Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Custom build - 2020 Westfalia Club Joker 4Motion - Offroad build thread

@Webbah_in_Switzerland. Is the Joker awning made by Thule or Fiamma?

Thule, but as it’s a LWB it’s a bit longer than the Cali version. Also doesn’t come with the seal to prevent water/rain from ingress next to the roof so I resolved that with some weatherproof expanding foam tape. Works even better than the Thule seal they sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thule, but as it’s a LWB it’s a bit longer than the Cali version. Also doesn’t come with the seal to prevent water/rain from ingress next to the roof so I resolved that with some weatherproof expanding foam tape. Works even better than the Thule seal they sell.

Thats great, have just ordered the magnets for the awning. Would you have a link / photo of the tape type?

Thats great, have just ordered the magnets for the awning. Would you have a link / photo of the tape type?

Unfortunately no, but I can check with my mechanic. He ordered it for me and suggested it vs the Thule seal.

Here’s a photo of the magnets in action today with rain:

6f44f476fc5f1c6b74079a991b671681.jpg

I feel like this is an obvious question so maybe I'm being daft, but what's the advantage of having the awning legs mounted to the vehicle rather than on the ground? Is it to make them effectively with "built in tie-downs" or something else?

I feel like this is an obvious question so maybe I'm being daft, but what's the advantage of having the awning legs mounted to the vehicle rather than on the ground? Is it to make them effectively with "built in tie-downs" or something else?

I’m on hard pavement so staking it down is not possible. Also more stable with heavier winds.

And I would add if you have small kids or dogs it removes the trip hazard of legs pegged to the ground. Also you can pitch the awning just a couple of feet out n bad weather to make entry and exit sheltered for the sliding door and preventing (or at heat mitigating) rain ingress into the van

I would add that these provide a no fuss no mess setup. Takes 30 seconds to out up or take down, and no messy or dirty pegs or legs to deal with.

And I would add if you have small kids or dogs it removes the trip hazard of legs pegged to the ground. Also you can pitch the awning just a couple of feet out n bad weather to make entry and exit sheltered for the sliding door and preventing (or at heat mitigating) rain ingress into the van

Also saves the ‘strong man’ contest of pulling the storm pegs back out of the ground, that you battered into the ground with a rubber mallet.

Plenty of good reasons then! Yes the trip hazard is particularly valid; we use the Thule tie-downs and the pegs are pretty savage things.

@Webbah_in_Switzerland

Hi, would you have a photo / plan of your roof solar panel layout. Many thanks

Hi there, it’s a bit rainy today and likely the next days but I’d be happy to take a photo for you once things clear up. Essentially setup like this…. I am now using 2*100 watt BougeRV CIGS panels. These are excellent to deal with potential shading as they have 48 bypass diodes per panel.

The rear panel is side to side with the edge against the front roof vent.

The front panel is front to back with the rear edge against the front roof vent.

Both panels are connected in parallel to further help with any potential shading between panels.

@Webbah_in_Switzerland

Hi, would you have a photo / plan of your roof solar panel layout. Many thanks
One thing I have noticed after switching to the CIGS panels is the roof noise in hail or rain is dampened significantly. Still have noise due to the Dometic roof vents and their plexiglass covers, but reduced significantly nonetheless which leads to a nice nights sleep!

I also did another mod I will take a photo of tomorrow and share. I had my mechanic modify my air suspension to add another air hose with shutoff valve and a quick connect for an air hose under the bonnet.
Now this I want!

@Webbah_in_Switzerland when you say "my mechanic", is this Büel Garage? if so, I'll have a chat with Sven next time I'm there to see if he can pull the same trick with my VB Air

My setup also has a plate with four valves like that. I figured it should be possible to tap into the compressor, but it's another project that was currently on the "list" to look at when I could. But if Sven can do it, then I'll have it crossed off my list :).

Totally unnecessary, but I'm looking forward to seeing mtb buddies jaws drop :D. Any idea what pressure these suspension compressors can pump out? I doubt it'll inflate a road bike tyre to pressure (6 bar)

My setup also has a plate with four valves like that. I figured it should be possible to tap into the compressor, but it's another project that was currently on the "list" to look at when I could. But if Sven can do it, then I'll have it crossed off my list :).

Totally unnecessary, but I'm looking forward to seeing mtb buddies jaws drop :D. Any idea what pressure these suspension compressors can pump out? I doubt it'll inflate a road bike tyre to pressure (6 bar)

The Goldschmidt system is kept at 15 bar. I can inflate anything. But this also means you MUST shut off the valve and release the air pressure from the hose before removing. Or the next time you want to use it you’ll be fighting 15 bar of pressure to push the hose onto the connector.

The Goldschmidt system is kept at 15 bar. I can inflate anything. But this also means you MUST shut off the valve and release the air pressure from the hose before removing. Or the next time you want to use it you’ll be fighting 15 bar of pressure to push the hose onto the connector.
:shocked

Pretty sure VB Air won't be that far off. Good to know

It’s another reason to get air suspension, I’m still struggling to justify the £6000+ that VB costs over here but I’m nudging ever closer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk