Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Custom build - 2020 Westfalia Club Joker 4Motion - Offroad build thread

i found that a bit hard not sure if i am doing the right thing but just done 500miles at 3.1 and it seems a lot better

Well my van is much heavier I assume. I’m typically running with 3.2 ton load on a 3.5 ton chassis. Anything lower than 3.5 and it feels too soft and not planted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually 70 liters for both:

Economising on water? Not in the new Club Joker, thanks to the powerful hot water system and the generous tanks with 70 l fresh and 70 l waste water
Do you find that the level indicators are not much use?

I was travelling up the M23 last Saturday afternoon and I saw a beautiful Indium Club Joker heading in the opposite direct down the south bound carriageway, could it have been you @ArunAlec ?

I was travelling up the M23 last Saturday afternoon and I saw a beautiful Indium Club Joker heading in the opposite direct down the south bound carriageway, could it have been you @ArunAlec ?
We were southbound on the M23 but on Friday, coming back from Abbey Wood and seeing Peter Kay at the O2!

Nice catch! Absolutely love them. They are silent!

I think I’ll be going for the wild peak once the comforser CF1100 wear out.
How long for AT tyres to wear out on 99% highway use ?

Love the fresh water supply system.
Looking great man !

Hard to say as it depends on the compound. I just put my BFG’s for sale and they sold within 48 hours.

Could be an idea if I get some Wildpeaks….
Not sure how well the comforsers would sell…
I could do a tester.
I’ve got some Bridgestones 18” up for sale and not one hit…

Could be an idea if I get some Wildpeaks….
Not sure how well the comforsers would sell…
I could do a tester.
I’ve got some Bridgestones 18” up for sale and not one hit…

The Wildpeaks are very reasonably priced with a longer warranty than the BFG’s. I paid 580 Chf for a full set!

I think I’ll be going for the wild peak once the comforser CF1100 wear out.
How long for AT tyres to wear out on 99% highway use ?

BFG’s would be good for between 50-70,000 miles depending on where and how you drive. Well over 30,000 on mine and still have 6mm on the front and 7mm on the back!

BFG’s would be good for between 50-70,000 miles depending on where and how you drive. Well over 30,000 on mine and still have 6mm on the front and 7mm on the back!

I found they start to get much noisier as they age. Even with rotating them. The Wildpeaks are 71 db rated while the BFG’s were 74 db. Every 3 db increase is double the noise a human ear can hear.

I found they start to get much noisier as they age. Even with rotating them. The Wildpeaks are 71 db rated while the BFG’s were 74 db. Every 3 db increase is double the noise a human ear can hear.

TBH the noise isn’t so much of an issue for me (I like loud music!) but the ride is pretty harsh which is the price you pay for the BFG’s durability (mine are load rated to 109 so pretty bullet proof). I’d be interested to hear you thoughts on how the Wildpeaks ride in comparison?

TBH the noise isn’t so much of an issue for me (I like loud music!) but the ride is pretty harsh which is the price you pay for the BFG’s durability (mine are load rated to 109 so pretty bullet proof). I’d be interested to hear you thoughts on how the Wildpeaks ride in comparison?

It was t easy for me to dump the BFG’s. They are durable and tough and look the part! I played a lot with different air pressures and found 3.5 to 3.6 bar cold was the best for ride and comfort. I drive 40% city, 40-50% highway and 10-20 % off-road, gravel, etc. nothing too hardcore though. The problem for me was mostly as they aged, and also during large temperature changes with heat waves, cold snaps or just autumn and spring. When temps vary by 20C or more during a day the air pressure in tires changes more dramatically than during stable seasonal periods. With the BFG’s it started to make me nuts in the city driving 40-60 Kmh. And constantly adjusting air pressure to maintain noise was not convenient. A recent long sprint from Switzerland to the North East coast of Italy during a heat wave with cold nights did me in and I decided to make the swap. And it wasn’t the first time as I had tried already swapping to Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus’s but found those to be noisy as well but with a different tone/pitch.

The Wildpeaks were being tested by my mechanic on his rental Cali “Explorer” series. He had tried Coopers, General Grabbers, Pirreli’s, Yokohama Geolanders, and others. He knew what I was searching for and offered to let me take the van for a longer test drive to check out these tires. I was sold! Super quiet, planted and firm (the have an interesting sidewall with 4 ply near the bead and 2 ply mid sidewall for stability and comfort), etc.

The BFG’s would heat up and pressure would increase from 3.5 to 4.1 bar quite easily and this would also make them noisier for me unless I maintained pressures. The Wildpeaks tend to go from 3.5 to 3.8 bar and I don’t hear any difference in noise.

I love the look of the BFG’s and the extra confidence they would give if going hardcore off-road, but for my use case of 80-90% on road and 10-20% mild off-road, rain and snow the Wildpeaks win hands down. Oddly enough they look very similar to the Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus so I was concerned they might have a similar sound profile. But I was pleasantly surprised. I finally found my ideal tire after 3 swaps in 14 months.

Sorry for the wall of text!

It was t easy for me to dump the BFG’s. They are durable and tough and look the part! I played a lot with different air pressures and found 3.5 to 3.6 bar cold was the best for ride and comfort. I drive 40% city, 40-50% highway and 10-20 % off-road, gravel, etc. nothing too hardcore though. The problem for me was mostly as they aged, and also during large temperature changes with heat waves, cold snaps or just autumn and spring. When temps vary by 20C or more during a day the air pressure in tires changes more dramatically than during stable seasonal periods. With the BFG’s it started to make me nuts in the city driving 40-60 Kmh. And constantly adjusting air pressure to maintain noise was not convenient. A recent long sprint from Switzerland to the North East coast of Italy during a heat wave with cold nights did me in and I decided to make the swap. And it wasn’t the first time as I had tried already swapping to Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus’s but found those to be noisy as well but with a different tone/pitch.

The Wildpeaks were being tested by my mechanic on his rental Cali “Explorer” series. He had tried Coopers, General Grabbers, Pirreli’s, Yokohama Geolanders, and others. He knew what I was searching for and offered to let me take the van for a longer test drive to check out these tires. I was sold! Super quiet, planted and firm (the have an interesting sidewall with 4 ply near the bead and 2 ply mid sidewall for stability and comfort), etc.

The BFG’s would heat up and pressure would increase from 3.5 to 4.1 bar quite easily and this would also make them noisier for me unless I maintained pressures. The Wildpeaks tend to go from 3.5 to 3.8 bar and I don’t hear any difference in noise.

I love the look of the BFG’s and the extra confidence they would give if going hardcore off-road, but for my use case of 80-90% on road and 10-20% mild off-road, rain and snow the Wildpeaks win hands down. Oddly enough they look very similar to the Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus so I was concerned they might have a similar sound profile. But I was pleasantly surprised. I finally found my ideal tire after 3 swaps in 14 months.

Sorry for the wall of text!

Sounds familiar to my story !
I’ll be searching for some wildpeaks..

I’ve found these size for my 17”
But again only 102 Load rating …

Falken Wildpeak AT3WA All Terrain​

225/65R17 102H​

AT3wa sorry

This to be exact. Prices are in CHf.
24fe127b831e263ce1c84ed3fbabd962.png