their Cali in a LEZ on a regular basis? I suspect the number is very small and that the maths of taking a hit on fuel consumption on a petrol version probably don’t add up for the majority of owners. For those that do the PHEV probably makes more financial sense.

I’m working on the assumption the number of LEZs (and their radius) will increase during the ownership of my next vehicle.

Nothing to do with parking in a LEZ. You don’t pay the LEZ charge unless you move the vehicle. But some depend on Residents Parking Permits and Councils charge for them and are now charging a Premium for a diesel vehicle.

Also Diesel is now more expensive than petrol so adding in the numerous LEZ charges that are likely to expand + diesel parking premiums then the costs may well negate the difference in fuel efficiency, oh and don’t forget the increased running costs such as AdBlue and the more complicated diesel engineering to manage the diesel particulates.

Once upon a time it was simple to compare. Those days are long gone.

Also Diesel is now more expensive than petrol
Not on the continent. Diesel is considerably cheaper, gives better fuel economy, better torque numbers which benefit towing and general low rev performance. Dpf is an effective technology for controlling particulates. In a TSI engine it just accumulates and gets progressively worse eventually requires head off decarbonisation operation. Luckily not until 80+k miles. Diesel isn’t all bad and for most preferable.

Nothing to do with parking in a LEZ. You don’t pay the LEZ charge unless you move the vehicle. But some depend on Residents Parking Permits and Councils charge for them and are now charging a Premium for a diesel vehicle.
RDE2 diesels are exempt from these parking surcharges, certainly in Hackney, and of course for ULEZ too for now. Who knows what the future holds, but I suppose they could just as easily legislate for carbon emissions in the future - which are higher from petrol.
I can't decide whether to swap the 6.1 for a 7. I'll probably stick with the 6.1 whilst my daughter's still at home and see how things go with the 7, but the 7 looks like a tasty future prospect when its just me and the Mrs in about 5 years time.
So I was interested in your petrol decision, given you cover high miles, and diesel is considered more durable and has better fuel economy. Amazing mpg figures for the new multivan - can the PHEV really return 188mpg?! Sounds like its just another £1000 for that over the 204hp petrol, so the fuel savings should soon cover that. But I can't plug in at home, so I'm sure that would affect the mpg, and I wonder if that would make the PHEV unsuitable for me.

It's good though, something needed to be done, the current Cali is just a converted builders van and its starting to show.

But that was always its attraction for T2, T25, T4, T5, T6. The load space is designed to maximise loading space, hence ideal as a camper base. LWB vans were designed as they can carry 8x4 sheets of plaster board etc in the back and still carry 3 people,

Once you change the base vehicle to MPV, you lose the space as it's a compromise.

Strange:
new cali is 4cm (almost 2 inches) wider than T6.1 without mirrors and 5cm (2inches) narrower with the mirrors. Does the new model have wide hips and a narrow waist?
T6.1= 1900 mm without and 2300 mm with mirrors.
1715620821457.png

Free
Strange:
new cali is 4cm (almost 2 inches) wider than T6.1 without mirrors and 5cm (2inches) narrower with the mirrors. Does the new model have wide hips and a narrow waist?
T6.1= 1900 mm without and 2300 mm with mirrors.
View attachment 123298
Interesting stats. Pity they've employed reverse TARDIS technology on the inside.

RDE2 diesels are exempt from these parking surcharges, certainly in Hackney, and of course for ULEZ too for now. Who knows what the future holds, but I suppose they could just as easily legislate for carbon emissions in the future - which are higher from petrol.
I can't decide whether to swap the 6.1 for a 7. I'll probably stick with the 6.1 whilst my daughter's still at home and see how things go with the 7, but the 7 looks like a tasty future prospect when its just me and the Mrs in about 5 years time.
So I was interested in your petrol decision, given you cover high miles, and diesel is considered more durable and has better fuel economy. Amazing mpg figures for the new multivan - can the PHEV really return 188mpg?! Sounds like its just another £1000 for that over the 204hp petrol, so the fuel savings should soon cover that. But I can't plug in at home, so I'm sure that would affect the mpg, and I wonder if that would make the PHEV unsuitable for me.
I’m sure if you did lots of school runs and popping down to the shops, most of those trips would be on battery, hence an astounding mpg.
Wonder what the mpg would be if you did long runs 2-300 miles mostly powered by the petrol engine.
Today I covered 310 miles and tomorrow about 290.

So I was interested in your petrol decision, given you cover high miles, and diesel is considered more durable and has better fuel economy. Amazing mpg figures for the new multivan - can the PHEV really return 188mpg?! Sounds like it’s just another £1000 for that over the 204hp petrol, so the fuel savings should soon cover that. But I can't plug in at home, so I'm sure that would affect the mpg, and I wonder if that would make the PHEV unsuitable for me.
Yes, Euro6 is presently exempt, but do you really think all those councils and the London Mayor, who like having this extra revenue without increasing Council Tax are going to pat themselves on the back as motorists change/ upgrade their vehicles to be compliant and revenue starts falling again.
Their argument is based on PM 2.5 particles and NO from diesel engines. They’ll just move the goalposts and start charging Euro 6 vehicles. They are not going to lose that revenue stream.

Not on the continent. Diesel is considerably cheaper, gives better fuel economy, better torque numbers which benefit towing and general low rev performance. Dpf is an effective technology for controlling particulates. In a TSI engine it just accumulates and gets progressively worse eventually requires head off decarbonisation operation. Luckily not until 80+k miles. Diesel isn’t all bad and for most preferable.
Depends on your driving requirements. Plenty of cases of short journeys leading to significant problems and costs due to failing DPFs, not to mention AdBlue problems.

As I’m entering my twilight years and the possibility of less long distance trips I like the idea of putting up 2 fingers to all these council LEZ money making schemes that do nothing for public transport and pay the exorbitant wages of council management and if a a TSI has to be decoked every 80,000 miles it probably will still spend less time in the garage.

Oh, and by the way, no one else has to buy a TSI, they can stick to diesel. Their choice. Mine is a TSI or a proper hybrid, but VW only seem to offer a half baked hybrid, because I don’t tow anymore, and we are minimalist campers rather than maximamilist ( if there is such a word ) campers.

But that was always its attraction for T2, T25, T4, T5, T6. The load space is designed to maximise loading space, hence ideal as a camper base. LWB vans were designed as they can carry 8x4 sheets of plaster board etc in the back and still carry 3 people,

Once you change the base vehicle to MPV, you lose the space as it's a compromise.
And the boot floor isn’t even flat which compromises it’s hauling credentials even more

Depends on your driving requirements. Plenty of cases of short journeys leading to significant problems and costs due to failing DPFs, not to mention AdBlue problems.

As I’m entering my twilight years and the possibility of less long distance trips I like the idea of putting up 2 fingers to all these council LEZ money making schemes that do nothing for public transport and pay the exorbitant wages of council management and if a a TSI has to be decoked every 80,000 miles it probably will still spend less time in the garage.

Oh, and by the way, no one else has to buy a TSI, they can stick to diesel. Their choice. Mine is a TSI or a proper hybrid, but VW only seem to offer a half baked hybrid, because I don’t tow anymore, and we are minimalist campers rather than maximamilist ( if there is such a word ) campers.

I don’t know about other schemes but all of the money from the LEZ and ULEZ goes into the Public Transport budget in Greater London.

I don’t know about other schemes but all of the money from the LEZ and ULEZ goes into the Public Transport budget in Greater London.

Of course it does, and the TFL management staff bonuses for just doing the job.

Given the new offering is based on a car chassis, will this vehicle be sold and serviced by VW Cars as opposed to VW Commercial vehicles?

do you really think all those councils and the London Mayor, who like having this extra revenue without increasing Council Tax are going to pat themselves on the back as motorists change/ upgrade their vehicles to be compliant and revenue starts falling again.
Like I said, who knows, but the PHEV is more likely to remain exempt than the petrol, so I was just looking to understand your petrol-only reasoning.

Of course it does, and the TFL management staff bonuses for just doing the job.

Retired man looking to spend £80-100k on a leisure vehicle begrudges TFL staff being paid bonuses…

Retired man looking to spend £80-100k on a leisure vehicle begrudges TFL staff being paid bonuses…

For doing their job?

And what exactly is being Retired or looking to spend a £100 grand that I’ve accumulated over the years got to do with it? Jealousy maybe?

Like I said, who knows, but the PHEV is more likely to remain exempt than the petrol, so I was just looking to understand your petrol-only reasoning.
It’s more complicated , it has a measly range , you won’t be able charge it when pitched up unless campsites upgrade their systems. You’re carrying around 4 batteries, 1 engine, 2x leisure and the EV battery. If touring and you want to maximise your mpg not only will you have to fill up with petrol but charge the EV battery as well. Life is too short , fill up and go.
If you use it daily for short trips and can charge at home maybe it would work for some.

Now a self charging Hybrid would benefit the long distance driver but that’s not what is on offer.

And a PHEV stored for 6 months each year, as some do, might be problematic as well.

I think the KISS principle should apply to Campervans, full EV, petrol or diesel.

For doing their job?

And what exactly is being Retired or looking to spend a £100 grand that I’ve accumulated over the years got to do with it? Jealousy maybe?
Performance related pay is hardly new and being rewarded for doing a job well is surely a good thing especially in the public sector? Do have an inside line on TFL HR records and therefore can justify your sneering comments on staff remuneration? A quick look at public records suggests many/most TFL management/staff are paid below private sector market rate.

Do you live in London, as you are retired I assume you don’t work there? You seem to be one of those people who have strong views on how the capital is run fed by media propaganda? The majority of people who actually live in London actually approve of TFL and mayoral transport policies as evidenced by the recent election where the incumbent actually increased his share of the vote.

For the record I don’t and never have worked for TFL, I do have 30 years experience in public transport though. I have worked with and met a vanishingly few freeloading Snr Managers both the public and private sectors in mass transit but the vast majority are honest, hard working and do a good job often in difficult circumstances.

I respect your accumulated knowledge on all things VW California and your willingness to share it with the community. You are quick to challenge others views, I’m merely challenging yours. Stones and glass houses?

As for jealousy, I am looking forward to retirement and spending even more time in the van but that’s as far as it goes I’m afraid!

Performance related pay is hardly new and being rewarded for doing a job well is surely a good thing especially in the public sector? Do have an inside line on TFL HR records and therefore can justify your sneering comments on staff remuneration? A quick look at public records suggests many/most TFL management/staff are paid below private sector market rate.

Do you live in London, as you are retired I assume you don’t work there? You seem to be one of those people who have strong views on how the capital is run fed by media propaganda? The majority of people who actually live in London actually approve of TFL and mayoral transport policies as evidenced by the recent election where the incumbent actually increased his share of the vote.

For the record I don’t and never have worked for TFL, I do have 30 years experience in public transport though. I have worked with and met a vanishingly few freeloading Snr Managers both the public and private sectors in mass transit but the vast majority are honest, hard working and do a good job often in difficult circumstances.

I respect your accumulated knowledge on all things VW California and your willingness to share it with the community. You are quick to challenge others views, I’m merely challenging yours. Stones and glass houses?

As for jealousy, I am looking forward to retirement and spending even more time in the van but that’s as far as it goes I’m afraid!

No I don’t live in London but have many friends and relatives that live within the M25 LEZ zone who had no say in its implementation and no benefit regarding public transport from the vast sums raised. I’m quite happy to pay the LEZ charge to visit them frequently but do object to paying for inflated salaries and bonus payments to unaccountable employees of a public body . None should be paid more than an accountable government, any government, minister for just doing their job.

Oh, and No Media Hype but direct from the horses mouth, in this case TFL

Back