Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

Isn’t it a crazy world we live in. We’ve deployed tech in every aspect of car security. Which has ended up making them more vulnerable in many ways.

At least with manual locks someone had to have a bit of cahones to risk being spotted smashing a window or using a rod to pop the locks. Not much of a deterrent in Toxteth, but might help in Central London.

Now a couple of thieves can loiter quietly with transponders and make off with an £150k RR in minutes.

And for the convenience of keyless entry/start, I need to lock my keys in a Farraday box when I get home. I suppose no different to a key rack. But, still paradoxical.

Paraboxical?
Having a BearLock on a Range Rover would be added security.

Noted. But I guess that speaks to the point.

I have high tech. So I don’t even need to take my keys out of my pocket.

But I need a manual key lock to secure it.

It’s like going back to the 90s joy riding era where I needed a steering lock to brace it.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Noted. But I guess that speaks to the point.

I have high tech. So I don’t even need to take my keys out of my pocket.

But I need a manual key lock to secure it.

It’s like going back to the 90s joy riding era where I needed a steering lock to brace it.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I’m reminded of an old Scouse story. When you park in Liverpool near Anfield on match day you are besieged by young Scalleys asking for “a pound to watch your car mate?” One guy in an expensive Range-rover replies “no need, I’ve got a Rottweiler in the back”. The kid snaps back “can it put out fires?” He paid the pound…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So the Bearlock key and ignition key are kept together especially when driving?
The bearlock key will be stuck in the bearlock when driving. Otherwise you can not drive. The iginition key will be stuck in iginition while driving. Otherwise you can not drive. If you are referring to where both keys are when travelling but not literally driving at that moment, then in my case they are together, yes. You do not leave the bear lock key in the lock, that would defeat the purpose of the lock. You can carry them in two different pockets if you prefer, but you're gonna need both to be able to drive.

The bearlock key will be stuck in the bearlock when driving. Otherwise you can not drive. The iginition key will be stuck in iginition while driving. Otherwise you can not drive. If you are referring to where both keys are when travelling but not literally driving at that moment, then in my case they are together, yes. You do not leave the bear lock key in the lock, that would defeat the purpose of the lock. You can carry them in two different pockets if you prefer, but you're gonna need both to be able to drive.

The bearlock key can be removed in either the locked or unlocked position. You can also lock it without the key. Obviously the key is needed to unlock it.

Ok, this thread obviously got a few more responses since I last saw it ;-)

Never thought about the fact that keeping the 2 keys together poses a risk. When I think about it now I do agree it does. But no more then having just a single ignition key. There's not really any other way to keep them if you want to be able to drive the van though. So yes, the bearlock doesn't protect your Cali from getting stolen when the thieves target your keys (while on a trip).

It does however help when car thieves target the Cali when you are not near your vehicle. Or when they target your keys when you are at home and you store the keys seperately. And it might deter them from trying (when you are not around) because it would take a lot more time and noise to steal it.

In NL (at least at my insurer) it's not mandatory at all, but they do give you a discount on your monthly insurance costs.

I’m reminded of an old Scouse story. When you park in Liverpool near Anfield on match day you are besieged by young Scalleys asking for “a pound to watch your car mate?” One guy in an expensive Range-rover replies “no need, I’ve got a Rottweiler in the back”. The kid snaps back “can it put out fires?”

This is priceless. It even made my wife laugh.

First time since 2008.

I could be off the mark, but I got the impression that what @WelshGas was referring to was a post way back in the thread about how people kept the BL keys safe. Something along the lines of:

“One at home, one on the wife, and one on the key ring with the Cali key”

I’m not invested in this as such, but I thought the point being made was if you misplaced your keys (BL & Cali together), it renders the BL redundant?

Whereas if a thief had your BL key they couldn’t start the Cali without the Cali key.

Ramble over. I’m all for peace of mind. Whatever works for you works.

Last edited:
Hello,

This is my "train of thoughts":

Security is always a compromise between security on one side and convenience / practicality on the other sie - it doesn't matter what it is (house, car, computer etc.).

You could make it so secure that it is very difficult for the user to actually use it - but hey, it is secure.
This bears a risk. Because if it is not convenience / practicality the user would not use it and turn something secure in something very unsecure.

Because of this a compromise needs to be found to ensure that security is user friendly and practical, even if it means that the security is, well, less secure. But in this case the user will use it and therefore increase the security.

I don't have a bear lock, but I have the Pandora Camper Mini installed. Part of this is that a "token" has to be present before the car starts. I am rather happy with that. Why?

Because whenever I am not with the camper it is rather difficult to start the car (and I am sure modern car thieves have their ways around the standard car manufacturers security setup).

Do I have the "token" and the car keys together, yes sometimes - but not always. This increases the security.

Of course the Pandora Alarm can do so much more, the main thing is that it is convenient for me to use and because of this I use it. With this I can achieve at least 80 % or more security. That is good enough for me. It is possible to increase the security but 1.) this will cost a good bit of money and 2.) it won't be that convenience / practicality.

Therefore I think bear lock is a good way to increase the security of the camper, but it is not 100%, which make sense because 100% security is not possible.

Reasonably secured Grand California
Eberhard

I bought this today to sit on the SpaceMate: Link. Might go for two, depending on size, quality, fit etc.

I bought this today to sit on the SpaceMate: Link. Might go for two, depending on size, quality, fit etc.
These would be useful in the main cabin. I like having regularly used bits and pieces on the floor outside the cupboards

Which size did you go for
Large.

The Standard is an good size, but the more pockets, the better. However, the xlarge's footprint is so large that you cant fit larger rigid items on the SpaceMate (portapotti/cadac etc) not fitting. Large seems to be a good middleground - one half storage box, one half cadac/portapotti

Bought some wood, made some stuff. The drawer has a set of small wheels, it runs nicely. Need to create a small lock (no not a Bearlock again) to keep it in place in case of a hard stop. For now we use a small rubber wedge to stop it from wondering around.
The front seat box is nice, you can stand on it, big enough for my binoculars, loads of hicking maps etc.
Almost ready for our trip in March, cant wait to get out and about

20240222_134623.jpg

20240222_134607.jpg

20240222_134613.jpg

20240222_134539.jpg

20240222_134549.jpg

Bought some wood, made some stuff. The drawer has a set of small wheels, it runs nicely. Need to create a small lock (no not a Bearlock again) to keep it in place in case of a hard stop. For now we use a small rubber wedge to stop it from wondering around.
The front seat box is nice, you can stand on it, big enough for my binoculars, loads of hicking maps etc.

View attachment 119589

View attachment 119590

View attachment 119591

View attachment 119592

View attachment 119593
I’m always envious of people that can just buy some wood and make stuff!

I agree , as long as the 2 keys are not kept together.
As used by @Webbah_in_Switzerland .
So, I do keep them apart; or not. Why do you care? So according to you, no one should walk around with their car keys in their pocket anymore because they could be stolen and the cali will be gone (it's either that or on a low loader, you said). Is this with the ignition key alone or the bearlock included, all the same for you. Look, a mechanical theft protection does make sense with a Cali. It has nothing to do with your keyless cars that you keep complaining about. You keep going until you think you've convinced everyone else, but you won't convince me so don't bother. I see that you agree and give thumbs up to people with a bearlock. Same as I have, but with me you start to nag again . So it's clearly me who you're targeting. Leave it. I have seen a lot of posts from you (a lot!) and read correct ones and sometimes completely false ones. That is something you still have to learn: not everything you say is correct and you are not the only one with information here. Take a break and enjoy your California; I do it daily.

Last edited:
Guys, what has this got to do with "what have you bought for your Cali today"? It is one of my favorite threads normally. Lots of great ideas for our lovely vans. We seemed to have moved into a discussion on security.
Thank @WelshGas for that. I do can an may and will post here. I don’t need Welshgas’ nagging.

Can we have a “this is getting boring” button?
Thank @WelshGas for that. I do can an may and will post here. I don’t need Welshgas’ nagging.
He is the poster of almost 24,500 posts, the majority of which are simply imposing his sameness on others. He does not have much more information than others here, but many regard him as a beacon of knowledge. I'm not going to let myself be bullied again like others have done before. Let's all side with him again.
I just wanted to report that I had a bearlock placed and that is the trigger for him to impose his right on me again. What a guy!

Last edited:

View attachment 119589

View attachment 119590

View attachment 119591

View attachment 119592

View attachment 119593
I especially like the drawer you made under the bench seat. nice! Might copy that idea.

Back