Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Custom build - 2020 Westfalia Club Joker 4Motion - Offroad build thread

Interesting tow bar hitch design. Whats the purpose for the articulation?

So I can mount my bike rack (Thule Epos) and the handle bars don’t hit the box. Also allows you to swing outwards to open the hatch instead of tilting down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s really handy. I also have a storage box for the hitch and when that’s fully loaded it’s much easier to swing to the side versus tilting down. Never enough storage with 2 young kids!

What’s the make of the swing out setup? Only seen them for a US style hitch before, easy enough to fit?

What’s the make of the swing out setup? Only seen them for a US style hitch before, easy enough to fit?

Here you go! Super easy to mount as it mounts on your existing towball. Supports a maximum of 65Kg.

Thanks. That makes so much more sense than anything else for bikes. Time for shopping (again)

Absolutely! When you order you need to decide if you want to swing left or swing right. I have a LHD so I swing right so the bikes are curbside if parked on a street and also near the sliding door. The choice is yours.

Also LHD but I need to think about what works. Assume you leave it on all the time? Does it affect parking sensors?

Also LHD but I need to think about what works. Assume you leave it on all the time? Does it affect parking sensors?

Yes, the rear camera works fine but you will have a beep in the rear. Doesn’t bother me as I prefer to leave it on ready to go. You really need to torque it down firmly with a wrench on the existing towball.

Here you go! Super easy to mount as it mounts on your existing towball. Supports a maximum of 65Kg.

I wonder if it’s possible to mount a tyre carrier to it?

These just arrived. Need to clean the van and test them tomorrow! @wildslammer22
e9400f924265d4118a72897f5f28e103.jpg

Haven’t used my MFT backbox since I got the Hess Heckbox and the swing away. Managed to fit it but man was that a tight fit! Had to use some rubber seals on the top to prevent scratching but it works!
71ffa070835038334754c24918444e2b.jpg

e0923973ab866ce1f6e50c697bc8c078.jpg

b1395468184b2803685b3b003711eda4.jpg

d801f22c35935ddd571b1049e2ab5069.jpg

Finally a sunny day to test some Solar! I've deployed the following today:

- 200 Watts on the roof fixed
- 220 Watt Ecoflow bifacial panel hanging from the airline rail on the side of the van
- 420 Watt PowerOak panel on the ground
Total 840 Watts deployed.

Winter is a struggle due to the angle of the sun as many know. Roof panels sit flat and therefore struggle with this angle. I'm really pleased with the Ecoflow panel as it's getting excellent power. I'm a little disappointed with the PowerOak panel as it is barely keeping up with the EcoFlow even though it has double the power potential. Next time I will instead bring a 400 watt Ecoflow panel to replace the PowerOak as it's sitting in my garage.

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 10.55.27.png

View attachment IMG_4664.jpeg

@Webbah_in_Switzerland What are these? Just curious

These are the magnets to attach the Cali awning legs to the side of the van. They work a treat, great for quick pitching the awning on hard ground where you can’t peg out. Also no legs as trip/dog lead hazard. I’ve tested it in 30mph gusts and it was solid with none of creaking you get when legs are pegged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@wildslammer22 sounds like a good solution. I might be a little wary about stress on the body panels in windy conditions. However, I can see the rear one is at the edge of the body panel, so seems low risk. Is the front one similar?

Just be mindful with the sliding door ;)

@wildslammer22 sounds like a good solution. I might be a little wary about stress on the body panels in windy conditions. However, I can see the rear one is at the edge of the body panel, so seems low risk. Is the front one similar?

Yes, I mount the front one at the bottom of the door panel in front of the door jamb so that’s equally solid as the rear clamp. No panel flex. Just have to make sure the bodywork is clean before you mount them!

Just be mindful with the sliding door ;)

Indeed, you have to mount the rear one as per the photo to avoid fouling the sliding door. Although it could be useful for double locking troublesome toddlers in the van…