Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

World premiere of the all new Volkswagen California

I’ve just watched the late brake YouTube and really like the new cali! Especially the two tone blue/white not normally a fan of two tone unless it’s dark colours. Looks great.

If I was in the market for a poptop would definitely look/buy one if price isn’t stupid.
Single hob isn’t an issue as always carry a small camping stove as back up for 907 runout.
Twin sliders look great perfect for laying in bed and having both doors open breeze and views for both of you.
Also heat the rear seats come out super quick and only needing one. So imagine bike may fit in nicely.

Storage bag for clothes is a good idea as Vanessa bags are a proven success.

Only thing I can see issues with is place to store food and pans/plates etc.
I think it’s going to be less things and use backpacking stuff.

Would happily go on a month long travel in one if VW are reading this and show all you negative nannies it’s do able and enjoyable.

Embrace change :thumb

I’ve just watched the late brake YouTube and really like the new cali! Especially the two tone blue/white not normally a fan of two tone unless it’s dark colours. Looks great.

If I was in the market for a poptop would definitely look/buy one if price isn’t stupid.
Single hob isn’t an issue as always carry a small camping stove as back up for 907 runout.
Twin sliders look great perfect for laying in bed and having both doors open breeze and views for both of you.
Also heat the rear seats come out super quick and only needing one. So imagine bike may fit in nicely.

Would happily go on a month long travel in one if VW are reading this and show all you negative nannies it’s do able and enjoyable.

Good luck. We eagerly await your report back.

By your definition it suits the '60's Hippie minimalist era and encourages others to up size to the Grand.

New%20Volkswagen%20California%202024-11.jpg

"Two hopes, and Bob's in America" as my Grandfather used to say ... :talktothehand
Have you seen the meme, ugh brother. Brother, ugh .
This.

New%20Volkswagen%20California%202024-11.jpg

"Two hopes, and Bob's in America" as my Grandfather used to say ... :talktothehand

Plenty of room for a porta potty. You will need to be quite flexible.
Toilet yoga…

:upsidedown
#vwaheadofthegame

I suppose they decided to go for a really comfortable family car that you can also occasionally camp in. Until we get the chance to drive it we can’t really evaluate it fully. I love my T6.1 but I miss my 5 series for long non camping journeys and it feels odd taking a van for quick trip to the shops. My wife’s little run around isn’t great for long journeys so we have ordered a Volvo XC40 as our day to day car. That’s 40k that possibly would not have been spent if the new California really worked as our main day to day car? That being said I like the feeling of going camping in a van (it feels different and fun vs the day to day use of a car) plus we always mange to fill the wardrobe and the bench drawer with clothes so someone would have to decide what to wear before we set off!!!

Good luck. We eagerly await your report back.
Can’t see vw giving one to me as I’m no YouTuber love my peaceful lifestyle to much to do that!
I like the caddy cali too.

If westfalia can have 200 models it’s about time VW brought out some more choice caddy/buzz/multi/GC/t6.1 and hopeful a SWB and LWB on the Ford base VW partnership (T7) poptop and hightops.

Can’t see vw giving one to me as I’m no YouTuber love my peaceful lifestyle to much to do that!
I like the caddy cali too.

If westfalia can have 200 models it’s about time VW brought out some more choice caddy/buzz/multi/GC/t6.1 and hopeful a SWB and LWB on the Ford base VW partnership (T7) poptop and hightops.
I think if the wife and I were in the market in august for a VW camper , wanting a daily drive, it would now be a pair of his and her caddies.

Promise me you don’t actually sit on a potty and have a dump while your other half is lying there watching you? I’ve always believed the secret of a successful relationship is separate bathrooms.
I don’t have an other half.

I am not attracted to this new model

• Extra length = more tricky with parking and sticking out in most regular parking bays. Also as mentioned by BJG above cost more on ferries and for some garage space.
  • If the van has more weight going to be harder on tyres which my van already is. Not sure if clearance has been reduced on the new one.
  • The fridge is a definite step back IMO. In hot weather every time you open that fridge all your cold air is lost through the sides. Not to mention we can no longer make ice for the G &T.
  • I like my rear bench seat for lounging and the 2 single seats would not be as comfortable.
  • Lower bed is narrower I believe.
  • In general it appears there is Less storage and losing that big drawer under the bench seat is a big loss. Also don't like the configuration of the rear storage.
  • Whopping price tag so maybe insurance will also be much higher.
  • Single burner is also a step back as when on long trips we often use 2 burners.
  • Lots of Cali owners have been on this Forum with minor and some quite expensive repair and maintenance issues. IMO making a vehicle more complex and not focusing at least a little more on increasing reliability and durability is a negative.
  • Double doors this could be advantageous to some with passengers and creating a larger footprint for camping. But on many campsites it would not be practical to use. Its also is another door to go wrong and has probably added to the cost of producing the van.
  • All the touch screens. I do love gadgets but again more complexity and cost built in and when you are a long way from home and it fails its a major problem.
  • Have not watched all the videos but where are the 2 big tables now? I definitely would not want to lose the inside one for dining indoors when the weather is poor.
  • "I will probably update the list above as more info comes available"
To try to end on a positive note

If a there is a major fuel saving with the Hybrid Engine that would be cool.
The no handbrake and gear lever in the cab is also cool.
I will also in time have a look around and see other positives.

It would really have been nice if VW execs had come out and said we have been listening to our Cali owners/customers and addressed the common failure/reliability/durability issues by upgrading and refining the following.

This list could be endless for eg. I am sure if you have owned a Cali for a while you will be able to add your own to this list.
  • Roof sagging
  • Roof Corrosion
In the end if new Cali owners go ahead and buy one I do wish they all enjoy their new Cali lifestyle because even with the niggles its still an amazing adventure for us and we love it.

If the electric range of the hybrid is over 50 miles as one of the videos claims, that would put it at 5% BIK for company car purchases. That's potentially quite a big market segment that the current California's aren't in.

I’m afraid it would be a hard no for me. In every practical way, it is a retro grade step for the way I use my van. Loss of storage is a major factor. Far less under kitchen storage, no/far less under seat storage, loss of the wardrobe, rear “boot” space looks far narrower. Also, loss of the sliding inside table that I find massively convenient, no room for the dog when the bed is down, it’s now over 5m for less usable space (issues with parking and ferry travel).

I think the big winners here are the converters who can now easily convert both Transit and Transporters and offer something genuinely different to the California. If I ever get round to replacing my van, that will be the route I would go.

All IMHO obviously!

Last edited:
I’m afraid it would be a hard no for me. In every practical way, it is a retro grade step for the way I use my van. Loss of storage is a major factor. Far less under kitchen storage, no/far less under seat storage, loss of the wardrobe, rear “boot” space looks far narrower. Also, loss of the sliding inside table that I find massively convenient, no room for the dog when the bed is down, it’s now over 5m for less usable space (issues with parking and ferry travel).

I think the big winners here are the converters who can now easily convert both Transit and Transporters and offer we something genuinely different to the California. If I ever get round to replacing my van, that will be the route I would go.

All IMHO obviously!
Forgot to mention the single gas ring. As someone said, now have to choose between a cuppa and a bacon butty, rice or curry, pasta or sauce. The compromises that have been made to accommodate a second sliding door are too much (for me).

Last edited:
I suppose they decided to go for a really comfortable family car that you can also occasionally camp in. Until we get the chance to drive it we can’t really evaluate it fully. I love my T6.1 but I miss my 5 series for long non camping journeys and it feels odd taking a van for quick trip to the shops. My wife’s little run around isn’t great for long journeys so we have ordered a Volvo XC40 as our day to day car. That’s 40k that possibly would not have been spent if the new California really worked as our main day to day car? That being said I like the feeling of going camping in a van (it feels different and fun vs the day to day use of a car) plus we always mange to fill the wardrobe and the bench drawer with clothes so someone would have to decide what to wear before we set off!!!

Having had a loan Multivan Hybrid recently for a couple of weeks, I must say it drove beautifully. Comfortable and handled very well indeed The electric range however was rubbish, but I think the new Cali has a slightly different hybrid system.

Can anyone point me to a video where they pull any internal blinds down (other than the tailgate)? Looks like the windscreen ones have gone but I can’t see if the side/door windows have still got blinds. I’m assuming they have?

Here is an interesting feature comparison for all the models. It's in German but can easily be translated to English via most browsers.

Interestingly, and contrary to what I argued in an earlier post regarding the leisure batteries likely being AGM, these guys are claiming 40Ah LiFePo batteries (1 or 2 depending on model). Hopefully true but I couldn't find any corroborating statements from VW.

https://www.vw-bulli.de/geschichten...hjl7xKO-NHuH_NSbqAqr-p2ES-_82wxwzHWsqABTfPloa

Can anyone point me to a video where they pull any internal blinds down (other than the tailgate)? Looks like the windscreen ones have gone but I can’t see if the side/door windows have still got blinds. I’m assuming they have?
One of the German presenters shows him pulling down a side window blind. Seems to have less friction than current one. Bit like the rear tail blind with more retraction energy.

Having had a loan Multivan Hybrid recently for a couple of weeks, I must say it drove beautifully. Comfortable and handled very well indeed The electric range however was rubbish, but I think the new Cali has a slightly different hybrid system.
What I’ve yet to understand is if there are 4 electric motors powering all 4 wheels or just the rears with the 1.4L ice powering the fronts.

What I’ve yet to understand is if there are 4 electric motors powering all 4 wheels or just the rears with the 1.4L ice powering the fronts.

I believe it’s the latter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back