SITREP.

North Norfolk
Temp 15 deg
Wind 18mph North
Rain angle 35deg
Heater - On 27 deg.
Appalling.
Considering opening a vain

I genuinely pity anyone who has to holiday in this country, with kids. By day three you must be ready to sell a vital organ just to get away from the pain.
If you were booked into a chalet for a week I could understand your frustration, but you're in a Campervan. It has 4 wheels and an engine, so move it!

How about North or Northwest?

Clarkson Farming. Ep 3.
(See alternative thread)

If you were booked into a chalet for a week I could understand your frustration, but you're in a Campervan. It has 4 wheels and an engine, so move it!

How about North or Northwest?
Took long enough to find this site/availability!!

Took long enough to find this site/availability!!
CL or Cs sites. Often have facilities but no EHU so avoided by big whites.

CL or Cs sites. Often have facilities but no EHU so avoided by big whites.
Agree, still quite a bit of availability for the summer on sites without electric. These sites also tend to be more similar to a field than a car park.

i went away with a big white owner recently, they constantly moaned about lack of ehu and showers even though they had a shower onboard (covid shut the showers), they went home early. big white owners LOVE facilities for some reason.go somewhere where there aren't any,less facilities the better it is i find. as said cls or cs . as for the weather, buy a coat.

SITREP.

North Norfolk
Temp 15 deg
Wind 18mph North
Rain angle 35deg
Heater - On 27 deg.
Appalling.

I genuinely pity anyone who has to holiday in this country, with kids. By day three you must be ready to sell a vital organ just to get away from the pain.
Get to the pub. Pint on, fried food on, football on and all will be well

i went away with a big white owner recently, they constantly moaned about lack of ehu and showers even though they had a shower onboard (covid shut the showers), they went home early. big white owners LOVE facilities for some reason.go somewhere where there aren't any,less facilities the better it is i find. as said cls or cs . as for the weather, buy a coat.
when I looked at bigger vans with showers etc, everyone I spoke to didn't use the shower in them.
I conclude they were a waste and ended up with the Cali, what you save on fuel plays for the showers etc and we are not strangers to the flannel wash !

when I looked at bigger vans with showers etc, everyone I spoke to didn't use the shower in them.
I conclude they were a waste and ended up with the Cali, what you save on fuel plays for the showers etc and we are not strangers to the flannel wash !
And you can park in town after driving at 80mph for hours not getting beeped at by BMW drivers rolling their eyes

SITREP.

North Norfolk
Temp 15 deg
Wind 18mph North
Rain angle 35deg
Heater - On 27 deg.
Appalling.

Thats exactly why we changed to a cali from a big white, I've seen more films in cinemas on wet days in August than any other time.

At least with a cali you stand a chance of getting a parking space at the cinema / bowling alley / shopping centre etc.

Weather at home much better for the rest of the week.
Bailing out.

We’ve had over 40 UK days away since campsites opened in April. During that time we‘ve had about 30 David days (David Van Day, you know 80’s teeth and hair) due to horrible weather. It was during this time we found the Cali reduced in size so much that we got cabin fever, had a few fights, didn’t speak for days and considered what to do next. Hopefully we complete the sale of Cali on Saturday. Would this of happened had we’d been enjoying the best of Europe?? Planning on picking up a 540 PVC next month so we have a bit more space to enjoy the rain.
Pvc will look great in the rain

I use my hot shower all the time and it’s bliss and don’t need a campsite for about a week.

It's not just the UK. We bailed out of a very wet Switzerland with limited visibility last summer. 3-4 hours drive and it was cracking the flags in France. Camping in the pouring rain is crap, wherever you are.

Bailing out is a bit defeatist I’ll admit but , with such limited availability everywhere touring about/chasing weather isn’t an option. We lost days trying to sort sites for a week.

Touring can be different things to different people. I’ve never been fond of doing stuff in the van each day before just finding any old site to get the head down before moving on the next day.
I prefer to find a good site, get installed then go off cycling to explore. Min two night rule.

The UK is great for a weekend but a camping holiday? Roll on end of COVID then normal cross channel service can resume.

Bailing out is a bit defeatist I’ll admit but , with such limited availability everywhere touring about/chasing weather isn’t an option. We lost days trying to sort sites for a week.

Touring can be different things to different people. I’ve never been fond of doing stuff in the van each day before just finding any old site to get the head down before moving on the next day.
I prefer to find a good site, get installed then go off cycling to explore. Min two night rule.

The UK is great for a weekend but a camping holiday? Roll on end of COVID then normal cross channel service can resume.
I'm trying to convince the girlfriend that France will "be reet" by the end of September. I think the wiser of the two of us may be right... Wales it is.

Anyone been watching the appalling weather in France and the rest of Europe ? They are getting the worst of it so stay home seems better at the mo, it’s a fallacy that (near) Europe gets better weather all the time.

Last edited:
I'm trying to convince the girlfriend that France will "be reet" by the end of September. I think the wiser of the two of us may be right... Wales it is.
Just been reading up on the potentialness of that. I’m confident. I think it’ll be ok. I’m banking on it. Not sure my psychic defences can take another winter without at least two weeks of hot sunshine/decent food/drink etc.

Promise me you have an actual 037 sat in the garage?

Below quite a handy weather app - aimed at surfing but still good; Data is refreshed on regular basis so good for accurate pressure charts etc:

Moan alert:

We are currently having a "staycation" with three of our grandkids on the Romney Marsh. Today we enjoyed a great day out with the girls 7 and 9, going for a clip clop this morning and swimming at the nearest decent swimming/leisure centre in Eastbourne this afternoon. On the way back we decided to park up in Hastings and have a few rides in the fun fair. The eldest aged nine has always wanted to go on a roller coaster and this amusement Park has the nearest thing, albeit in miniature, for many miles.
The time was 6:30pm on a warm sunny evening in the height of the holiday season in August. The pubs were doing a roaring trade and like us many families were out strolling up and down the sea front.

So having parked the car and paid for our ticket we went to the amusement park concerned only to find it had just closed!!!

I queried it with a member of staff on the gate and she just shrugged. Now my point is this: What on earth is a seaside fun fair doing closing at 6:30pm in August. In the absence of any explanation by that staff member, I can only assume that is normal company practice. Poor show. Very poor show.

Can you imagine this sort of thing happening at other holiday destinations elsewhere? No nor can I. After this we drove back via Rye where there was a travelling fun fair that was in full swing. However by this time it was getting too close to their bed time so I didn't draw their attention to it and drove on.

That's it gripe over.