Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

The whole idea is NOT to leave it unattended. Its light enough to carry into a shop or restaurant. Slots nicely next to one of my Really Useful boxes under the parcel shelf so out of view.
Sweet, I’ve heard they are really liked by our meathead population.

My new Cali tender. Just collected after a 3 month wait. Amazing piece of engineering to get a proper bike into such small volume. And only 7.45kg.

View attachment 119455
I used mine for my first trip this year in my Cali, they're amazingly versatile bits of kit. Amazing how complicated folding and unfolding can be when passers by stop and and watch you !!!!!

I used mine for my first trip this year in my Cali, they're amazingly versatile bits of kit. Amazing how complicated folding and unfolding can be when passers by stop and and watch you !!!!!
Yes, I've been practicing at home so I can do it with eyes closed and not embarrass myself. There is definitely a technique.

For me the key was to always unfold from precisely the same position - LH side, mid frame.
There's a bloke on YouTube who can unfold his in just over 5 seconds, it takes me that long to work out which is the front and back end!

There's a bloke on YouTube who can unfold his in just over 5 seconds, it takes me that long to work out which is the front and back end!
Liverpool Station 6:00am ish weekdays is another good place to see fast unfolds, by young slick city brokers. I never got the ‘one hand’ drop but in my commuting days I saw many who did.

i have bought two as new Brompton off eBay, both from lady owners who were unable to unfold. The second was selling for her father (or his estate) who has just died and had never ridden the bike from new, it had sat in his living room. When I showed her my own practiced unfold (at a guess 15 secs) I saw regret in her eyes but it was too late - and I had an as brand new 6 speed dark green dynamo, P handle for £790.

BTW, anyone buying second had can still register the bike with Brompton and they can (or could, I have not for a while) also call the company to check before purchase that it is not stolen.

Liverpool Station 6:00am ish weekdays is another good place to see fast unfolds, by young slick city brokers. I never got the ‘one hand’ drop but in my commuting days I saw many who did.

i have bought two as new Brompton off eBay, both from lady owners who were unable to unfold. The second was selling for her father (or his estate) who has just died and had never ridden the bike from new, it had sat in his living room. When I showed her my own practiced unfold (at a guess 15 secs) I saw regret in her eyes but it was too late - and I had an as brand new 6 speed dark green dynamo, P handle for £790.

BTW, anyone buying second had can still register the bike with Brompton and they can (or could, I have not for a while) also call the company to check before purchase that it is not stolen.
They are a piece of design engineering genius! I do love mine having bought it late last year, they are so solidly built and easy to ride. They fit in the back of the Cali perfectly and to me a much better alternative thank putting a bike rack on.

Not sure about others, but I've found limitations firstly some cafes are funny about you taking the folding bikes in particularly when they're busy. Also if you want to visit a town for a look around the shops/sites they're too bulky and heavy to carry around for any length of time.
I can see they're perfect for the train commute but wondering if they have their limitations when used on camping holidays?

They are a piece of design engineering genius! I do love mine having bought it late last year, they are so solidly built and easy to ride. They fit in the back of the Cali perfectly and to me a much better alternative thank putting a bike rack on.

Not sure about others, but I've found limitations firstly some cafes are funny about you taking the folding bikes in particularly when they're busy. Also if you want to visit a town for a look around the shops/sites they're too bulky and heavy to carry around for any length of time.
I can see they're perfect for the train commute but wondering if they have their limitations when used on camping holidays?
For me the principal limitation was an inability to go off road. So I also now have an electric Reise & Muller Delite for my countryside trails.

I had a look in the van today as Van-X sent me an email about stuff in my cart. I am not sure what I can actually do with the space that would be behind the cover, is there much benefit to be had?

I am planning an extra splurge on a proper carrying bag (in for a penny in for a pound and all that). Having a shoulder strap and concealing the contents will probably make it less of a hassle getting it past the store/cafe/restaurant fun police. The 7kg weight after I take off the superfluous mudguards and refectors will also help. The bag also prevents damage to the bike and cali inside the boot.

I think most proprietors concerns are focussed on the exposed oily bits and how other patrons might be affected if they happen to come in contact.

I am planning an extra splurge on a proper carrying bag (in for a penny in for a pound and all that). Having a shoulder strap and concealing the contents will probably make it less of a hassle getting it past the store/cafe/restaurant fun police. The 7kg weight after I take off the superfluous mudguards and refectors will also help. The bag also prevents damage to the bike and cali inside the boot.
It's funny you should say that, we have had occasions when the over zealous security peeps (ferries, trains, buses etc) have said "No bikes!" so even though the bikes were folded we simply put them in the green plastic gardening type bags and said with a smug face "what? these are hand luggage!" Haha, they could not argue with that. I do like the idea of the proper Brommie bags but they are eye wateringly expensive (well compared to the £380 that each bike cost back in 2006) but I should imagine compared to the price of the T Line it won't hurt (quite) as much :D

Last edited:
It's funny you should say that, we have had occasions when the over zealous security peeps (ferries, trains, buses etc) have said "No bikes!" so even though the bikes were folded we simply put them in the green plastic gardening type bags and said with a smug face "what? these are hand luggage!" Haha, they could not argue with that. I do like the idea of the proper Brommie bags but they are eye wateringly expensive (well compared to the £380 that each bike cost back in 2006) but I should imaging compared to the price of the T Line it won't hurt (quite) as much :D
A bag is the way to go. There are specific carriages on German ICE express trains which also incur an additional surcharge. Fold the Brommie, put it a bag and it goes on free and can be stored in the luggage rack above the seats. Security and convenience... win win.
I'm going to search for a used OEM bag and failing that an aftermarket one with a little padding. Since the latter tend to also be for 20" folders too a couple of decent bungees might keep the volume to a minimum with minimal puffiness.

A bag is the way to go. There are specific carriages on German ICE express trains which also incur an additional surcharge. Fold the Brommie, put it a bag and it goes on free and can be stored in the luggage rack above the seats. Security and convenience... win win.
I'm going to search for a used OEM bag and failing that an aftermarket one with a little padding. Since the latter tend to also be for 20" folders too a couple of decent bungees might keep the volume to a minimum with minimal puffiness.
That’s all very well but can you perform the obligatory wheelie that features in every T-Line ad?

Hi, as you could already read in that text posted by @Ch1pbutty , it is a gearbox lock. It has been around for quite some time and is widely installed in the Netherlands due to their insurance system. In Belgium it does not affect our premium, but I wanted to have it. It is deterrent and gives peace of mind and if it ever comes to that, a thief will need more than 20 minutes to break it. This is often too long for them.
I know some want to respond in the sense of 'if they want it, they will take it' but don't bother: I am not that indifferent about that and do see the usefulness of extra security. To each his own.
So: It is a user-friendly system, mechanical and effective. That, combined with being deterrent & the peace of mind already mentioned, was worth paying the amount that they asked for in the Netherlands at Campercentrum Amersfoort. The installation only took two hours, and it was fun to be there.
View attachment 119172
As most Californias cannot be driven away without the key/ immobiliser fob, where do you keep the key for the Bearlock?

Gosh, once upon a time in The City, a slick broker's entrance would have been in a 911 GT3RS and a haze of tyre smoke.

How responsible times have changed things. Probably for the best.

Bromptons are a work of design marvel.

Does it add practical function or have you found it to be just cosmetic?
Tarquers, it means there is a smaller second glove box that can be used instead of anything on that shelf being visible to all who walks past. I've put a first aid kit and some hi-viz vests in there.

As most Californias cannot be driven away without the key/ immobiliser fob, where do you keep the key for the Bearlock?
We have a bearlock installed as well.

You get 3 keys with the bearlock and in case of theft of the vehicle you are obligated to show all 3 keys to prove you actually used the lock. Since you can not drive the vehicle without unlocking it, you keep 1 bear lock key attached to your main car key. But removeable (with a clip) because both keys are needed to drive. The second is for your partner and the third is stored at home in a safe place. If you loose a bearlock key you have to report it.

It turns into such an automatic thing after a while (just like using your normal key) that you never forget to take the key out (lock it) when you leave or put the key in (unlock it) when you want to drive the van. It's muscle memory. I do it even when filling up.

Insurance lower your monthly cost when you have the bear lock installed and it's peace of mind. Also, you get stickers for your windows indicating you have the lock installed. This might deter thieves or at least make them consider stealing the Cali parked next to you without a bear lock ;-)

I think most proprietors concerns are focussed on the exposed oily bits and how other patrons might be affected if they happen to come in contact.
It's wrong really as they'd be hard pressed to turn away a pram or pushchair which takes up loads more room. But in these little market towns many of the cafes have never even seen a Brompton before.

I use one of those Dimpa bags as they're a fraction of the cost of the Brompton ones, but you've still got to carry them with you on the bike and it's not as quick as you think putting them in and out of the bags.

We have a bearlock installed as well.

You get 3 keys with the bearlock and in case of theft of the vehicle you are obligated to show all 3 keys to prove you actually used the lock. Since you can not drive the vehicle without unlocking it, you keep 1 bear lock key attached to your main car key. But removeable (with a clip) because both keys are needed to drive. The second is for your partner and the third is stored at home in a safe place. If you loose a bearlock key you have to report it.

It turns into such an automatic thing after a while (just like using your normal key) that you never forget to take the key out (lock it) when you leave or put the key in (unlock it) when you want to drive the van. It's muscle memory. I do it even when filling up.

Insurance lower your monthly cost when you have the bear lock installed and it's peace of mind. Also, you get stickers for your windows indicating you have the lock installed. This might deter thieves or at least make them consider stealing the Cali parked next to you without a bear lock ;-)
So the Bearlock key and ignition key are kept together especially when driving?

Come on, stop beating around the bush and give the criticism you want to air :Grin

Last edited:
Back