Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

World premiere of the all new Volkswagen California

Agree, the latter.

However much I try to like the new Multivan California, I keep coming back to one snag…

It’s 27cm longer than the T6. That may not sound a lot, but for on-street parking in London it makes quite a difference. It will also overhang car park bays by another 27cm more than the T6, which already sticks out a bit, although you can still get away with it. :(

What I’ve yet to understand is if there are 4 electric motors powering all 4 wheels or just the rears with the 1.4L ice powering the fronts.
It’s the latter I’d guess. But the Multivan eHybrid loaner had a graphic on the infotainment screen showing the underfloor batteries sending power to the rear wheels, so I’m guessing that too is 4wd in Hybrid mode. Wonder what the “new system” is then? Maybe just bigger batteries

It’s the latter I’d guess. But the Multivan eHybrid loaner had a graphic on the infotainment screen showing the underfloor batteries sending power to the rear wheels, so I’m guessing that too is 4wd in Hybrid mode. Wonder what the “new system” is then? Maybe just bigger batteries
What happens after 30 + miles. Do you lose the 4 wheel drive system?

Ah. The outdoor table stored in the boot can in fact also be used as the indoor dining table:

So it’s not as silly as it looked in the first videos. You don’t just get a tiny indoor table. There a tiny indoor table + an indoor/outdoor full-side table.
why not keep the table stored inside the sliding door as in T6/T6.1 , which can also be used inside/outside and does not take up valuable space in the boot. You can access it from inside too without leaving the car and opening the boot in winter/rain.

What happens after 30 + miles. Do you lose the 4 wheel drive system?

Yes, you do lose the electric power and it just reverts to the petrol engine automatically. The car does do a little bit of brake regeneration while driving to put some charge back in the batteries but this charge is only then used when moving off from a standstill (it’s pretty quick!) But it doesn’t recharge the batteries per se for pure electric driving - you have to plug the car in to a charger for that.

I borrowed a 230v home charging lead from a friend, it took 7hrs to fully recharge the batteries - on a dedicated 7kw home wall charger it takes 2hrs.

Yes, you do lose the electric power and it just reverts to the petrol engine automatically. The car does do a little bit of brake regeneration while driving to put some charge back in the batteries but this charge is only then used when moving off from a standstill (it’s pretty quick!) But it doesn’t recharge the batteries per se for pure electric driving - you have to plug the car in to a charger for that.

I borrowed a 230v home charging lead from a friend, it took 7hrs to fully recharge the batteries - on a dedicated 7kw home wall charger it takes 2hrs.
That was my understanding too, several pages back, from having seen other brand YouTube reviews.

I believe the new Defender PHEV is similar - nominal regen, but once the battery is drained it’s dead-weight til you’ve charged it again on mains.

The novelty of full-electric trips would no doubt wear off, so I’m interested in what real world battery life is like using it only as hybrid boost supporting the petrol engine.

Think I'll keep to my original decision. Tsi.

why not keep the table stored inside the sliding door as in T6/T6.1 , which can also be used inside/outside and does not take up valuable space in the boot. You can access it from inside too without leaving the car and opening the boot in winter/rain.
This is what I thought as well, but as it turns out, there is a solid reason. The Multivan has reinforcements inside the sliding doors to give passengers better protection in the event of a crash. The space just isn't there anymore for the table.

That was my understanding too, several pages back, from having seen other brand YouTube reviews.

I believe the new Defender PHEV is similar - nominal regen, but once the battery is drained it’s dead-weight til you’ve charged it again on mains.

The novelty of full-electric trips would no doubt wear off, so I’m interested in what real world battery life is like using it only as hybrid boost supporting the petrol engine.
Whilst the Ice is working it is also charging the EV batteries via the high power output alternator.

Whilst the Ice is working it is also charging the EV batteries via the high power output alternator.
That would be best case scenario. Makes no sense getting phev for a campervan that’s away from home base with such minimal bev only range. I rather not spend my hols searching for charge stations or being obliged to find campsites with electric hookups. Relying on the 1.4L ICE to pull a ~3t vehicle is less than ideal over long distances.

Not all negative though….I like the easier removal of seats and bed to make a useful van … Does anyone know if it possible to add two extra travel seats in the new ocean? having a six seater when not camping would be handy.

Not all negative though….I like the easier removal of seats and bed to make a useful van … Does anyone know if it possible to add two extra travel seats in the new ocean? having a six seater when not camping would be handy.
That would interest me as well. My thinking is that the rails are already in place and the seats exist, so why not? The answer is probably payload limits, which according to the VW presentation, is "similar to the T6.1 Ocean" and around 360Kg. However, 5 passengers at 70Kg each (the driver is included in curb weight) and the 2 extra seats add up to 350 + 50 Kg. This could be a problem with registration and insurance. The best solution in the VW universe is probably a Beach Tourer with after market kitchen units for when you actually need them.

That would interest me as well. My thinking is that the rails are already in place and the seats exist, so why not? The answer is probably payload limits, which according to the VW presentation, is "similar to the T6.1 Ocean" and around 360Kg. However, 5 passengers at 70Kg each (the driver is included in curb weight) and the 2 extra seats add up to 350 + 50 Kg. This could be a problem with registration and insurance. The best solution in the VW universe is probably a Beach Tourer with after market kitchen units for when you actually need them.
The registration document will dictate the maximum number of seats. My T6 Beach has the 2-seat bench, but it is still classed as a 7 seater. Would take a lot of reconfiguration to achieve that though!

The registration document will dictate the maximum number of seats. My T6 Beach has the 2-seat bench, but it is still classed as a 7 seater. Would take a lot of reconfiguration to achieve that though!
It takes me about five minutes to take out the storage units on my 2-seater beach. i then add two more single seats and i have a six seater in less then 10 minutes. Changing the two seat bench to a three seater would be a bigger job though. those things are very heavy.

It's nice, if you like that sort of thing.
More of a car that you can take camping than a camper that you can use as a car.
Probably not for us, since we often think of upgrading to a bigger van rather than a smaller one.

It's good though, something needed to be done, the current Cali is just a converted builders van and its starting to show.

Like the sound of a TSI petrol.

Do wonder if it will hold the same 'cachet' on the campsite as the current California, I know we all secretly snigger when we see someone pull up in a converted berlingo.

However much I try to like the new Multivan California, I keep coming back to one snag…

It’s 27cm longer than the T6. That may not sound a lot, but for on-street parking in London it makes quite a difference. It will also overhang car park bays by another 27cm more than the T6, which already sticks out a bit, although you can still get away with it. :(
This extra length means it won’t fit in my garage so it’s a no from me.

minimally, though maybe more on some roads than the test below done on motorway.

As it’d be inconvenient for me to mains charge regularly at home I’ll keep my fingers crossed now they don’t overprice the TSI.

Why not diesel?
longevity for me - ‘feels’ more likely the legislation will restrict diesels sooner?

this is a fork-in-the-road for me; whether to swap my 8-year old T6 now whilst it’s still worth a third of its replacement, or drive it til the wheels fall off until hopefully the whole ICE / EV / hybrid thing is clearer.

Last edited:
Why not diesel?
Do you really think the Euro6 diesel is going to continue being exempt in All the LEZ zones, and in London and elsewhere ANY diesel attracts a premium parking charge already, but not petrol.

Back